Multithreading Optimizations - Official Response Please?

Hello all,

I have seen this question asked a few times here, but no official response that I have seen thus far. In-game, I do not see any options to enable multithreading. So, am I to assume it is enabled now by default with no further action required? Or are we all missing something here?

I know in the PTR, some manual intervention was required for this to work properly, but I purely assume such would never have to be done in the live environment.

If a Blizzard employee could provide some clarification on this, I believe many of us would be appreciative.

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s on by default.

Unfortunately at the moment settings are not saved for them which is why you can’t find any settings for it in config.wtf or config-cache.wtf nor any options for it anywhere. Multithreading optimizations will always be ON when opening the game (you can turn them off but that setting won’t save)

Thanks for the response, but I am still seeking an official response on this. I am not able to look at the moment myself, but I have read other people stating that WoW still appears to be utilizing a single processor core with DX12 enabled.

It will use UP to 2 cores but most of the work is done on 1 but I noticed about a 30% overall improvement with the multi-threaded enhancements so I am getting higher fps in all areas of the game.

Thank you for your response as well, Feliciti.

I’ll be looking closely at this myself later today to see what core utilizations are looking like on my own pc.

Still seeking that official blue response to this!

I took a screenshot of the patch notes, near the very bottom. I hope a blue responds to you but if not at least you can view it from the game client with the patch notes link.

https://imgur.com/nZT4jlo

Hi Feliciti,

Yes, I clearly saw this in the patch notes, but thanks for sharing, as I’m sure others will benefit from seeing it as well.

Hoping a blue responds simply to have confirmation that nothing has to be done by the end user to activate these optimizations.

You have a source for that?

On my main PC it seems to be using all 4. With nothing but WoW running I see roughly 50% utilization on all 4 cores.

Then on my laptop, which is similar specs to my PC, only one core is being used.

I’ve read as well that if your system is capable of DX12 it will default to it. Not true for me, I had to manually select it on both of mine. I had it a DX11 because DX12 had some issues early on and I just never switched over. DX12 seems to work fine, but would like to get the multi-threading working on my laptop.

Generally speaking, MVPs are an extremely credible source of information that can be trusted to deliver accurate information. Bluspacecow is correct in saying that the function is enabled by default.

If you’re using DirectX 12, you can verify that the multi-threaded optimisations are enabled by disabling them all by running this command in chat:

/console gxMTDisable 1

If you’re CPU-bound, your FPS should be a fair bit lower. Re-enable the optimisations by running:

/console gxMTDisable 0

Again, if you’re CPU-bound, you should see a healthy increase in framerate.

I’m seeing a ~25-30% boost in many CPU-bound areas.

Process Monitor.

Perfect. The official response is the one I was seeking. Thank you Lantrasau.

Since the subject came up, I would like to ask if ALL the multi threaded features are enabled on live. WoWhead reported that on Beta, gxMTBeginDraw and gxMTShadow were enabled by default but you would have to manually enable gxMTPrepass and gxMTOpaque to get all four renderers going - at your own risk (of course).

They even went so far as to say that if you wanted it all enabled, you should add the following lines on your config file;

• SET gxMTPrepass “1”
  • SET gxMTOpaque “1”
  • SET gxMTDisable “0”
  • SET gxMTBeginDraw “1”
  • SET gxMTShadow “1”

Problem is, these settings get removed once you launch the game. I suppose what you could do is use the following commands, if one were so inclined.

/console gxMTPrepass 1
/console gxMTOpaque 1

That’s possibly either a PTR thing or something specific to particular graphics cards. As I’ve just checked via Console mode and can confirm all options are on by default (except gxMTDisable of course)

They get removed as that’s not how the gXMT CVars operate.

AKA their settings do not get saved. When you open your game all multithreaded options are on by default. You get individually turn some of them off but their settings will not save anywhere and they will all be on when you next open your game.

The best way of checking if they are on or not is via Console mode :

Multi threading in the patch - #13 by Bluspacecow-muradin

Hey do I need to type

To make it work better? Do i need those settings at 0? in-order to get the best result?

Would love an answer because at the moment I’m notcing a huge difference only like 15fps with Multithreading at 0.

Is it safe to set the value of everything to 0 ? of all of these options?