My thoughts on the reforging system

Okay, so to start this off, I have been playing WoW since the original vanilla WoW. I never hit max level during that time, but I played various toons and had some fun. Fast forward to Cata, and I was fulling clearing heroic content each patch and really got into the PvP and PvE side of things.

The reforging system was always one I was really confused about though. To me it seemed like a great addition to the game and when it was removed, I just asked “why?”

Having been playing Cata classic now for some time, I have some thoughts on why it was removed, and why this was one of the worst mistakes blizzard could have made.

1. I had honestly forgotten just how satisfying reforging your gear can be. There is NOTHING in the game that gives me the same satisfaction of getting done reforging and seeing my gear with exactly the perfect amount of hit rating, with no wasted stats. The perfect amount of haste to hit a soft breakpoint. Whatever it is.

2. Reforging my gear when I go to do heroic to gain about 1000 extra stats since I don’t need all the extra hit is another layer to it that is not needed in any way, but sometimes its fun to just realize you can be stronger if you want to be.

3. I understand why it was removed. As things like DoTs became less calculated for soft caps (haste or crit), as hit became a thing of the past, these first 2 points will also have decreased in value. I wouldn’t be able to reforge and get that same satisfaction as I could during Cata.

4. This is still the biggest mistake they made because at the end of the day, when I look at my gear, it is really, really satisfying to see how optimized my stats are on those pieces. I love getting a new piece and not feeling annoyed that I am losing haste to pick it up.

Anyway, I understand if nobody else really cares about this, but I just wanted to post a thread to say how much I missed having reforging in the game.

7 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly. I wish it stayed in the game forever.

3 Likes

They tried to create the whole “new gear insta equip and gogogo” scenarios but in the end it just made gear bland and boring, there was never anything wrong with getting new loot and optimizing it, fully enchanting/geming and reforging for next week.

So I agree OP, they should keep reforging in the game going forward.

2 Likes

they got rid of reforging, but they also got rid of hit cap and expertise. There really isn’t a need for reforging in retail.

You’re telling me there are no stat breakpoints or caps in retail? Kinda makes me wonder if you even read the OP.

1 Like

I love hitting 5.01% hit chance. That’s my perfect hit, because i don’t trust 5.00%.

It was removed because the hard capped stats were also removed.

There’s more to reforging than just skirting around hardcaps/softcaps. There’s also the part of just converting a less-desired stat into a more-desired one.

Find the exact hit rating you need. Go off of that rather than percentages. I’m not sure how the WoW UI rounds the percentages to 2 decimal places but going off of raw hit rating can’t fail you.

Yes because running sub optimal stats feels soooooo good.

Well you farm the items with the stats you want. Its still the same as its ever been.

/shrug no different than not being in BiS.

They’re still not dead stats like hit/exp become after hardcap. And of course with random stats like in retail not getting the optimal sub stats just keeps you farming that much longer.

doesnt keep you farming longer as the content is replaced faster than you can attain BIS.