Name unavailable

So I’m trying to use a name to make a new character, and I got the “name unavailable” message.

I really wanted the name so I decided to search and see who had it. The problem is I cannot find any character with the name.

I’ve searched my realm, the Blizzard website, everything I can think of. I even googled it with “world of Warcraft” hoping something would pop up.

As far as I can tell the name isn’t being used, so what gives?

P.S. wasn’t really are where to post this so feel free to move it if this isn’t the proper place

1 Like

You won’t be able to find lvl 1 characters with that name I believe. People also used to be able to hold names on trial accounts, doubtful you will be able to find those either.

The “name unavailable” is a default message, it could mean a bunch of different things like a real person, character and such…I recently found out that players below level 10 do not show up on armory either.

Might I ask what name you are trying to get and what server? maybe tha might help trying to find an answer.

It could be a banned name.

It could be a reserved name.

If it’s probably neither then just change one letter or something and you should be fine.

Oh I never thought of that…

Well that sucks. It was such a good name too! The thought of some lvl 1 that’s been sitting, untouched in the starting zone for years having it makes me very sad :sob:

I wanted the name Godflay for my shadow priest :frowning:

Guess I’ll have to be one of those people with an alt code letter in my name…

well I can explain why you cant use it real fast…the word “God” is in it you can’t use titles such as king, queen, prince also even in combined names.

it is a cool name but it goes against naming policy…sorry bud

2 Likes

Ahh that explains it…

Well back to the drawing board for names

keep in mind even if you use an alt code it won’t protect you from getting flagged and forced to change your name :wink:

1 Like

Even if don’t mean the name in reference to God?

I got the idea from Lord Godfrey in Shadowfang keep :frowning: I just thought Godflay fit a shadow priest really well

Yes unfortunately that is how it works it isn’t so much as how you perceive it is how others will. Like when someone tries to name a character referencing a sexual innuendo and claiming it also has other meanings so it should be safe…it just doesn’t work that way because there are people that do know what it means.

2 Likes

Ah that makes sense.

Well thanks for the replies, and help :grin:

Guess I’ll try to come up with a new name

good luck!

end of line…