My issues with SV and hunter pets

SV

1. Wing clip costs the same amount of focus as main attack, 30 focus is too much. It should be like 15 focus if that.

2. Muzzle is melee range lockout but gets the “ranged” 3 sec treatment. Make it full lockout or make it 15yds. Yeah you I know you can harpoon/kick and disengage/kick but it’s just not getting the same treatment of other melee range kicks.

3. SV shouldn’t be so reliant on pets, just replace SV kill command with a baseline flanking strike that generates focus (on the hunters side of the attack)

Hunter pets

1. Pets are paper. This is especially troubling for SV because our focus bar is linked to the pet (for some reason). Nothing is more frustrating than having it die and the only thing you can do is spam revive while enemy team puts every stop they have into you. It’s sad when you have to turtle just to get a revive off. Improved mend pet as a pvp talent would be used very often if implemented vs a lot of different teams.

2. Pets used to have stuns, disorients, nets and hunters abused an abandon pet script to reset those CDs off DR. Some hunters did it more legit and dismissed pet while they used deterrence or were out of range of being stopped, but it had the same effect. The “fix” for this was to disable (dismiss pet) in arena. So with all that in mind, pets don’t have any of those abilities any more so why is (dismiss pet) still disabled? Yes having monkey/crane stun on DR was stupid op, but if the issue is gone why is the “fix” still there?

2 Likes

Good point in wing clip and muzzle. I actually like KC, but would also love to see baseline flanking strike back.

Pets being paper in PvP is a 15 year old argument. But yeah it’s particularly tough for SV with our focus generator being tied into it as you said.

I like the talent idea, not sure I would want it as a PvP talent…
Our choices are already pretty limited.

1 Like
  1. I don’t think wing clip even on my hotbar on SV. We have a root, pet stun, and traps. Rather use focus on damage then slow.
    2.^
  2. I sort of agree with this. Many say Surv are more BM then BM are. Surv pets are a BIG weakness to surv. They to far/stun/dead you are useless. What you said and if pet is active and close to you, you get a focus regen increase. This way Pet still useful but not relied on.
    In pvp keep pet in passive unless you need them to attack.

_

1. Get tanker pets?.. I use a Saber cat in pve and only on named and elite do I sometimes need heal/revive pet. Ferocity better for pve while Tenacity and Cunning better for pvp.
  2. Yeah. They in Legion made each pet have a set spec :frowning: . But every pet has the same Stun “Intimidation” that you can active every 1 min.

Truth be told, may be just me but I wish they would ditch the need for pets completely for this new survival fantasy, I always found pets too clunky for my taste and unfortunately, if I don’t want pets I am stuck with MM.

3 Likes

Considering that the pet aspect is the only real connection the spec has to the class as it was prior to Legion. I would disagree.

Having said that…

I do think it would be better if most, if not all elements that involve your pet as Survival, should come from optional talent choices. Maybe something like Flanking Strike could be the only real baseline element that involves your pet.

Remove Kill Command. Replace it with, as an example, Flanking Strike, with a shorter duration ofc. Or make Raptor Strike the focus builder(while adding in another spender that fits the playstyle).

And change Coordinated Assault. It’s Bestial Wrath with a different name and icon.

1 Like

When you think of a survivor you think of someone by them self. Well, I do anyways. I think they should be able to talent into something similar to Lone Wolf.

That’s not going to work with SV, mastery and resource regeneration assures that.

Baseline flanking strike is a must.

I dont want to get rid of kill command, but it should be different than bm. It should not be a constant in our rotation. More melee please.

Kc should be on a 30s timer and be aoe and strong.

Sv hunter imo is in a great spot its just still a bit awkward

1 Like

This.

Adding in ways to opt out of a fighting style that involves a pet as MSV. Would require some pretty extensive changes to be made.

Granted that, depending on who you ask, this might not be the worst thing, you’d still have to do a lot more than to simply add in a Lone Wolf talent.

IF they were to go more towards the melee path, they could rework Raptor Strike into a Focus builder without a CD. Also making it provide a bit less focus on a per-cast basis. Instead of having Kill Command as one, that is dependent on your pet being active.

While at the same time bringing back Mongoose Bite as the major offensive ability of the spec.

And like Naham said, no matter how you would do this, if you want to take away any requirements of having pets as MSV, you’d also have to change how things like Mastery works for the spec.

Having said that. If we look at how Lone Wolf was for MM in previous expansions when it was a talent option. Many who kept referring to balancing issues between the Lone Wolf-talent and the other 2 talents on the same row, they liked the others as well but due to LW being the top performer, they “had” to always pick LW.
There were ofc other issues as well. As in, they wanted to pick one of the other talents, but they also wanted Lone Wolf, due to the ties it had to the fantasy of MM being a ranger spec.

No matter on opinions in regards to any issues with balancing. The LW talent involved a lot of headache. Both for devs as well as the playerbase.

Now, it’s just a passive effect that provides bonus damage if you do not have a pet active. And while some issues with balancing are still here(they will NEVER go away due to how different the damaging sources are(pet or no pet)), at least now, you don’t have to pick it as a talent option for MM.

If it becomes a thing for MSV as well, then it, like with MM, should not be a talent but a passive effect.

1 Like

I’ll still attest that BFA’s Flanking Strike would have been preferable to live SV Kill Command.

Along with the seperation away from BM (despite resource spending and building between the abilities, depending on spec), the interaction of both the Hunter with their pet attacking as one is appealing.

Flanking Strike
When you Kill Command you will also strike the enemy for (20% of Attack power) Physical damage and generate 4 Focus, if you are within melee range.

Rolling Kill Command’s damage and resource generation into this mechanic (and name), would have been fantastic!

As for it existing on its current tier90 position, may have been similar to Tip of the Spear.

Pets have always been hunters’ strength and weakness you have to work on micro managing the pet. If you just…remove it, because it’s inconvenient. Then you aren’t really playing a hunter at that point.

They generate focus. Do 30 ish percent of our dmg, and keep pressure on pole humping targets. Just have to watch them to make sure they aren’t being targetted

1 Like

Some great suggestions here. Seems like everyone is in agreement, myself included, Flanking Strike should be baseline.

Removing the Focus generation from KC would be a step in the right direction…
I wouldn’t want KC removed though…it’s super strong in PvP coupled with pheromone bomb.