My GPU is pooping itself and I have no idea what's a good replacement

I have a GeForce GTX 970 that is on its last legs and I would like to replace it before Shadowlands so I can play with others without worrying about freezes, BSODs, random restarts, or the GPU sneaking up behind me and dumping a bucket of crap over my head.

Processor is an Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.60 GHz.

Preferably under $300 and I’m willing to go used. WoW is the only video game I play so it doesn’t have to be super fancy.

I’ve been looking at cards for a few months but I still don’t know which would be okay to get. Any help mucho appreciated.

I have this exact item:

xfx-amd-radeon-rx-5600-xt-raw-ii-pro-6gb-gddr6-pci-express-4-0-graphics-card

BestBuy 329.00

And it comes with Godfall AND Shadowlands key… Check out the benchmark comparision

gpu dot userbenchmark dot com
Compare
Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-AMD-RX-5600-XT/2577vs4062

The problems you are having is not hardware though it’s software. Drivers and Windows can get bogged down… you have to rebuild Windows every so often to clean it out and start fresh.

Also get a GOOD registry check \ fix program to keep your system running smoothly. I use piriform CCcleaner… it’s FREE.

I actually reinstalled Windows about 3 months ago, and also redownloaded WoW because I got an SSD. Graphics issues only became more frequent.

I will try that CCleaner thing though, thank you. :slight_smile:

What kind of BSODS and when do the restarts happen?

any new RAM or other hardware? Have the issues started since you installed SSD? Everything worked fine with your HDD?

$329 is very high for a 5600xt. For that price, you’re absolutely better off spending another $40 for a 5700 xt.

There are models of 5600 XT that are closer to $269 that will flash to the higher 14gbps or already come with 14gbps:

$279, high end cooler, 14gbps, godfall + SL

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-5600-xt-rx5600xt-pgd3-6go/p/N82E16814930028?Description=5600%20xt&cm_re=5600_xt-_-14-930-028-_-Product&quicklink=true

Presuming the GPU is the problem, at least. Let’s see if we can’t help fix it.

1 Like

Can you tough it out for 2 more weeks? AMD’s 6800 XT is locking horns with Nvidia’s 3080 per the last presentation.

This competition should put pressure on both AMD and Nvidia to slash prices of their older GPUs such as the 5700 and rtx 2080.

System Service Exception Stop Code.

It usually occurs within 10 minutes of entering WoW, particularly if I do a dungeon. Usually I’ll either just get a black screen (I can still hear sound continuing as normal), or everything will freeze (including sound), or the PC will restart itself. The BSOD is the more rare event.

Nope, no new RAM or other hardware. The issues were happening before the SSD (external, btw) but have become more frequent lately. HDD seems fine.

What are your CPU and GPU temps like during play?

Have you updated to the most recent GPU drivers? Have you upgraded from a prior GPU, and if so, did you use DDU to fully remove old drivers?

Regarding the BSOD: Have you tried these steps?

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-to-fix-system-service-exception-stop-code-in-windows-10/

slaps this link with an over the top punching sound effect accompanying it

https://www.amazon.com/GTX-1660-compatible-OC-VENTUS/dp/B07PBLDV3D/ref=pd_sbs_147_9?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07PBLDV3D&pd_rd_r=ebfd497f-5fa9-4617-9786-5e1611516952&pd_rd_w=PEa2C&pd_rd_wg=f5PP6&pf_rd_p=bc074051-81d1-4874-a3fd-fd0c867ce3b4&pf_rd_r=GFBATRMMTJAEHQK9WN2R&psc=1&refRID=GFBATRMMTJAEHQK9WN2R

You might consider a CPU replacement too down the road once you iron our your GPU issues.

Have you tried replacing the thermal paste on the GPU? It’s an old card and I’m willing to bet it’s all dried out and causing issues