My Favorite Part of Pet Collecting: Unanticipated Pet Drops!

Don’t you just love it when you get a new pet when you weren’t expecting one, or even looking for one?

I remember once in Mechagon, I had captured the last two pets I needed, which were somewhat tricky to get to spawn. And once I captured them both, I was delighted to find Kelpfin was added to my inventory. He’s kind of cute for a Naga. He’s no Baby Elderhorn (who wins first prize for cutest pet), but still he’s cute.

Anyhow, yesterday, I was killing stuff outside the Emerald Dream. I was going to take some time off before doing this, but I was grinding for Dreamsurge Coalescence. I am sick of the Emerald Dream, with those ridiculous seeds and pulling weeds to feed those things, limited dailies, and those ugly pets and mobs that are colored a virtually featureless radioactive green color.

But I figured if I do this one last thing, I can be done with the Emerald Dream. (And yes, I got the toy and I found the Pale Slumbertooth immediately. I picked up two, even though they only come in one breed. So, I get to stop playing in the Emerald Dream.)

Anyhow, while farming the Dreamsurge Coalescence, I uncovered a sort of container in my inventory that said, “Right click to open.” And I found an Ohuna Companion. It’s a specialized pet, since I can only have one, not three. An S/S flying pet. I tend to think that S/S flyers are kind of a waste, given the flying pets’ innate ability. I have absolutely no idea where I got this from, or how rare it is. I haven’t done anything with him, except level him, so I don’t really know how useful he is.

I know I’m not the only one this has happened to. When have you guys gotten unexpected pet drops?

I had same reaction to the Okuna, like HUH?

Like the Bakar pet, comes occasionally from a bag you may get from completing a Grand Hunt. Only this bird seems to be lot rarer drop than the dog.

Adding to its surprise effect, you really don’t need to have participated in the Hunt at all, just need to be in the area it happened in when a Grand Hunt gets completed and turned in. Reward shows up in your bags.

1 Like

Ugh! I see that. I checked it out on Wowhead, and one person commented that he’s gotten the Bakar like five times, but still no bird.

Sorry if anyone’s been looking for this for a while and still hasn’t gotten it. RNG is cruel and arbitrary. And I get that it’s frustrating. You could have been trying for this pet for days, even weeks, then a first timer who’s just killing time between Emerald Dreams while farming the Coalescents, just happens to get the rare drop.

I remember when the first pet dungeon came out, Wailing Critters, in which the pet drops were random. I didn’t get anything for weeks. But I remember one person saying she got a pet to drop the first time, and she sold it for six figures.

Which amazed me because I would have kept it for myself. Especially since I don’t know how long it’s going to be before I get one again.

There have been many over the years that caught me by surprise when I got them, but I think the one that made me laugh the most was Francois in Tiragarde Sound.

2 Likes

I had to temporarily borrow gold from a friend to be rich enough for Francois to consider me a suitable companion.

2 Likes

My roommate and I were questing through the zone, we had taken BfA and SL off from playing so very out of the loop on stuff. I saw a dialogue option come up when I moused over the chicken, talked to him and got a pet and told my roommate to come over… no pet for him so off to WoWhead I went LOL.

3 Likes