Necro Assault = Epic Blizzard Fail

Fair warning - this is going to be a rant post.

So as I’m sure some of you know, there was/is a bug with one of the Necro Assault quests (Putting A Plan Together, in which one of the three large pieces does not register as being returned) which prevents you from completing it with any kind of consistency, thus preventing those of us impacted from completing the Necro Assault. Although not the biggest deal, to me this is just a prime example of just how terrible Blizzard is at times when it comes to this game.

First of all, the assault went live late on Friday, which means unless Blizzard assigned a crew specifically to review/fix bugs over the weekend, any issues that arose would likely need to wait until Monday to address, which makes so much sense seeing as the Assault ends Tuesday morning, giving Blizzard roughly 36ish hours to fix any important issues…you know, like quest-breaking bugs. Then, they announce last night that they’ve hotfixed the issue and everything should be good…except, you know, for the fact that it still doesn’t work. For a lot of people. At all.

Look, I’m not a programmer, and I certainly can appreciate that some bugs are hard to fix, but when you intentionally set yourself up to fail by giving yourself very little time if anything goes wrong, then you tell folks that the issue is fixed when in fact it clearly isn’t, and by the time anyone who can do anything about it realizes the problem it will be too late…so, so frustrating. Things like this literally should not and cannot happen, even if the relative impact is somewhat minor overall. All it would have taken is just a little bit of foresight and maybe just a little more effort and this could have been avoided/resolved.

[end rant]

3 Likes

Yes it sucks and I 100% agree major issues like this should have warranted a weekend crew (I can’t fathom there isn’t people working staggered shifts to have 24/7 coverage even if the “A team” isn’t always around.

That all said…there were options people could take. Joining a group and seeing if their shard worked was viable as was going to warmode and seeing if it worked then (which my friend, who is on my realm, had to do…I had no problems doing it 4x over the weekend).

Supposedly some got it to work dropping and picking the quest back up (or so they said). It’ll be back though and it isn’t like the rewards are so critical and dire that a missed assault is going to set anyone permanently behind in any event.

1 Like

Totally agree - I’m ranting less about the overall/lasting impact and more about how dumb it is that this even was allowed to happen.

FWIW, I did try all the fixes people posted about here and elsewhere, to no avail. At one point this morning there were nine gloves/hands in the yellow ring all just sitting there - if only anyone had some Infinity Stones lying around…

1 Like

I did it twice and I didn’t experience any bug. Are you sure you walked it all the way into the area?

Sadly, yes. Tried joining a group, relogging, dropping the quest, etc. - always it was the glove/hand that wouldn’t register. Lots of others were having the same issue this morning with me.

I also did post about this in the Bug Report forum, for all the good it will do.

1 Like

I was able to complete it no problem, however I have to say the entire assault was painful and I’ll probably skip it next time…

I believe the 2nd weekly assault happens late Friday so that there is equal time for both assaults per week. I also did not experience any issues (did the quest on 3 toons).

Did it on 3 toons, zero issues. Kevin on the other hand … I need a word with him!

i did not experience this on either character that did the assault. not saying other people didn’t… but it’s not always as simple to pin down a bug as you might think.

this was definitely the most annoying of the assaults, though. stuck in combat after exiting vehicles. weird aggro issues with big packs of elites. etc.

2 Likes

my main didn’t have a problem with the parts tallying up quest progress.

instead, the NPC to turn in the quest was missing for about 10 minutes, didn’t reappear until i noticed someone else dragging their parts over. maw tended to lag spike as i did the assaults, but that might just be my ISP and/or VPN being lousy

Totally appreciate that! What makes this rant worthy (at least to me) is the fact they reported last night that it was fixed…only it isn’t, at least not across the board. The timing of everything makes it so because they didn’t actually fix it in time, some of us lost out on completing it.

Poor planning + not telling people the correct information + no time left = rant

1 Like

Don’t worry boys… They’ll have the Chains of Domination beta ready for release by August if they hurry.

Did the Necrolord assault over the weekend

Didn’t have a problem with Kevin, getting Kyrian parts, saving the souls to make them maldraxxus soldiers, nothing

Kevin ate things like he was supposed to

Yeah, it worked for some of my characters and others were bugged.

Also, I don’t know if this is related but I only had the bug when grouping with others.

Had the hand-dragging problem when I did the invasion. Tried grouping and moving to another phase, but that didn’t help (nor did it help the people I was grouped with). I had to drop and restart the quest, at which point it immediately gave me credit for the hand it wasn’t seeing on the previous run, then had to gather the other two pieces again.

No problems on my end but a friend played late at night when there wasn’t as many players and said it was buggy and unplayable.

The Kevin thing people experience is either a bug or just the way the quest was designed. I would get credit for every other mob that I killed, but some people said he only ate if you landed the killing blow. I just assumed Kevin’s internal meter requires 2-3 mobs before it counts as a glow up.

Some guy claims it took him an hour to complete and I’m just not buying that.

Amusingly enough, I only started the Kevin quest this morning after the hotfix had been applied, and I got credit for every single kill. Took maybe three minutes (if that), so clearly Blizzard knows how to fix stuff…sometimes.

oh, so it was a bug? well good to know they were quick to address the problem. guess I got lucky since there was so many players in the area to help feed.

The only problem I had was waiting on the Mad Maw Construct to spawn and get the last quartered stone ring piece. He would spawn then die instantly before I got the other 3 pieces and had like a 20 min respawn timer. Had to wait that timer out twice.

WoW Hotfixes – Updated July 12 - Community / General Discussion - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

• Kevin will now provide credit after eating enemies if he lands the killing blow for “Somebody Feed Kevin.”
  • Dragging centurion pieces to Mikanikos during the quest “Putting A Plan Together” should now be more reliable.