Mouseover macro FPS hit

Hi all,

I have a number of mouseover macros on my resto Druid and since the 9.1 patch, I’ve noticed they’re causing a significant performance hit.

For example, standing in Goldshire my FPS is 144, and if I start mousing-over players, my FPS drops to around 90. It seems each mouseover macro causes a performance hit of around ~10 FPS which I can see by adding/removing them from my hotbar.

I’ve deleted my cache/interface and WTF folders and tried recreating the macros, but still seeing the same thing.

Here’s one of the macros in case it’s just written poorly.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt,@player] [@mouseover,help,nodead] Nature’s Cure; [harm,nodead] Soothe; Nature’s Cure

The FPS hit only occurs when mousing onto or off of the unit frames. Very obvious when moving over the frames rapidly, as one might expect when healing a dungeon. Removing the @mouseover component of the macro removes the FPS hit, however obv also disables the mouseover functionailty.

I’m not using add-ons. Any ideas?

Edit: Bug confirmed here

1 Like

That’s addon related, not macro related.

I don’t have any addons.

1. You use about 80 addons - the game itself is FrameXML and approximately 80 Blizzard-written addons.
  2. Those addons are not noticeably better-written than well-established user-written addons. I’ve been in quite a few of them and there’s some abysmal code going on in a few of them.
  3. Much of the mouseover code is not visible on the client side at all.
  4. I suspect that there was an error introduced into the game that causes this. I can’t see anything in the change logs that would account for it but Blizzard doesn’t put every small change they know about (and none of the ones that are the result of error) in there.

I do know that there’s been an issue for a while that there is an event for starting a mouseover on a unit/unit frame, but not one (visible to the client) for ending one. it’s possible Blizzard was trying to fill in that missing bit (either officially - and didn’t document it or experimentally and didn’t remove it before releasing the code) and failed.

But that’s not a suggestion that I have a definitive answer here.

It’s a suggestion that this is a very new release and from a decade and a half of experience with Blizzard’s quality control history I’d say that it’ll be a little bit before all the fallout from that settles.

Interesting, thanks for your reply.

I’ve simply removed the @mouseover component from all my macros at the moment.