Murozond, End Time, and Dragonflight

Members of the Infinite Dragonflight like Chrono-Lord Deios from the Uldaman: Legacy of Tyr dungeon and Eternus from the Chromie questchain in Thaldraszus have informed that Murozond is coming and it got me wondering exactly how that would work out in DL and how it might relate to the End Time dungeon.

According to the End Time dungeon journal it was the Old Gods who deceived Nozdormu into subvert his mortality. However at the end of BfA Magni, Azeroth’s Speaker, outright told us that Azeroth free of the grasp of the Old Gods. This calls into question exactly could subvert Nozdormu into Murozond. While Blizzard could use one of the local threats in DL as the starting point for Nozdormu to become Murozond like the blight, I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept the void angle but I’m uncertain if they would have one of the old gods return, whisper behind the veil, or just upgrade after a fashion by the Void Lords responsible for Murozond’s creation.

Regardless of how it happens… there’s the matter of the fact that we killed Murozond in the End Time. Thus I wonder does that mean that at health %, Murozond stuns us, deliver some dialogue about the terrible future he saw, and then travel to the End time where he meets his end or will they pull an alternate timeline reveal with the Murozond we faced in Cataclysm being from an alternate timeline. If the former it would allow them to keep continuity and if the later it would allow them to either have Murozond be the traditional killed last boss or even survive DL and potentially come back down the road as a future threat or even a storyline where the infinite dragonflight is cured and restored to bronze.

3 Likes

I’m kinda of getting the sense that there might not be a singular be-all/end-all circumstance that leads to Murozond, and that any Murozond could as easily be the “real” one as a “false” one. That perhaps Nozdormu becoming Murozond is the inherent consequence of certain types of events taking place and knowing how he’ll die as Murozond is a deliberate mechanism on the part of Aman’thul to keep Nozdormu working to prevent those sorts of outcomes. So as long as Nozdormu is convinced that he’ll die as Murozond, he’s inherently compelled to always be acting to prevent a particular sort of catastrophe from occurring that will result in it.

After all, technically the Murozond we killed was in a false timeline when he died. Meaning the events of that timeline aren’t necessarily what really happened. In fact by the way false timelines are supposed to work, by preventing him from imposing that future upon Azeroth we made it so that specific End Time can’t happen. Hence that future fading away after we left instead of continuing to impose itself upon the timeline is what allowed us to then travel back to claim the Dragon Soul. Meaning everything that happened in it - including that specific Murozond’s death while there - would cease to be true events once he was no longer forcibly trying to maintain it.

Plus it would arguably make sense for the Infinite Dragonflight to have infinite Murozonds, all produced by myriad events that led Nozdormu to become its leader at different points in different timelines when different calamitous things occurred to incite it. We may have only killed a Murozond. Nozdormu is supposed to know how he’ll die, but given his nature as the Aspect of Time, that doesn’t necessarily preclude the possibility that he might die as Murozond more than once, at many different points across many different timelines and perhaps even repeatedly within our own. Maybe witnessing the death of another Murozond could lead him to realize that maybe this one is his true death, or perhaps neither actually were, or perhaps they both are and the whole point was to keep him cautious and introspective because there are an infinite number of potential Murozond futures and he can’t be absolutely certain if any given one is the one he was shown that’s actually supposed to happen or a false one that will end everything if he lets it happen

It’s perhaps worth keeping in mind that technically Nozdormu was shown his own death not to make sure it occurs, but rather to inform his behavior and temper him against becoming arrogant. Well, it seems to have accomplished that goal, even if he can’t tell for certain when (or in theory, if) it will actually happen in real-time. So even if hypothetically Nozdormu never actually becomes Murozond in the True Timeline, him doing so in many alternate false timelines has arguably served the very purpose for which he was shown that eventuality. After all, he wasn’t shown how he’d become Murozond; he was only shown how he’d die once he became Murozond. Meaning the death is the only certain part; everything leading to it is still speculative, even to Nozdormu himself, including whether or not those intermediary events will happen in the True Timeline or originate in false ones.

6 Likes

Since supposedly all the timelines are merging together, it could be that all the Nozdormus merge into one, including Murozond which turns Nozdormu into Murozond.

2 Likes

Interesting thoughts. I always saw Nozdormu becoming Murozond as some inevitability, Old Gods or no. If it wasn’t them who pushed Nozdormu over the edge it would have been the Void, or the Light, or just the sheer passage of time. So while the Old Gods maddening influence on Murozond’s creation were a factor, they weren’t the factor.

The Aspects are called Aspects of the World in Day of the Dragon so Murozond would be the Avatar of Azeroth herself.

Incidentally when we kill Murozond he fades from existence. If he gets absorbed by himself due to Timeline Convergence then we helped bring about his fate.

N’Zoth convinces Murozond that he is going to get absorbed into Nozdormu via the Timeline Convergence so he shatters the Timeways and prevents the Timeways from reaching the War of the Ancients.

Murozond of course can’t avert his fate so he gets absorbed into Nozdormu creating the True Murozond.

It also seems that End Time Murozond saw(thanks to Old God Visions) the True End Time that he will be pulled into as endless madness and despair.

Having to witness the ruins of Ancient Kingdoms merged with the Pristine versions would be madness since countless peoples would be tripping over each other.

Incidentally the Timelines merging could be how Blizzard balances out the Forsaken reclaiming Tirisfal Glades.

Yes they resurrect the dead Night Elves and grow a new World Tree but the Old Tree is restored via the Timeline Merge with the only hiccup being having to rescue everyone from Staghelm & Xavius’s Branch not to mention the Forsaken Occupation.

Funny considering it’s happening right as the Forsaken have to deal with a bunch of Living Humans showing up out of thin Air along with a Pristine Lordaeron.

Of course the Night Elves of our Timeline aren’t caught off-guard and get to hear the news of the Timelines merging and a pristine Teldrassil showing up fighting off various invaders.

The Night Elves are the only Player Faction not caught off-guard by the Timelines merging due to having their main Capital in the Dragon Isles and thus will bring order to the chaos.

Dragon Isles will be the first to be exposed to the Timelines merging and thus give the Night Elves an idea of what’s to come. The Bronzes will warn them of the merging and will prepare a parameter as they deal with Primalists, Infinites, Djaradin, Grimtotem and Gnolls showing up at the new World Tree. It will be like the Assaults of Legion, Uldum and Vale of Eternal Blossoms.

I really hope they ignore the dungeon journal statement that the Old Gods are behind it. Nozdormu becoming Murozond for more personal reasons would be a much better story than simply another mind control corruption arc.

Like that vision of Soridormi dying we had in the Timeless Isle quest chain back in MoP - that still hasn’t been followed up on. What if she dies in DF and that’s the catalyst to make Noz decide to change history?

It’d also be nice if they followed up on Kairoz’s foreshadowing (his “I will be infinite!” to Garrosh) but I doubt that.

3 Likes

Ever since then this is what I thought would happen. Though I figure an Old God minion will be the one to do it.

I think Kairoz was shown to do it in the cutscene. At the very least he was walking away from her as she died.

1 Like

Yeah, but he’s dead now. So if they go through with Sori dying being the catalyst for change, they’ll need to have someone else kill her unless it’s a Kairoz from a different timeline.

1 Like

It could be Kairoz from “before” he died from his perspective. The bronzes time travel after all.

I don’t actually think he’ll be brought up at all. But it could be.

3 Likes