Nameplates Visible from 1000 yards away

Plunderstorm - Nameplate Distance Trick
The community has found a way to easily see players and NPCs in the distance by adjusting the Minimum Character Name Size setting to 20 or higher. This setting can be found in Accessibility, in the General panel.

Any fix incoming for this?

7 Likes

It’s an accessibility feature. “Fixing” it would affect the games accessibility. This would be a bad thing. (And we already know that Plunderstorm UI stuff bleeds into the actual game. Have you reset your status text today?)

2 Likes

Yeah it’s essentially ESP for Plunderstorm.

3 Likes

Definitely needs a fix. Hiding and sneak attacks are a big part of the game play.

If they want to put everyone on an even playing field, just get rid of nameplates altogether in this mode.

8 Likes

well, name plates for players , not the mobs, course you have to remember to change back any graphics changes so that your WoW isnt borked

Making the nameplates larger to make them easier to read is fine as an accessibility option. That same feature making it so you can practically see nameplates on the other side of the map sounds like an unintended side effect and it should probably be adjusted.

If they wanted to make it so mobs and players only load in a certain radius around the player in Plunderstorm, that would probably be fine from an accessibility standpoint. I’m less sure it would be acceptable form a battle royal standpoint — it would probably exacerbate latency disadvantages.

I never messed with the setting while I was doing the grind, as whatever it was at default felt comfortable to me. (It felt like I have it set in retail, which is 6 or 8. Anything bigger and I start getting visual overload in dense areas.) At that size, I can’t really read the names of far away stuff clearly (although I can recognize the “shape” of mob names once I’ve learned them) but I can see where stuff is without visual overload. The minute I saw people setting it to 20 for Plunderstorm, I’m like, that sounds unpleasant. But most people don’t have my visual overload issues, I suppose. Maybe because I’m used to doing names by shape in retail, I don’t see the advantage of 20 over 8 in Plunderstorm. It would just be extra visual clutter.

I’m still mad over the nameplate distance thing. Because Classic players kept finding work around for the short nameplate range in Classic, they locked them down, which also affected retail, locking them at 60, which was much further than I usually set them, and made certain areas cause visual overload for me. They fixed it so BC Classic could adjust them, but it took years for that to get added back to retail. (Oh, and Plunderstorm messed that up in retail too.) So, yes, I’m afraid of a “fix” that messes up retail.

Except this isn’t actually nameplates. (People are using the wrong word here.) It’s just the name of the mobs/players being made bigger. You still can’t see it through stuff. The difference in Plunderstorm is that you can see stuff loaded all across the map. In the main game, stuff is only loaded in in a small radius around the player (usually — there are exceptions like the Fel Reavers in Hellfire Penninsula that seem to load in for a good chunk of the zone.)

And removing names entirely is an accessibility issue. I rely on the contrast color to see stuff, as I often can’t quickly process the more complicated actual mob/player shape.

Huh that not that a thing, then agian I don’t know most hte contorl eyt MOslty I just do with out.

This option was nerfed today. you can no longer see any name whatsoever from far away

1 Like

It’s still bugged in retail bg’s

1 Like

So, Blizzard literally stripped out an accessibility option. (I just popped into the lobby, where I verified that they just flat out removed names just past the nameplate radius.)

I’ll just quote myself here as I posted why flat out removing names would be an issue:

I’m guess I’m glad I got my grind done, as the game is basically unplayable for me. What was a somewhat fun game mode is now something Blizzard has decided they don’t want me to be able to play. It’s incredibly disappointing to see how quickly Blizzard is willing to toss disabled players aside.

Thank you for beta testing our new game. Here’s your parrot :slight_smile:

That is anaccessibility feature, but with an UNINTENDED EFFECT… which is LITERALLY an ESP.

Tell me you haven’t watched or play any BR game without telling me you haven’t watched or play any BR game.

That GIVE THE LOCATION OF EVERY MOB AND PLAYERS AROUND YOU.

That is LITERALLY BROKEN…

Thank god they fixed that

They could put like a Hunter ability that could do like “Humanoid Tracking” or “Beast Tracking” as an ability though.

It’s not an issue, removing name is the brest thing they could have done for a fair battlefield(minus RNG)

SO you can’t play the game without an ESP cheat? Dear god…

Sorry to hear that you are disabled, but it’s not an excuse to play with cheat.

1 Like

In that case, they need to remove the whole model from visibility outside the range, not just the name.