Mouse Turning into 4 Way Arrow on Right Click

Just to confirm, I set my launcher to minimize to task tray on game start, and I am still getting this issue :frowning: . Was worth a try

2 Likes

I have done 40 m+ keys this week without the issue happening at all. I play with admin turned on, blizz launcher closed, and NOTHING on my second monitor.

Only seems to happen if I have things on my other monitor, and it has happened during high movement moments like m+ keys as well as in regular mundane content like flying to a dungeon with dragon riding or walking around valdraken.

Hm… Something I didn’t think about until recently. How many people who are experiencing this issue are playing on Windows 11 versus Windows 10 or Mac or Linux, etc.?

If there is a possibility for the issue to originate outside of the game client like Lisonna is suggesting, then maybe there is an interfering bug from a recent OS patch/update. I really don’t know, I’m just trying to say words until maybe someone who might know how to test for it better than me can look into it and resolve the issue (lol). I’m just offering ideas, that’s all I can do at this point.

~Bearly

Edit: Oh, just for reference, I’m on Windows 10, but I’m not sure if that’s relevant since I never experienced the issue.

I appreciate the effort, and I appreciate someone who’s more advanced than me looking into this. :slight_smile: I’m still just an apprentice, for lack of a better word. heh

I’m running windows 10. I can provide more specs / details if needed.

Hello, I just starting having this issue today 4/19/2023. Within 15 minutes of troubleshooting I have recreated the issue 100% of the time in my own case. I have 2 monitors and when I open wow the issue is not present, I move my cursor out of wow and onto my second monitor and activate (click the second monitor) WoW becomes a background program and goes mute. When I return my mouse to WoW it now has the 4 way cursor 100% of the time while trying to recreate this issue. It makes the game extremely unplayable as while I am holding to pan my view and my mouse virtually crosses the monitor plane it sends WoW to a background program and stops all inputs.

Playing in Fullscreen (Windowed) only other option is Windowed and that does not resolve the issue. Only way to resolve is to close WoW completely and re-open. Once my mouse crosses to the second monitor and clicks it happens again. Hope this gets fixed or I will have to un sub as I cannot play.

Straight to the point: Try /run SetCVar("rawMouseEnable", 1)

This has been happening to me since around the day this topic was started. The number of monitors has nothing to do with it, because I have a single monitor and I still get this issue.

It’s a band-aid fix, but it seems to be one solution that doesn’t require the player to completely exit the game: it appears the command /run SetCVar("rawMouseEnable", 1) will allow you to move your mouse to the borders of the screen and your camera will still move as expected rather than being stuck. I am not sure if the sensitivity is still affected or not, but it seemed to work for me. I am using the ‘Fullscreen (Windowed)’ option and haven’t seen any issues so far. I am not sure how this will work with more than one monitor, but hopefully it does help.

Just remember to use a maximized window if you intend to use Windowed mode, because the cursor will leave the boundaries of the window, or just have the ‘Lock Cursor to Window’ option enabled. The cursor will also still be the 4 way arrow, but it’s better than nothing!

2 Likes

Short version: Torag’s suggestion alleviates a portion of the issue and is helpful, while not fully resolving the issue. See below for details. Thanks Torag

Long version:

For the below, please note that any time I mention camera drag/move, the statement also applies to character turn. That is, the effects of holding right and left click are effected, not just left click.

To reiterate the original issue, there are ~2 primary effects when holding down right or left click.

1. The cursor changes to the 4-way arrow and remains visible
  2. The cursor moves with the held-down mouse movement (When releasing click, the cursor retains its position after the dragged motion, rather than being at the position of the beginning of the click, which is the original behavior).
  • 2a. The camera / turn motion becomes bound to the screen edge. I only play with a single monitor, so I cannot confirm the effects with multiple, but if I shrink my wow window down, my camera can drag beyond the window borders until the cursor hits the edge of my monitor, where the dragging stops

Originally I had point 2a as its own effect, but I think it’s just a side-effect of #2.

#1 feels weird after playing since launch, but is purely aesthetic and isn’t that important.

#2 and 2a suck and can make the game, especially gathering with Dragonriding, where quick mouse turning is essential to both A) mousing over the minimap nodes to see what they are (something I think should be improved in the UI but that’s an entirely different topic) and B) not flying into objects as you are flying very fast, almost unplayable.

I delineate these effects because I don’t want it to seem like we are all just complaining about a visual cursor change.

Torag’s workaround (setting the cvar rawMouseEnable) does not impact #1 (cursor remains visible and a 4-way arrow). It also does not fix #2 (cursor continues to move after holding click).
However - when the arrows begin to show, I can confirm that setting rawMouseEnable allows camera drag to continue even when the mouse hits the edge of my screen. That is to say, this fixes 2a, above.

