Name plate addon question

So I’ve fiddled with plater, neat plates and KUi the last couple days and admittedly not gotten to investigate much but I don’t think any offer the option to always keep the plate in one spot…

Let me explain, no matter where my target is I would prefer it’s nameplate to be about 2 inches above MY character, possible with any of these addons or maybe a weak aura?

None of the major nameplate addons can do this. Nameplates are by default tied to the character in the 3d world.

In the open world, you could make an addon that changes the anchor to UIParent or PersonalResourceBar and adjusts the Y value from there, but it won’t work in instances as that functionality has been intentionally disabled since early Legion.

You could easily make a WeakAura for your target’s health/debuffs/casts and anchor that to the personal resource bar, but I doubt you’d be able to click on it or otherwise interact with it in combat. Supposedly people have gotten clickable WeakAuras working in combat, but I’ve never successfully done so, so I limit my clickable WeakAuras to out-of-combat things (refreshing 60 minute buffs, Call Pet when I don’t have a pet out, calling my Steward when I am out of Phials, etc).

I doubt it’s possible. If it was https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/enemy-grid would still work.

I actually am starting to think that a target enemy health bar with name and a casting bar directly underneath it may work… I guess I’ll test tonight

You could just move the target unit frame to somewhere central in you UI. Even the default ones can be moved.

1 Like

Realistically there are 6 components to enemy nameplates, assuming you are using addons:

1. Enemy health
  2. Enemy cast bar
  3. Enemy buffs/debuffs
  4. Threat indication
  5. Click to target
  6. Appears over all nearby enemies, regardless of whether you or party members are in combat with or targeting them

For the enemy you currently have targeted, 1-4 are trivially easy with WeakAuras. You may want to use Raven or similar for aura tracking as the growth options and filtering there are as robust as WeakAuras but far, FAR less work to configure out of the box.

5 is not likely to be possible in any useful manner.

6 is completely impossible as you can’t reference 3d objects in the in-game world via the UI.

That too.

You could also create a secondary target frame that is more minimal and filtered to just the things you care about that, put that one central in the UI, and keep your existing target frame with the full list of buffs/debuffs, mana, etc wherever it is now.

1 Like

Thank you, it doesn’t need to be targetable for me so weakauar will actually end up working perfectly I think

You can try Elvui. Admittedly it’s been giving me some gripes, but its usable