Multi-threaded Optimization in 8.1

I'll be honest, I'm going to be lazy and not download the PTR because I don't really care about testing it out.

I have a 7600k overclocked to 4.8GHz and a GTX 1080 that is hitting ~2125MHz and sitting around 40c. In Boralus I struggle to stay above 50FPS at 1440p in certain areas with high player and NPC density. Graphics card throttles down to around base clock of 1759MHz during this.

Will multi-threading optimization help much with my setup? My monitor is capped at 60Hz and I set the limit to 70Hz just so the GPU stays cool.
TLDR: Your setup is more than fine to run WoW on ultra + You will see a huge improvements with the new multithreading in 8.1

8.1 Graphics update!

Multithreading for the renderer has been a long time coming and the team is excited for players to take advantage of the improved frame rates.

Internally, they have seen improvements of up to 50% in framerate. Player's experiences will depend on their hardware and software configuration.

Again, my brother is still using a 980ti and he is getting a great FPS while tweaking down some settings like shadows/view distance etc.

However, there are no PC in the world now that will get you full time 144fps or 60fps at 10 Ultra settings.. yes you can achieve that in empty places or even in a Idle non busy area with a lot of people. BUT

But if you really want to test the stress... go into 25man or higher Uldir(H).. and pull more than 2x pack of adds specially at "Zul"

I'm using 1080ti and OC'ed my CPU to 5.0 Ghz yet in Uldir before we pull Zul those adds does drop my fps up to 40-35 remember i'm using everything Ultra.
Basically what I heard, Instead of having 40FPS on full Ultra when you are in Boralus + Dazar'Alor .. you will be getting 70 FPS with ULTRA settings.

Live test now:

1080ti - 5.0 Ghz CPU

Full ultra settings @Dazar'Alor: https://imgur.com/a/HaR5tev

---------------------
Live test also:
Full Ultra except View distance at 8 + Environment detail at 4 :

https://imgur.com/a/JzEpyxP

I didn't test the PTR sadly, But I saw some people saying that they did indeed got boosted by a lot.
I'm only hoping to see FPS boosts in Raids or in 40man.

That's all what I care about.. getting good FPS when there are so many people in one place.. Even tho I doubt it.. But lets hope? :(
Here's a brief bit of testing I did on the PTR as of a few minutes ago:

https://imgur.com/a/PbKjA1q

It's not the most scientific testing out there, but the improvement is certainly substantial.

Specs and settings are listed in the bottom image, but tl;dr is max settings at 1440p + 50% render scale with a 9900K and a 2080 Ti. I'm seeing a ~20-30% improvement in framerate in many areas.
1 Like
Could you do a test with 100% render scale please?

I would love to see the difference.. Also no AA.

And how do you turn on the Multi-threading? is there an option to disable and enable it? or you just have to go to your config file?

I HOPE IT'S A TOGGLE OPTION :<
Render scale is entirely based on GPU, which is why I used 50%. If there's a smaller gain with a higher render scale, it simply means that the GPU was the bottleneck during parts of testing. Even at 1440p a 2080 Ti would almost never be the bottleneck, but it could be the limiting factor in some scenes at 4K and beyond.

You can toggle it in-game with "/console gxMTDisable {0,1}". Since it's a disable toggle, you'll want to use 0 to enable all of the optimisations, and 1 to disable them.
I hope this improves performance on my old desktops like the i7-930 or Phenoms.
11/12/2018 11:37 PMPosted by Kodiack
Here's a brief bit of testing I did on the PTR as of a few minutes ago:

https://imgur.com/a/PbKjA1q

It's not the most scientific testing out there, but the improvement is certainly substantial.

Specs and settings are listed in the bottom image, but tl;dr is max settings at 1440p + 50% render scale with a 9900K and a 2080 Ti. I'm seeing a ~20-30% improvement in framerate in many areas.

Is the 9900k Overclocked or at Stock? I have my 8086k running at 5.1 (all cores, no avx-offset) and am curious to see what the performance differential will be like. I saw the MMO-Champ interview with Afriasabi and Dawson that quoted up to 50% improvements in certain areas; based on internal testing.

I get dips in Boralus to 45 fps with everything set @ 10 + 4k Resolution (except View Distance and Environmental Detail, which are set @ 7); I'd literally need a 45%-50% improvement with those settings to be able to get a stable 60 fps. I also get dips at World Bosses and in LFR when AOE and Player Density is at its highest but oddly enough I haven't seen dips go below 40-45 fps; at least when I'm actively looking for the framerate.

Here's to hoping! A man can dream.

P.S. Running a 2080 for reference.
11/12/2018 07:17 PMPosted by Edisbelee
However, there are no PC in the world now that will get you full time 144fps or 60fps at 10 Ultra settings.. yes you can achieve that in empty places or even in a Idle non busy area with a lot of people. BUT

I ran with setting 1 in TM on DX12 on a 2600x and got 60fps at 4K in a full team vs team brawl. DX11 at setting 1 didn't get anywhere near 60fps. 60fps in the future might be doable the game starts utilizing the GPU more.
1 Like
11/14/2018 12:21 PMPosted by Goombario
Is the 9900k Overclocked or at Stock?

It's running at 4.5 GHz, which will actually be slower than stock at its maximum turbo speeds. However, I was able to dial down a lot of voltage and keep this system running at low temps with virtually no noise.
I'm tempted to download the PTR to see, my computer is fine but the GPU is a little weak. I need to get a new one but for now overclocking helped. Interested to see if I'l notice much change.
11/15/2018 07:07 AMPosted by Enchi
I'm tempted to download the PTR to se

Keep in mind that in the PTR it's always empty.

Like for example, Boralus in live could have more than 40 people in it running around and doing things near you.. .while the PTR you could be alone aka alone = better fps by a lot.

But yea I would like to know the results.. let me know please If you got it done compare your FPS from live to PTR with full ultra settings standing here :

https://imgur.com/a/HaR5tev
1 Like

I can’t wait. Since Nvidia’s adaptive vertical sync no longer works with the elimination of true fullscreen I’ve been relying on the in game vertical sync. The performance is worse and often times it drops down and locks at 45 FPS. Hopefully this performance boost will allow me to use it without that happening.

1 Like

G-sync works fine. Was fixed ages ago.

Gsync works fine for some, not for others. The best Gsync experience I’m getting with WoW is on Linux but Nvidia’s Linux drivers suck for day to day use.

Every person i know and have helped who had an issue with it resolved by updating to the most recent drivers, using DX12, and, if necessary, doing clean installs.

Its working, it just requires a little effort to get it un-farked.

I’m not talking about G-sync. Driver based adaptive anti-aliasing on standard monitors DOES NOT WORK. It hasn’t since July.

1 Like

What is “adaptive anti-aliasing”? I thought we were talking about framerates.

… but i thought you weren’t talking about G-sync?

You were talking abotu G-sync. Which works just fine.

There may be some issues getting it to work (some people had to do clean instealls of nVidia drivers, Windows updates, and WoW to get it all working)…

But it works.