My understanding of "Bug Priority"

Highest priority: For bugs that benefit players, fix them immediately! Don’t wait for even a moment!
Medium priority: For insignificant bugs, such as a few extra leaves on a tree, they will be fixed in the next hotfix.
Lowest priority: For bugs that affect player experience, don’t rush! We still have time, let’s release them in a few weeks!

The bug in the skill ‘Blessing of Autumn’ that prevents characters from using the skill, I guess Blizzard will never be able to fix it in their lifetime.

As a programmer, maybe I should submit a resume to Blizzard. I understand their culture too well. I should be able to fit in quickly. Getting paid but do nothing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you truly are a programmer, you must understand that it’s not as simple as oh I found this one line a code and now it needs to be updated.

1 Like

Fixing bugs is not simple, but that’s not an excuse.

5 Likes

I mean i’m sure they’re not not fixing them. Perhaps they’re just incompetent

See also: transmog that’s been bugged on certain races for years now. Like, since that mog was implemented.
They seem to not have the knowledge to fix it. :expressionless:

well, When the team mentor asks why this bug took so long to fix, the programmer should send this sentence to him. It is not difficult to imagine the mentor’s reaction.

That’s more cuz humans have this little quirk in our brains. If we know we can do something bad, and get away with it? We tend to just keep doing it and going overboard. Wrecking it for others.

1 Like

You should… As a junior developer, you’ll get to fix the issues that are assigned to you.

However, you should also note that every single development team has a different set of priorities and statuses for issues. Considering that it is rumored that the original WOW shipped with thousands of open issues and bugs, I don’t think they care if something is completely issue free.

Okay. I don’t care. Being grumpy isn’t going to make them fix it any faster if they’re incapable of fixing it any faster.

1 Like

oh boy another “I’m the greatest programmer in the worrrrrrrlllllldddddd” types

Been waiting over 10 years for a Bloodlust/Heroism option for the Neutral faction as they got neither, I’ll keep dreaming that they get to it. :rofl:

4 Likes

I’ve had many stories in my life that appeared to be something that should only take an hour to fix, expand into taking several days.

Heck I just had one such story take me a sprint and a half because there were so many moving parts that weren’t foreseen until programming started.

Sometimes a story is as simple as it seems . . . sometime a 2 point story should have been a 5 or an 8.

You are telling me that Blizzard don’t have a “fix this bug” button?!?

1 Like

They never fixed the broken iwin button.

2 Likes

My view on any bugs ,start from the lowest and work your way up to a character ,if it don’t work at all blow it up, problem solved.

I assume by now, trying to fix anything in the code will break something else… the trick is to just break as little as possible and weigh its cost/gain.

Like those blue and white space holder cubes? I’m guessing trying to remove those will delete all the fur off of Tauren. So… yeah, we just have to deal with a silly cube.

I have this right now. 2 different chunks of code that work independent that, when combined, break everything. Literally should be as easy as copying segment 2 and pasting it into segment 1 block to run just after segment 1…but no.

I didn’t even write either piece of code too but it’s my problem to solve and with end users who think “omg it’s just combining 2 things. Should take 5 minutes tops” Even showing them the literal copy and paste and execute “flow” results just makes them thing “I’m doing something wrong to pad this out”.

1. Make a list of bugs as they are reported;
  2. Prioritize them by how many players are listing these bugs in their exit survey;
  3. Fix the ones that too many players quit over.

This would be an excellent prioritization scheme, but based on a few posts I’ve seen on GD they don’t even do exit surveys anymore. People post here saying “I unsubbed and they asked me to provide feedback on General Discussion as to why.” I want to believe those are trolls or bitter players wanting attention, but given how QA staffing was cut so severely, I have to entertain the possibility that they don’t even bother anymore to auto-collect a form exit-survey and outsource it to a 3rd party stats/survey analysis company that passes their “lowest bidder” threshold.

The lack of understanding of operating a mmo is hard work and complex and it’s not a switch of a button that would easily fix the problem.