My PC does a Tack! sound sometimes

It can be pretty loud. Is this common or should I be worried? The last time this happened my fan broke maybe a month or two later. But it started doing it again even with a new fan. I tell myself that maybe it’s only the temperature, like when pipes go bang in the walls. But tbh my PC doesn’t get that hot, and it can happen anytime, even when cold.

nothing sticks out around the fan area?

I just looked and everything seems normal, no wires or anything is in the way.
It sounds more violent than that anyway. If it’s the fan then it’s the whole fan box that’s moving or something.

both old and new fan the same make/model? and what is it?

could be just bad luck that you got 2 faulty fans

It’s possible. It could also be something else and not the fan.
Point is I have no idea what does this. I was kind of hoping it’s a common thing. thx!

Just throwing things at the wall here:

• Something in a component during heat expansion/cooling; even if the computer overall isn’t getting hot, something may be. I’ve seen reports of this happening with hot-running GPUs.
  • Sometimes CD/DVD or old 3.5 inch floppy drives produce sporadic sounds when not in use when they start to fail. I doubt you have the latter, but might have the former.
  • Another fan in your case (CPU fan, fans in a liquid cooler, power supply fan, other case fans)
  • If you have an attached hard drive it could be going bad, but usually the clicks and clacks a failing HDD makes are more frequent and persistent, often rhythmic. I have an old external HDD that makes a “clank”-ish sound when I first turn it on.
  • I had a system with an undersized power supply that would periodically produce a single loud click after I put in a new power-hungry GPU that was overtasking it.
  • Is it possible it’s coming from your speakers? My current speakers will sometimes make an amp-style “thwump” noise when the cable running unto the subwoofer is barely nudged.
  • Possibly something in your case itself is flexing or popping in response to pressure, heat, cooling, or some combination. I’ve seen videos of cases with thin metal covers or plastic windows that would pop as the case got warm and again when it cooled off.
3 Likes

It could be the heat/cooling of pieces. I think it was the metal screws on the plastic window because I haven’t heard it since I unscrewed it earlier. And I think I heard the noise coming from two of those areas before. Thanks for putting the time to answer, there’s a good chance it’s nothing serious!

1 Like

My monitor makes popping sounds after I turn it off. I imagine it’s power discharging.