My game fails to load after the progress bar reaches 100%

I’m aware that I need to perform a full ui reset but I have a question. I’ve created a macro that will remove all addons from the addon folder, which I can press before I try to log into a character. If the ‘freeze’ still happens once the bar is full, can I assume what’s causing the crash isn’t related to any of the addons I have installed? I’m guessing that if this is the case then it’s one of the settings for the addons I have instead of the addons themselves.

Can any GM confirm this theory?

There are settings outside the folder itself, but the contents of the addon folder are read at the launch of the game client, not as you log in to a character. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to see addon options in the character selection screen.

2 Likes

But I can move those addons out of that folder and they’re no longer loaded if I /reload while in game, meaning they’re not being read if removed from the folder on login if they aren’t in that folder.

This doesn’t say you need to restart your pc when resetting the ui. Why is that if it’s stored in the memory until the pc is reset?

Correct, but their settings on the game client configuration can still be in effect. Not sure why you’re making this more complicated than necessary. Just move them out before launch, test, move back one by one.

1 Like

Because I’m confused at what you’re saying, this is me trying to clarify what you mean. No need to be rude when I don’t understand something.

The other person says the addons are still in effect even when moved out of the folder. You say their settings on the game client are still in effect, but are they? I can’t use the addons if I move them out and reload, so how are they still affecting the client if they’re physically not loading after /reload? I’m still not certain I agree with the responses. Even if they’re still in memory, if they aren’t loaded and my load times aren’t slowed down when the files are out of the addon folder, how exactly is them being in memory affecting anything?

Addons change game settings. That happens when you launch the game with them in the folder. Moving them out afterward still leaves those settings in the changed state, even if the addons aren’t functional/accessible in-game. They may change things you aren’t readily noticing or corrupting access to certain game attributes.

It’s not me being rude, but you’re splitting hairs about the process that Blizzard has already solved with their official support documentation. Whether you want to test without addons and perform Blizzard’s official steps for troubleshooting is your choice.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.