Naming Characters

I’m brand new to WoW and am wondering about the limitations on character naming.

I’m trying to stay in the realm of racial/profession accuracy.

Help?!?

Unless you are on an RP server, names are not that restricted. You are not allowed to use a name that’s offensive but even that relies on someone to report you for Blizzard to pay attention. You are also not allowed to use a name that’s already in use by another player on your server. Aside from all that, your choices are as wide as your imagination.

1 Like

Tried to use names with titles (Lord, Lady, Sir, etc) but get the general answer of only one name is allowed.

How can a person who wants to use an apostrophe ( ’ ) in an orcish or elven name get a workaround?

Actually, there are some restriction on names that apply to all realm types.
You can’t use names that are obvious reference to a copyrighted or trademarked name.

You can’t use names that refer to public figures or institutions, sexual innuendo, certain body parts, etc.

You can’t use names that contain titles.

Blizzards policy is reactive, if a name is reported, it goes into a queue for review. The more reports, the higher it moves up in the queue but all reports will be eventually reviewed. The fact that the name may be in use by others on different realms, just means it hasn’t been reported yet, it does not mean it is not in violation.

If a reported name is found to violate standards, the user will be promoted to change the name the next time they attempt to login to the character.
Changing the name to the same thing, or something very similar results in penalties including game suspensions. Having a history of repeated naming violations results him higher penalties.

1 Like

The naming system can be pretty limited. No last names, no apostrophe’s even though it’s common in many NPC names. No titles (as you’ve seen.)

On RP servers, it’s very common for people to use a roleplaying addon which lets you write up extra character information that other players with compatable mods can see. This will include a full name for your character that isn’t limited by the game’s restrictions. You can use it on non-RP realms as well, there just won’t be that many players using the addons that can see it.

There are also a whole bunch of titles you can earn in game that you can use with your character. As an example, on Udiza I’m using the “of Sen’jin” title, so in game people see her as “Udiza of Sen’jin.” (You can also see it if you view her profile here.) Some titles will go before your name, and others after. In Legion, doing the Class Hall campaigns give class specific titles. So, if I wanted, I could use “High Priest Udiza.”

1 Like

Be cleaver. I got weslysnips,and flavaflame(mage)

Why can’t you name a character Jesus or some derivation of Jesus? Is Jesus Offensive? Mohamed is available. Just curious. I tried multiple variations and it wouldn’t allow it.