While this does not fix the issue fully, it is a welcome improvement and I will be setting it as I play until this is fixed.

Thank you for finding this, Torag.

1 Like

I thought it was fixed with running as administrator and minimizing the launcher, but it has started happening again.

Edit: It is happening A LOT now. It’s becoming unplayable. I can’t in good conscience raid or do M+ with this still happening.

This is still happening to me regularly. It happens when I am doing basic things in the game and not even moving my mouse fast or anything like that.

With something that affects the gameplay to such a degree and that is affecting so many players in both Wotlk Classic and in Retail Dragonflight you would think something would be happening to fix it :pensive:

Well Blue Person seems like more and more people are having this issue. I lost an arena Solo Shuffle the other day because of this not fun.

Is bumping allowed on the forums? If so, Blizz, here’s the repro you were looking for. Please look at this. :frowning:

Update from Blizz over on the EU forums: https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/mouse-turning-into-4-way-arrow-on-hold-click-to-turn-camera/436172/23

I am trying this now, turning down my mouse DPI and increasing my mouse pointer speed in Windows to compensate. Will report back if it continues happening.

Edit 1: I can still reproduce it. :frowning: I think higher mouse DPI just makes it easier to reproduce; low mouse DPI + high mouse sensitivity gives the same result. So the issue isn’t DPI per se; it’s that some of us who prefer to have higher mouse sensitivity through whatever means are impacted by this.

Edit 2: I had a theory based on the above that high DPI and mouse sensitivity actually have nothing to do with this bug, other than that they make it easier to reproduce. I tested this just now by turning my DPI and mouse sensitivity in windows down to almost their minimums. It now takes me lifting my mouse up off my mouse pad multiple times and setting it back down for me to move my mouse cursor across the screen.

After doing this, I restarted WoW, verified the issue was not occurring on startup (as usual). I made sure that lock-to-window was turned in in WoW for the cursor. Then I held down right click and continually moved my mouse to the left, lifting it up and setting it back down as needed in order to do this. I released it periodically to see whether the issue had re-occurred.

It took ~1-2 minutes of playing with this, but eventually, one time when I released my right mouse button, the in-game mouse cursor was all the way to the left side of the game window.

I restarted and tested it again. This time I moved my mouse to the left five times. Enough to get it all the way to the edge of the window, if I hadn’t been holding down my mouse cursor, but not much more. The second time I released my right mouse button, my mouse was once again all the way to the left. I brought my mouse cursor back to the center of the screen, held down right click, and boom, there was the four-arrow button.

This doesn’t seem to have anything to do with mouse sensitivity or DPI, at least for me.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same problem for about a month. Woke up after a Tuesday maintenance and there it was. I didn’t change a thing. Today, Sunday, April 23, 2023 I rebooted my computer 8 TIMES ! Due to this problem. Everytime I step away from the game briefly, I mean 1-2 minutes, I come back and there it is, AGAIN! Never ingame for me. So, this evening when I decided, God forbid, to get something to eat I thought, well, I better log off so I don’t get the dreaded 4 prong cursor. Logged back on, same character, took one step forward in game, and there it was, AGAIN!! I have tried your suggestions as have so many others and to no avail. It would be really nice if you guys would take this seriously and fix it! PLEASE!

Signed,

Seriously Disgruntled

It is non-stop today. I have logged in and out of the game a half dozen times, and within a few minutes it is back. I have stopped mythic+ because it’s too easy to lose track of my mouse.

I posted earlier in this thread a few times, just wanted to say that this is still routinely happening to me, on every character, as soon as I log on. Sometimes it doesn’t happen, but that’s pretty rare. It’s still pretty much constantly occurring. So it’s now a couple of months since this started.

I too have had this happen to me periodically over the last week or so. Today, the first time it had happened was when I picked up my weekly feast quest. No way to get it gone except to restart my PC.

Been experiencing this for months. How many people are just quietly quitting over this? Please resolve, no issues in any other games.

The issue continues for me as well. I have tried disabling my 2nd monitor along with all the other suggestions here to no avail. Getting very frustrated with this.

This used to happen to me few times a day. It stopped happening after I uninstalled Logitech Options and Logitech Unifying software. It’s been more than 3 weeks since.

I have found, as someone has suggested, that right clicking the wowclassic.exe file in the classic folder, going to properties, then under compatibility checking Run this program as an administrator, has completely stopped the issue for me.

I have been having this issue for many months now and I was surprised that this worked. One thing to note is the wowclassic.exe somehow unchecked the run as administrator option on its own at some point and I had to reenable it once the issue started reoccurring.