"nearest target" macro?

is there any possible way to make ‘nearest target’ actually mean NEAREST target with a macro or something?
that cycling thru targets that aint even in the same room is really annoying when running in closed in spaces.

9 Likes

They can’t even fix the current targeting system. I remember them saying you won’t be able to target targets out of your casting range and that doesn’t even work.

Early MoP it worked better then it does now, I don’t know why they don’t go back to it. My current to last target and back to current macro worked great then, now it targets something over that way unless it’s just the 2 mobs by me.

9 Likes

its only a real problem when Im in a tight area where youre looking from behind instead of above, such as the stockades. My screen isnt 3D. I have no depth perception, obviously, so when I cant look from on high at the battle there are times when I think Ive got something targeted in this room and its actually in the next. Not caused any wipes or anything, but I hate being the idiot who has to say “sorry…my bad” when I pull in the entire next room over it.
its quite absurd to even CALL it ‘nearest target’ when it is anything but.

Just hoping someone had figured out a way to macro it by now or something. Really annoying at times

/cleartarget
/targetenemy [noexists][dead]

15 Likes

Thats looks very interesting. Thanks. Definitely giving it a try.

2 Likes

You can drop the /cleartarget if you want. This is what i use to target closest enemy in certain pvp situations. If you bake that in with your normal spells it will clear the target each time and grab the closest in your line of sight. Which can be troublesome in pve.

1 Like

no…actually I just tried it and it seems to work as you put it up there really well.
I think the clear target will help just in case it tries to cycle on me.
Thanks again.

1 Like

I think this solved the problem for me. Been a while, cannot remember if it is the right threat.

1 Like

yeah…just hit a room with four targets. As they moved in I hit them and every time it hit the nearest target.
Be cool if this is all it took :smiley:

usually if I keep hitting a button it’ll just cycle thru everything I can see.
Now its actually holding a single closest target until THAT one is dead, then it moves to the next closest.
Fanflippintastic!

/cleartarget
/cast crackling jade lightning

3 Likes

It’s best to turn your camera towards whatever you’re trying to tab target, cuz that’s how the game decides what to target.

2 Likes

problem is distance, not direction. that combine with low ceilings where I cant pan above, but have a shot from behind. Without depth perception on a 2D monitor I cant always tell if Ive locked in on something ‘nearest’ to me or in the next room if its a direct, clear shot. In a fight where its fast paced Im finding too often that a shot was fired before I realize I had something targeted I didnt want to target over in the next room thru the doorway.

This macro is working perfectly. it refuses to let go of the nearest target till its dead, then moves to the next nearest target. Ive been playing with it since I made this thread and so far, knock on wood, its worked exactly how I wanted it to every single time.

edit.
After a while using it I have to say this is probably the most helpful macro Ive used so far for combat. I havent hit an unwanted target yet.
I only put it on one ranged attack on my rotation so I can lock in on that one, then pound it with the rest of the rotation spells. Doesnt seem to need to be on all of them. So if i need to target something out further I can still do it, just dont use the one spell that has it macroed.
Working like a frikking charm so far.

thanks again

3 Likes

Thank you for this Macro this actually works!

/cleartarget

1 Like

Tab
? not that one
Tab Tab
Ah already dead!!!

Using [@mouseover][harm] can be good option, too
But it seems that you are melee…
I dunno nearest target matters? Just curious
I always hit the one with most hps… to maximize my dps hehe
Of course unless there’re some affixes or sth that I hv to deal with

and i believe this one should do the same, but prioritizing ur focus target’s target, for instance if u have focus on a tank.

/cleartarget
/assist [@focus,exists]
/targetenemy [noharm][noexists][dead]
/startattack

2 Likes

finally thank you

I’m a paladin in tbc classic. I needed to attack targets in melee range.

/showtooltip
/cleartarget
/targetnearestene [noexist][dead]
/startattack

Worked very well for me.

5 Likes

very good pro tip!

1 Like

Baps pally with newspaper :newspaper_roll:

Bad necro… bad!

2 Likes