Mouse cursor jumping on occasion

The issue where holding down right/left click, and the cursor erratically spikes in a direction, causing you to turn either camera or character position, out of your control.

Tried all of the troubleshooting steps, disabled any mouse software or unnecessary software in background with overlays, tried multiple mouse…

Used this command: /script SetCVar(“rawMouseEnable”, 1); and ensured that it was on, and this instead changed the issue from camera turning to cursor sliding. Instead of the camera turning erratically, the cursor will slide around erratically, to a new location on the screen after releasing mouse button. This is NOT a solution.

Throwing this in here to get word on what’s wrong, or any recent solutions. Please.

2 Likes

Howdy Borgini,

Please try the following steps to see if we can get the mouse fixed up.

Step 1: Reset UI
We aren’t too sure why this has fixed it for many players, but there’s been reports of success. It may be a setting saved in WTF. As you do use Addons, this won’t be the normal Reset UI as I don’t really want to force you to replace them. This will affect your keybindings.

· First, uninstall any Addon downloader you may have, such as Curse Client or WoW Matrix. If you skip this step, it will just place the potentially problem programs back onto your computer.

· Next, please go to your WOW folder
(Your WOW folder can be accessed by right clicking your WOW icon and selecting Open File Location/Open Containing Folder)
· Delete the following 2 folders: WTF and Cache
· Rename Interface to Interface.old so you do not lose all of your addons but they are removed from the game.

Once these are off, please log back into the game and see if the camera starts to behave. If it does, please go back into your WOW folder, delete the new Interface folder it gives you, and rename interface.old back to interface.

Step 2: Screen Mode

This is actually a workaround, but many players reported changing the screen mode will fix the issue.

· While Logged in on a character:
· Press Esc
· Go to System
· Change the window setting

Step 3: DPI scaling
This one is a little different, as it involves changing the properties for the game exe files, even though it launches from the Battle.net App.

· Close the App and the game if its open
· Go to your World of Warcraft folder
· Right click on your wow.exe
· Select Properties
· Go to Compatibility
· Choose for it to use Windows 7 Compatibility Mode
· Choose to disable DPI Scaling
· Click okay

Repeat this for wow-64.exe if you have this one as well.

Step 4: Windows Mouse Compatibility issues
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/windows-7-mouse-pointer-incompatibility

This involves both changing resolution for the desktop as we’ve seen this affect mice in the last issue that happened a while ago with Windows and Mouse Cursor camera, as well as changing the cursor option through the Battle.net App itself.

This issue is not resolved.

Tested extensively for a day, did a complete UI reset as you described, did a second involving resetting all addons, switched to windows 7 compatibility + disabled DPI scaling, tried windowed, and the issue persists.

On the bright side, the game is still playable, and the chat command helps make it more controllable, but the erratic cursor movement on occasion is still there.

I have no idea if this is noteworthy, but I specifically switched to a mouse that does not require any additional mouse-related software to function. No more razer or Logitech options, but I did have them in the past. Thought I would just add this incase it’s part of my problem.

I believe there was a blue post (can’t find it - it’s in the old version of forums read-only) (edit: Nope, it’s in this version of the forums) that mentioned this was at the very least being “looked into”, so if there’s any update of knowledge further on this beyond the perpetual troubleshooting then I would be interested. Perfectly fine if this is something that is eventually looked into 2 years from now.

Thank you for your time.

What’s your polling set at?
I remember that for a while any polling (not dpi) set over 125 would give jumping cursors and other unpredictable behavior.

I’m gonna say that this previous issue from the past is prooooooobably solved since then, given that would affect a significantly larger amount of players if it were the case, lol.

1 Like

This was from this past summer…

And from less than a month ago…

Okay then. I swapped in a Razer mouse of mine which I do not use anymore, and changed Synapse settings for my world of Warcraft profile to have a polling rate of 125.

This is NOT a solution. The jumping still occurs, and still doesn’t have a solution.

Still curious for more troubleshooting since this issue doesn’t seem to affect enough players for them to actually look into it. I can replicate the issue pretty easily.

Edit: Please fix Raw Mouse Input - #5 by Enthyx-emerald-dream <---- link

Finally found this thread after seeing it once then not being able to find it again. Even has the polling rate solution in it, which surprised me. It also includes the blue post stating that this is a known issue which I mentioned previously. Just incase providing a link to this can get somewhere…….

Yeah, that’s the one I linked above. I don’t have any other thoughts for you beyond that link. The post I linked had several tweaks to try, but they depend greatly on individual systems - razer mouse or not, etc. You may just be at hurry up and wait.

Now that I can reliably replicate this issue here is what I can report on it:

It only happens in World of Warcraft.

It also only happens when I click and hold. Thus, things like @cursor macros and @mouseover macros are actually less problematic since they assist in keeping spells functional with less mouse clicks, of course, until I need to reposition my camera or chatacter which is undoubtedly important due to how often it’s done just playing the game, even if I just play casually.

The issue occurs in the direction my mouse was moving while I was clicking and holding in an attempt to replicate this issue. If I right click hold, move my mouse to the bottom left to turn my camera, my cursor (when this issue occurs) WILL end up in the bottom left of the screen. It is very consistent in this way. For this reason, it seems like it’s sort of “releasing” in the background of the game, or something, so the cursor is still active even though it should be stuck and remain until the mouse click is released.

