MW Question

Haven’t played since the beginning of the expansion. Just leveled up a fresh character. Don’t enjoy fistweaving. So my question is; what’s the best build for mistweaving?

Use upwelling instead of rising mist and then the yulon legendary instead of ancient teachings of the monastery.

2 Likes

Thanks! :purple_heart::purple_heart:

Answer.

You don’t.

Fwing is the only correct answer.

(In all seriousness serethia’s answer is spot on)

3 Likes

If you are the only monk in your group though I do urge you to at least apply your monk buff, it really can help out. Also in keys use tears of morning instead of yu lons whisper.

1 Like

I’ve been a mistweaver main for years but the changes in Shadowlands felt bad for the 5 man mistweaver play style. I am aiming to do dungeon content. I played mistweaver at the start but wasn’t happy with the mana consumption in addition to the loss of fish feast, as well as the seemingly forced play style of fistweaving so I swapped to holy paladin (to try something new) for the remainder of the first season and part of the second season.

It’s not that I have an aversion to being in melee, I actually enjoy that part. I just don’t like the play style of fistweaving. So after not playing for several months I thought I’d take another shot at it in hopes that some changes were made and it would feel like it used to.

I really appreciate the tips on which legendaries to use and covenant choice (now that we can freely swap). I want to enjoy my favorite spec again and am really hoping the new talent system next expansion embraces both play styles.

2 Likes

Feeling this too after coming back after taking abreak just after the first raid tier of BfA. Not a fan of fistweaving either.

It’s neat to see they made it viable with talent swaps and buffs/legendary items since the talent changes in legion/BfA but I wish both styles could be balanced closer so it is a “preference of playstyle” choice in the end.

Also I miss my red crack chicken. Sucks it’s tied to FW now.

1 Like

Yeah I completely agree. It seems with Shadowlands they really wanted to push fistweaving. It’s like they punish you for wanting to mistweave by making the mana cost of spells really high and that’s disappointing.

So yeah my hope is that they embrace both styles in the new talent tree revamp and bring the mana costs down.

Well there’s no different between the mana cost of spells for mw or fw tbh, i think for the most part the breakdown for a mw or fw would look somewhat similar. Fw also struggle with mana

No I get that, it just seems FW is designed in a way that you aren’t using as much mana bc you aren’t using all your spells on a regular basis. I could be wrong in that. Maybe I’m not fully understanding the play style but it looks as if it’s just pump out RM and keep extending them for as long as possible while using vivify to triage and one bolt of EF to proc the legendary. For me personally that’s not very engaging.

The thing with Fistweaving (at least in dungeons, I don’t raid on my monk) is that when damage gets heavy, you usually need revert to Misweaving anyway, particularly if your CDs aren’t up. The preference is really in what you want to do during low/moderate damage (and how much you want to contribute to damage). For me, healing through ATotM is more interesting than…channeling SM on people? In raids, I would assume it’s probably a bit easier to manage mana while Fistweaving since you aren’t as temped to lean so much on Vivify, but I’m not really sure on that.

Also I dunno if its been mentioned but if don’t want to go with Fistweaving/ATotM, the Yu’lon leggo is the go-to for raid Mistweaving, and Tear of Morning for M+ Mistweaving.

Yeah, I’m not a big fan of the Chi-Ji change this expansion. I never feel like I’m getting the best use out of it, perhaps because it feels redundant? Or maybe I’m not using it right? MW is good at using its basic kit to pump heals into a 5-man group for a little while- at the cost of a ton of mana. Chi-ji doesn’t ever seem to me like its strong enough to counter the big damage events like Thrash and Rage very well (due to the ramp-up), and for more extended periods of damage, the base kit just feels like a more focused way to keep the group up.

I liked the crack chicken version much better. It was just a much nicer stabilizing force when things got hectic.

2 Likes

No that’s not correct, looking at logs mw and fw spell usage is pretty much the same except renewing mist is stronger and rising mist is also on our logs, don’t really cast vivify as a fistweaver lol (or you won’t cast it a lot)just a lot of essence fonts and RJW. Also you always channel EF for its full duration, my advice to you is maybe do more research on fistweaving because you don’t seem to have a full grasp on how it works currently, who knows you might like the play style😊

I admit I don’t have a full grasp on it, just what I’ve seen in random videos and read in a couple guides. So I suppose playing with it myself might help.

Question though, is it now worth using RJW in five man content? I’ve always loved that spell but never felt like I was getting full value from it due to it’s short range and inability to hit the whole group with it. Did legendaries change it’s effectiveness?

If you are mistweaving probably use JSS unless you don’t mind doing dmg during chi ji, chi ji is amazing in five mans and helps you save a lot of mana. Would honestly say chi ji is always the plays but if you don’t wnna dmg then it’s kind of a wasted talent and you should go JSS. RJW is the play in raid but you aren’t hitting enough people in keys for it to be worth it.

1 Like

You’re going to have mana problems if you aren’t fistweaving with ATotM.

1 Like