My only fear for Classic

I would not play in a post classic/vanilla server, but I agree that copies would not be a good idea. The 1-60 zones would be practically empty beyond those rolling space goats and blood elves.

I can imagine being able to start fresh in the first expansion (TBC) if you own the game.
We can say with certainly that the vanilla experience started at level 1, but the TBC experience started at vanilla late game where players were already developed and there was a fair batch ready for the new content.

1 Like

hmm. that is a problem but tbc has its own perks, like changes to druids and paladins, that made them viable for raiding. so you’d also have druids (belves and draenei cant be druids). so at the very least, the lower levels would have belves, draenei and druids *and non belf/draenei paladins. hehe druid bear tanks, druid cat melee, druid boomkins, druid resto.

the idea is to treat each expac as a separate game so that classic vanilla and eventually classic tbc, arent impacted by new expacs.

It’s too easy to exploit if characters are copied to “higher tiered” servers instead of transferred.

They would have to be transfer only

2 Likes

Can’t work unless you don’t copy any gear or possessions to the new server

explain, if you would.

You can just copy over the gear not he character, no gold or anything else in the bank.

This was the scenario presented to me, and it’s pretty damning.

Let’s say you have a 40-man raiding guild on Classic Vanilla, and they want to transfer to Classic TBC. Let’s also say they each have an average of 1000g, so 40,000 gold among the entire guild.

The entire guild sends all of their gold to the first player. He now has 40K gold and transfers to TBC. Now he has 40K gold on TBC and Vanilla (the root of the problem!)

On Vanilla, he sends all 40K gold to the next guildmate to transfer. Now two people on TBC have 40K gold.

Repeat until all 40 players have transferred and the guild now has 1.6M gold in total on TBC.

This can be done for other materials as well, but gold is the obvious problem.

2 Likes

ah i see. yeah they’d have to address that.

1 Like

There are ways to mitigate this problem, I agree, but these things have to be thought out ahead of time.

3 Likes

Every spec in Vanilla was strong. They don’t need any tuning.

The problem is people bring this retail mentality of “I want to play X spec in Y content” and expect Vanilla to bend to their will.

1 Like

The problem is that most of us don’t think like hackers so these ideas never occur to us. I was a proponent of copying characters as well until I heard this, which make me step back and go, “hmmm
”

2 Likes

Good thought. This isn’t an impossible problem though. Restrictions on gold exist when doing character transfers already.
There could be a mechanic where all of your items become devalued, etc.

On my server, world pvp died a pretty quick death with the advent of battlegrounds. By the time 1.12 came out, bgs were they way to go to farm honor. World pvp events were relegated to shaman v paladin.

btw, assuming only belves and draenei would be interested in leveling chars on a tbc server isnt quite right. although starting from scratch on new races on tbc would indeed happen, there are people who love tbc and would gladly roll fresh on it just cause its tbc. same for wotlk. but remember your tbc qualified character that opened tbc for you is not the only char on classic vanilla that can go to classic tbc. you could level up additional classic vanilla chars and have them go to tbc also. they’d just have to be level 58 to copy over to tbc (this helps to keep classic vanilla viable). otherwise, ya can roll new char on tbc once you’ve opened it with at least one level appropriate char. your max allowance of characters for each expac would effect that, obviously.

I hope the positive people are right.
I don’t want to invest the time into a game that is not going to be here in 3 years

Large scale PvP like Tarren Mill vs Southshore will probably not be nearly as prevalent with battlegrounds, true. But rest assured world PvP will still be alive and well years after Classic’s release. At least it will be on my server. I’ll see to that.

4 Likes

the benefits of having at least one outlands level appropriate character is, that they can earn gold and send it to lower level alts you might want to roll on classic tbc. it has the same effect as it originally did. otherwise, using max level char to unlock access to tbc and everyone starting at level 1, robs you of the benefits you would’ve had originally, when tbc was a new game.

Vanilla servers will be healthy for at least 5-6 years or more honestly. I’ll be happy to play that long and move onto something else.

Should have tipped you off: