Multi core performance matters?

Does more efficient multi core for the ryzen 3rs generation matter for games like WoW? I am trying to see if I should go 3700x or 9700k

I am looking to get 80-90 frames at 1440p and 144hz

GPU will either be 5700xt or RTX 2070 Super

Short answer: No.

WoW will heavily load up one core (the ā€œmasterā€), put a high load onto a second, and a modest load on 1-2 more. Thus youā€™ll stop seeing any benefit past 4 cores, and even that will only have a small increase over 3 (or even 2). Once youā€™ve got 1-2 more for the OS to do whatever it is that it needs to do, youā€™ve pretty much exhausted the ability to have more cores make WoW run better (even under DX12).

Thereā€™s some more recent debate over whether 4 cores is still enough as threading is seeing more usage. You can find examples where micro-stuttering may have occurred as a result of too few cores increasing response times very slightly. But the 9700k has 8 cores, and Iā€™m yet to find even anecdotes which suggest that isnā€™t enough; much less testing or examples.

Either of those CPUs will be fine for WoW. Running at the higher resolution will also make your GPU work a little harder than it normally would as well.

9700K will have slightly higher FPS than the 3700X but the 3700X with itā€™s hyper-threading will have better multi-use and a longer life span than the 9700K.

Both processors are fine for gaming. Pick one and enjoy.

2 Likes

After 8 cores youā€™re looking at diminish returns in WoW. Iā€™m going to give an unpopular opinion here.

If you have a Microcenter near you buy a 9700K and get an AIO cooler. The 3700X is a better chip but Microcenter is going to sell you a 9700K+mobo for about $60 less than the 3700X.

If you want to go max OC then yes, the 3700X will be faster than the 9700K in WoW but the amount of time and money you spend will be better to just get a binned 9900K off Silicon Lottery for less frustration for the extra 2fps.

donā€™t think the 3700x will beat the 9700k under any like circumstances in wow. but overall IMO OP i think 9700k vs ryzen 5 3600 is what you should be debating. iā€™m less of a fan of the 3700x. if you can get the 9700k for less than a 3700x iā€™d go for it.

2 Likes

The 3600X beats the 9900K in WoW heavy OC vs heavy OC (mainly due to cache sizes and if IF clock can be OCed on the mobo). Most people donā€™t have enough knowledge or the hardware on Zen2 to tweak it. Most mobos Iā€™ve seen donā€™t let you tweak the IF clock for example.

Edit: CPU scaling on 9900K on WoW. This is with very light griffin run:

Other CPUs for comparison in raid. Most of the added core benefits are in low for large scale activity:
i.redd.it/u68w0kk14c931.png

I see. Unfortunately the microcenter around me doesnā€™t have any 9700kā€™s left right nowā€¦

I am curious though. Would a stock 3600x be able to run WoW at 1440p 144hz with ease?

Even a stock 3600 do that with ease. Iā€™d recommend a 3700X over a 3600X though. The 2 cores still help with scaling in WoW in larger battles.

It should. I have an 8700k (6 cores/12 threads) and I donā€™t think it even gets above 50% usage at 1440/144 no matter what content Iā€™m doing.

You posted a 13 minute video and a link to a graph that does not show your claim is true. You are completely fabricating your claim that the 9900k heavily ocā€™d can be beaten.

1 Like

LMAO. Classic Aribeth! Wouldnā€™t be the first time.

so perhaps iā€™m wrong - they posted evidence in another thread. it is a 3 hour video. so i admit it is possible that iā€™m wrong and that video demonstrates something but iā€™m not going to watch a 3 hour video to find out.

1 Like

WoW generally runs better on Intel and Nvidia. I havenā€™t seen anything to refute that yet. Thatā€™s not to say it wonā€™t run fine on AMD.

1 Like

A 9900k set to 4 core is running at 116fps at 1080p and a 9900K set to 8 core is running at 129fps.

129 > 116. What part of ā€˜8 cores give you better performance than 4ā€™ in WoW is fabricated?

Classic Griefs, canā€™t read charts. Or maybe numbersā€¦

How on earth do you think that statement is what anyone is talking about.

Iā€™m confused, we criss-crossing topics? Are we talking about the same thing here?

iā€™m talking about the 3600x being better than the 9900k in wow. do you have a graph that shows this. or even a time point in a video or something that isnā€™t 6 hours long.

You responding to someoneā€™s request with completely unrelated info (even after quoting them) and then telling ME I have a reading problem is absolutely rich! You have been on fire with the comedy lately. I love it!

As mentioned the graph isnā€™t finished because the video and testing is still underway. He finished his 9900K benchmarks so we have a graph. Heā€™s not finished with his 3600X benchmark so we donā€™t have graphs. His data and words are we have until heā€™s finished his work. He mentions in his vid in WoW (not other titles) a 3600X overtakes his 9900K.

You do realize the topic of the thread if ā€˜Multi core performance mattersā€™ right?

We already know this. Thanks captain obvious.