Mouse issues

Happens with both mice (they are wired), no matter which USB they are plugged into.

Randomly in game I will lose the ability to click anything and only my keyboard responds. It started happening wed and I did not update any add-ons or programs on my computer.

I returned to factory settings, and reinstalled the game and still have the same issue.

I use 2 monitors and using wow I’m im windowed mode. The wow curser (hand) stays no matter which monitor (never switches to normally pointer) I use and I cannot select anything on my 2nd screen either.

Something in game is locking my mouse up. Any suggestions?

Hey there,

Looking over your description, I can think of a few things. I do have a few questions for you to consider and try to help narrow your troubleshooting focus.

1. When you say you factory reset, Do you mean you used the reset option for Windows to return it to default install/settings? Or did you actually wipe the system (format) and reinstalled Windows?

The reason to ask this is while using the reset windows option will indeed cleanup core files and return windows settings/registry to default, it doesn’t really remove 3rd party data like programs and games (though it does break windows links to that software and remove shortcuts, clear some windows based folders, etc…) So while the issue is not likely a windows setting or registry issue it won’t rule out potential driver issues or other software conflicts.

1. When you reinstalled the game, did you just redownload it after resetting windows or did you go in and make sure the old data was wiped before reinstalling? Even if you use the uninstaller it doesn’t remove everything. (usually 3rd party modifications or cached data/settings)

2. Drivers/updates. When you reset did you then run Windows update to pick up any OS updates? Did you visit the sites for your various pieces of hardware and ensure you have all updates for those devices? (GPU, System Board, GPU, peripherals, etc?)

3. Did you reinstall other software besides the Blizzard app and Game Client before testing?

4. Do you always play in windowed mode? Does this happen if you play in Windowed fullscreen? That can provide a clue to source if the issue is different in different modes.

Think about the answers to those as it may help narrow down potential causes a bit further.

Now as for the issue itself. Typical causes are going to be. Device conflict, Driver issues, Software Conflict, Permission issues, or corrupt data/settings. I think we can rule out permission issues or device conflict since this happens with 2 different mice.

My suggestions without more actual data would be to ensure you have all windows updates, all driver updates for individual hardware including the system board and your gpu from the system maker and nvidia/amd/intel depending on GPU.

Temporarily disable/remove any software that is not needed to test the Blizzard app and game client.

Clear out any potential corrupted data that might have survived the reset and reinstall for the game. (Open the Blizzard app, click the gear symbol next to the WoW play button, choose show in explorer.) go into the appropriate client folder and delete the cache, interface and wtf folders, then empty the recycle bin) After which go back to the Desktop app, click the gear symbol again, go into game settings and reset the in-game options for the specific client.

Next. I have seen weird mouse issues happen with multimonitor setups. Usually the issue is specific to moving the mouse between the multiple monitors with the game running and has more to do with how windows reads raw mouse data and glitching that can happen with certain monitor connection disparities. (More common on mixed signal types like one monitor uses HMDI and another uses like DVI or USB or Displayport. Also more common on older connection types like DVI and VGA)

Something you can test is just temp remove extra monitors and see if this happens in windowed/windowed fullscreen when you only have one active monitor. If that does change the issue, checking your cables and connections from the PC to monitors can help address that. (This is not common but its an easy test to help rule things out)

Now if none of what I discussed helps you figure this out. I recommend putting in a support ticket for direct assistance:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/contact/164/ticket

Include the system files it asks for (Steps link on submission form) and also include what you have tried in your description of the issue.

that will give out technical support agents a good look at your system to see if we can find a source. /salute!

Thank you. Will be going through all this tomorrow.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.