My time on the CC has indeed ended

As the title states, I have returned to my natural white forum text state. It was truly a pleasure to have served as a link between the players and developers and I was honored to help fight for players ideas and bring to light concerns that everyone had.

The time I spent on the CC however caused me unnecessary stress when I had already been dealing with so much on my plate and trying to accomplish other things outside of WoW. It felt too much like a job with invisible barriers that caused rifts between the general player base and those on the CC. Often times I felt like I was on crowd control trying defend peopleā€™s ideas and that of the CC when I received backlash for simply having the golden text wrapper. I felt targeted. That however never stopped me from posting here and trying to get everyone involved.

I had taken a month hiatus at the beginning of the year due to 3 deaths in my life on top of mounting stress inducing situations in the first month of 2024 alone and the stress has been building since. Being on the CC was no walk in the park either. Like I said we had targets on our back that felt like they werenā€™t being properly handled and that is why you do not see much CC interaction anywhere on the forums besides the designated CC forums.

I tried to break that mold, to alter the perception that we arenā€™t just yes-men, to show that we are literally normal players trying to make the game a little better while we have our 1 year to shine. Whether or not my topics have made or will make a difference remain to be seen.

My time on the CC was set to end in less than a few weeks of this post, but not even I am immune to the powers that govern this place. I let stress and frustration dictate my words. I have also never been good with word choice during public discussions. Iā€™ll say one thing, post it, and leave it for an hour and then my mind thinks of something better, more fitting, appropriate and less potentially inflammatory but by then itā€™s too late to change it.

Although Iā€™m not saddened to be removed Iā€™m more so relieved. I can focus on other things instead of feeling like I need to meet some invisible expectations or quotas. I can put all my focus on one thing instead of having it divided between feeling obligated to the Council and RL. I can focus on the needs of my mother. I can focus my brain power on finishing the book series Iā€™m writing. I can actually try to enjoy the game instead of having people ask ā€œcould you post about this more?ā€

The CC is not for everyone and I cannot recommend it if you do not have the time to be both active here and in the discord. Like I had said countless times during my tenure, half the people elected do nothing; they donā€™t engage here or the discord and I felt that was an unfortunate loss to the players as those who sat and did nothing could have been the voices we were missing to cover the extensive wants, desires and ideas of the player base as a whole.

Would I do it again if given another chance? No, I wouldnā€™t. I had reapplied but as the months dragged on since I sent in the re-up application, I felt it was more and more a mistake. I have continuously mounting responsibilities in my life that probably would have caused me to remove myself from the council early in a potential second tenure.

In closing I am going to extend my forum vacation for possibly a few more months to get my life squared away and some things ironed out in my life that have become wrinkled by stress. Iā€™ll respond a bit here today but after that itā€™s going to be spotty when and where I show up. I will likely appear more on the weekends when I have free time than I will on work weeks. The only way you can consistently stay in touch with me is by adding ā€œioliā€ to my forum name and you can practically find me anywhere.

Again itā€™s been a privilege to help voice your ideas and make your concerns more visible and I hope those who join this year mingle a little more with the entire forums like I had and not just stay secluded to the CC forums.

53 Likes

Thanks for everything Ravij. You were the gold standard of CC imo and I appreciated your efforts to highlight discussion topics for us.

You a real one, mad respect.

22 Likes

Welcome back to the land of the normal folks, Ravij. You shall be served with cookies
:cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

14 Likes

Thanks for everything. You know why it stressed you? Cause you took it seriously and did your role well.

19 Likes

There will always be one. :dracthyr_shrug:

11 Likes

Glad to have gotten the chance to talk and interact with you on Here Ravij. Sorry you went through such a hard time. I know what thatā€™s like. Hopefully now you can chill and focus on yourself.

6 Likes

Hope it wasnā€™t all negatives, certainly interacting with wow players can be challenging.
Taking a break is always a good idea if you feel burned out.
Good luck :saluting_face:

6 Likes

what does CC stand for in your post?

1 Like

Community Council.

2 Likes

The community council has never achieved anything and never will achieve anything.

Youve lost the pretty orange text, but i believe its a worthwhile trade to gain your freedom back.

Hope things go well for you :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Aye, ty Zoumz. It wasnā€™t all negatives no! :> Youā€™ll come to find thereā€™s a balance of both negatives and positives as you take your first steps as a new CC member. Thereā€™s a good amount of disagreement as well as agreement and that is honestly healthy if a group like the CC is to survive and proceed to help better the game for the players. Like I said we cannot all be yes-men. Also be sure to come down and mingle with the commoners from time to time. :smile:

And for everyone else: Ty already guys for welcoming me back into the white text fold. And thanks for supporting me as I was on the council.

10 Likes

The CC is meaningless.

8 Likes

Thanks for being the reason the CC members donā€™t want to interact with the rest of the forums. Hereā€™s a participation sticker. :no_entry:

10 Likes

Apparently, blizzard only wants yes-men. Not surprising. Their idea of constructive criticism is just praise with suggestions.

Serving up crap sandwiches and saying the only valid criticism is to debate over sauce is just a comforting bubble.

7 Likes

Tbf, name one thing the community council has achieved :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

The CC doesnā€™t even interact with each other on their own forum lol

4 Likes

Baby I am retired, I donā€™t have to go searching anymore to answer peopleā€™s bark back. You want to be critical of the council, by all means. Iā€™m not longer obligated to defend or criticize anything. In fact I chose to just mingle and relax for a bit instead of answer to more ā€œCC was uselessā€ rhetoric.

5 Likes

There isnā€™t a ā€œwe changed that based on feedback of the Community Council Stickerā€ attached to every change, which is good. I believe plenty of things changed based on feedback we gave. One Thing still being minor was f.e. the move of the Set Panel from Shadowlands to Dragonflight a couple of weeks after I wrote a post on that it was changed. Lastly, the recent Meta Meta Achievements were wishes that have been mentioned in the CC as well.

3 Likes

If you have to search to find one thing thats come out of the cc, i think thats enough to prove the point

7 Likes

Wearing my badge of ā€˜ā€˜I was a CC longer than Ravijā€™ā€™.

2 Likes