Musical genres you hate but everyone adores

I saw a couple threads that discuss movies that someone likes/dislikes in contrast what the public likes/dislikes.

I thought of giving a try with this by asking about what music genres do you hate but everyone else seems to like. Also explain in detail on why you dislike a genre

I’d give you my own example(s)

I don’t like country. The biggest turn off for me is the nasally and twangy southern accent that just irritates me. I live in the south (TN btw) and god I can’t tolerate hearing it in the radio so much. Not when I am driving but when my family drags me into a country themed restaurant like cracker barrel and I try my best not to complain in public to be respectful and sensitive to the owners of the restaurant.

I also do not like hard rock. This is funny because growing up I’d liked to listen to AC/DC and Aerosmith a lot but as I grew older I kinda can’t relate to the themes or the musical sounds anymore. Also going to a hard rock cafe once on a field trip to boston kinda ruined HR for me.

I do not like heavy metal. Now I don’t mind some metal, particularly instrumental metal which I think is the best form of metal because it is energetic and can be used to motivate you into working out or engage in physical activity. But screamo makes me get a headache. The garbled screaming is not a good way of representing your genre. Now nordic metal that is more vocals with a deep monster voice is ok because it sounds relaxing oddly enough. But yeah, I only like instrumental and deep monster voice metal than screamo.

What are yours to pick?

modern country sucks super super hard and is like one of the big reasons i hated country myself for the longest time. all of the popular stuff that plays on the radio are about girls and trucks and beer and it’s just. awful. country can be so much more.

anyways, i really don’t like dubstep too much. i like a lot of other electronic stuff, just… not dubstep. it always just felt too… “noisy” for my tastes. too much sound and not enough melody

1 Like

I don’t really know how to describe this.

I like really good rap. I like really bad rap. But there’s a whole bunch of stuff in the middle that I just can’t get into. Mediocre rap, I suppose? The problem is that it’s so close to bad rap that I often can’t tell the difference.

I’m not a fan of classic rock in general. The guitar hero stuff is really grating to me.

R&B, not old school Rhythm and Blues like Ray Charles, but the R Kelly, Ginuwine type stuff.

I don’t like any music where it seems the sole purpose is to get you in the mood. Cheesy, ridiculous, and off putting in my opinion.

Unfortunately I’ve known a lot of people who think the stuff is great.

Also, not a genre in itself but I don’t care if I ever hear another Tom Petty song again…like ever.

1 Like

I don’t really “hate” anything artistic. Dislike strongly? Maybe, but I can still find artistic merit in any music, from classical to the dude that bangs on the PVC pipes down at Venice Beach.

I don’t particularly care for country, or mainstream pop, because they all sound derivative. I turn on the radio or listen to what’s on the charts and I feel like I’ve heard it all before. Country tends to stick to four or five major topics (work, family, beer, God, not necessarily in that order) which are in repeat ad nauseum. That being said, if I listen to pop or country long enough, something catchy inevitably comes along. The catchy tracks are just too few and far between, for me.

I dislike angry music. Music that is meant to make you angry, angsty or stirs up feelings of negativity. Screaming vocals kinda fits that, also tempos so fast that you cannot possibly dance to them, even on the off-beat (200+ bpm kinda stuff).

I could get into niche electronic genres that I don’t like, such as trance, tropical house, or “IDM”, but then I’d be splitting hairs to most people. I think I’ll bring it to a close here, 'cause I couldn’t really say “everyone adores” angsty music with screaming vocals or tropical house LOL. :smiley:

:speaker::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::notes::notes:

Of course I have no idea what your personal experience with / exposure to the genre has been, but for what it’s worth:

Americanized “dubstep” is the noisy one. Earlier incarnations of the genre - up to a decade before Skrillex took it and made it big and noisy - are far more atmospheric, minimal and deep. In fact, because the difference in style is so huge, the Brits (and Americans who were into UK-style dubstep) started calling our version “Brostep”.