Moving the mouse slowly during has been less likely to trigger than moving the mouse very quickly.

With the raw mouse command enabled, this does not seem to happen during the camera turn - only after I release the mouse, which does make this issue significantly less debilitating.

As I do this on purpose, it happens about every 50 or so click-and-drags. It does not happen with every click-and-drag. It just happens pretty randomly, but consistently occurs again in the future.

The above is all with /script SetCVar(“rawMouseEnable”, 1);

^this enabled.

With it disabled, the cursor seems to instead jump to the center of the screen every time, regardless of direction of movement.

It also seems to be jumping to the center of my screen during the mouse movement while clicked and held, which can cause erratic camera turns when raw mouse is disabled. I am having a hard time replicating this, however. I specifically do not get these with raw mouse enabled, though.

Edit: Tested this all in windowed instead of fullscreen (windowed), now that I can easily test this. It does NOT solve the issue, and continues to jump all the same.

7 Likes

Sorry to dredge up your old post, but I’ve been having the same issue. I use a Logitech G600. Thought at first it was because my mouse was over a year old, so I bought a new one. No dice. Tried updating my graphics drivers and the logitech software. Tried closing the software entirely, got rid of addons.

Unfortunately I have the issue in both WoW and ESO.

1 Like

@ Nillah,
i have a Razer naga that’s 7 years old and a new logitech g600 like just got it yesterday, neither has clicking problems in game polling rate set to 1000, has to be some kind of overlay or something messing with your cursor.

I’d try adjusting polling rate as Zungar mentioned. There are some bugs we’re investigating still with raw mouse inputs and polling rate adjustments do sometimes work around the bug for now. You can also try typing this into your in game chat box and pressing enter to see if it helps.

/console rawmouseenable 0

I’ve had this issue for all of Legion and Bfa. I’ve learned to live with it honestly, nothing I’ve tried has fixed it, and everyone having the same problem that I’ve ever found and used a fix, the problem just came back.

1 Like

Okay got the reply button to work, lol

I notice there’s more players popping up with this issue, while im not currently playing wow I can assist by saying - what you will need to do is just play around it, still do the endless troubleshooting nightmare to fish for a solution if you truly do want to play WoW that badly but until then, here is how you play with it:

1. Keep all of the commands off, using base settings. You do this so that the issue is, ideally, where the mouse cursor resets to the middle of the screen, instead of sliding.

2. Learn to play by keeping the cursor toward the center of your screen. When cursor resets happen, they won’t be nearly as debilitating.

3. Your camera will jerk on occasion. You’ll gradually teach yourself to instinctively correct it (can be done very quickly even though it is annoying).

Apologies for way late reply as I’m not playing right now, but good luck to the players with this issue! Good luck as well on finding the solution to whatever it is.

Same problem for Legion and BFA, legit cancelled my subscription cause it was so frustrating
Polling rate, compatibility, full screen optimizations, full screen, windowed, different mice, no addons, delete WTF, DPI scaling…none worked
Ended up fixing it by uninstalling my Wacom tablet drivers AND enabling raw mouse. Had to be both as I tried both individually.

I notice this is back. I have another thread too. It was fixed with this patch, then started just about 2 days prior to my other thread (edit: 9 days ago) (it chooses my characters randomly and I don’t have the energy to dig into new forums settings).

And yeah, so far, it’s sort of a……. unsubscribe and consider yourself lost if you end up with it. You are going to get drowned out by troubleshooting that does nothing, and Raw Mouse Enable commands are now bugged again and cause your cursor to slide in the direction of movement. I see reports of this since 2011. So. Honestly. Old School Runescape it’s a great alternative if you like the old RPG feel in MMOs, and don’t play for the graphics (or understand how to appreciate OSRS’s). It’s kept itself afloat for a while now. Otherwise if you are relied upon for content in WoW for any reason then just work around it and pray.

Just chiming in to say I’m glad I’m not the only one. No matter what disk or OS (Win 7, 8, 10) I install the game on; whether or not I use addons; whatever polling rate I set; whether or not I use pointer software; whether I click or click and drag; the issue persists.

I can replicate it reliably and constantly if I move my camera while clicking quickly. It’s remarkable that this problem still exists so many years later (I remember having it in Wrath). Imagine having an issue like this in an FPS like Overwatch–it would render the game totally unplayable.

2 Likes

Back to follow up. Since my last post that problem has actually not gone away, it just started occurring less. All the listed fixes seem to reduce the problem some, but nothing fixes it.

I actually discovered a new, possibly related, issue.

Now, not only do I get the camera jump when I click and drag the mouse, I get some kind of camera drag (where instead of instantly cutting to a new view, the camera rapidly transitions to that new scene) when I’m rotating the camera by holding down right-click. Before, if I didn’t let go of my mouse, I could at least be sure the camera wouldn’t jump. This now is quite unplayable. I’ll try run the game in safe mode and see what happens.

This issue is not “jumping”. Its your mouse cursor resetting back to the middle of the screen. Ive had this issue since cataclysm, i think it was fixed a couple of expansions, then it came back with Legion, was gone when bfa released, then it came back with 8.1.5, i just learned to live with it, but it killed me a few times in raids. I change mouse every year or two. Contacted support plenty of times for 10 years! This seems to be a problem buried deep within the game. I gave up finding out whats the cause. This is definitely only a wow issue, it never happens in any other games.