Brostep - neither deep nor minimal and specifically lacking the “dub” influence of dubstep - takes the electronic cacophony and jackhammers it into your head. It also evokes a mental image of people in the crowd looking at each other over a massive, screechy, squelchy buildup and going:

“Bro?”
“Bro!”
“Bro lets BRO OUT!”
“BRO!!!”
(Bass drops, mosh pit goes wild, “bros” chest-bump like crazy)
(UK collectively does a /facepalm)

If you’re interested at all, compare the following tracks to the “dubstep” you might have heard; this is when the UK and only the UK had their hands in the genre, helping it evolve from other electronic / dance styles:

Though the style or overall vibe still might not be to your liking, notice the explicit lack of the “it sounds like fax machines fighting” sound. No screeching, no wailing, and moments of virtual silence between the beats. American dubstep pushes the needle to the red - well into the red - and pegs it there.

I’m with you, I despise country. The constant nasally hick accent and cliched themes of trucks, girls, and beer isn’t the most entertaining thing for me.

I keep hearing that country is the most popular genre in the US or even perhaps the world but I beg to differ. I met more people who despise it than like it. Maybe in some backwater rural town in NowhereVille alabama, but most americans live in the coastal cities where classical, jazz, and rock music has the most following.
It should be noted that pop, rap, and country are only “popular” by default because their target demographic (teenage girls for pop, wannabe gangstas for rap, and teenage airheads for country) are suckers to spend money on buying albums or singles of their favorite genre and those people are of a specific demographic that do not represent the average american.

Believe it or not, I believe that Classical, Jazz, Epic, Exotic (world), Soundtrack (Wow’s music) and even Opera have the most following. The reason why they have so little sells is because fans of those genres don’t typically spend money on buying music. I know I don’t spend money on music but I instead follow music I like through youtube.

Yet again it is my theory and I could be wrong but I am following the “Pareto Principle” (or the 80/20 rule) if you google it says that 80% of the effects are done by 20% of the causes. Which means 80% of the top 3 music genres being sold is done by the bottom 20% of the US population.

It can be applied to other things as well, But I don’t want to derail this thread.

I don’t like Kiss, AC/DC and a lot of 80s hair bands. When I say I don’t like these bands, especially KISS, people look at me like I’m a leper.

2 Likes

Definitely grunge or anything similar. I just find it to be very bland and doesn’t really take my mind anywhere. There are exceptions though, I would say if you could call it grungy Audioslave had a few songs I really liked…

2 Likes

Rap
its awful just a buncha guys shouting and complaining boo hoo.
and most of them are phonies anyway; if they saw even half the stuff they brag on they’d faint lol

4 Likes

black or death metal , the messages in that genre sucks, promoting murder cause lets be honest there are more murderers in that scene than about any other genre.

1 Like

Living in VA, I’ve really come to dislike country and a lot of bluegrass, largely because my family had a lot of parties and played the same 20 songs at every single one of them. Also, country just doesn’t resonate with me. I cant dance to it and I don’t like how it sounds.

4 Likes

Amen bro, preach it!

Let’s ban country!

#bancountrymusic
#countrymusicstinks

1 Like

Rap, hip hop…I so dislike the music I don’t even know if those are the right names for it today (as in …is there new terms for that genre these days?).

Just don’t like it…only one exception, unless its funny.

Yes I’m that guy that thinks there’s very little talent in rap, despite I couldn’t do it. :slight_smile:

I like instruments. I love someone who can really play a mean guitar. I like listening to people who sing, not rap…sing.

Conversely I also don’t like the “death metal” stuff where they do the growls and the scream singing or whatever its called. How people think that’s cool is also as confounding to me as to why people can not use turn signals when they drive, or know what a yield sign is for.

2 Likes

mumble rap

country, rap, pop, rock, metal, emo/goth/punk and other mainstream crap.

especially country. it is a complete joke.