Mouse Clicks Won't Register

I just installed WoW and I am returning after a long time. I have no add ons or any other modifications. I am playing on a second monitor hooked up to my MacBook Pro and using a Cyborg R.A.T. 3 mouse via USB.

When I try to click on things either in the menu or in game, the first click does not register. I have to click and drag over to said thing, button, object, then click again for it to register a click. This happens with both L/R clicks. Outside the game the mouse works perfectly. In addition, this happens whether I use the Bluetooth Mac Mouse or even the track pad.

I have followed Blizzard support “advice” and renamed my Interface file “InterfaceOld” but still nothing works. Help is greatly appreciated because without it I have no interest in playing the game again. Thank you.

Try this, which is used to fix a ton of issues with third party mice in macOS:

Open Terminal (found in /Applications/Utilities/), then copy and paste the following line, then hit Enter to commit the command:

defaults write com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft disable-expose-fix -bool YES

Hopefully this fixes the need to double-click/click-drag to register a click.

It did not work. I could understand If it was just the third party mouse but as I said, the Mac mouse and track pad have the same issue.

That was the primary reason I suggested the command. It doesn’t work just for third party mice. If it’s happening with the Apple supplied peripherals than you may have an addon that’s actually causing issues (Blizzard’s built in UI is addon based and can itself be a problem from time to time).

There is something else you can try, in case something is stealing focus from the game and causing it to shift into the background for some reason. A couple years back, Rommax added an accessibility feature (hack) that mimics exclusive fullscreen mode’s functionality, thereby keeping the game in focus and in the foreground. You can activate that mode by adding the following line to the end of your config.wtf file:

SET ExclusiveWindowMode "1"

This will disable CMD-TAB and the CMD-H command to hide the game will not function unless you first use CMD-M to switch window modes when this CVAR is active. But it will make the game remain in the foreground, preventing anything from stealing focus. You can revert (disable) this feature by simply removing the line from the config.wtf file if it doesn’t work.

I cannot find ExclusiveWindowMode in the wtf file. I am using TextEdit to open the file. I even ran a find search to make sure I wasn’t misreading it.

I can also tell you so that maybe it can narrow down the issue. Double clicking doesn’t work. I have to literally click and drag in order for any button to recognize that my cursor is moused over it. Only then can I actually click it.

It wouldn’t be in there prior to now. That’s why I said to add it. But if only click-drag is working, something’s borked with your UI and is tainting other aspects of the UI and preventing them from seeing input.

I’ll keep looking around to see if I can find something else for you to try. :slight_smile:

I appreciate your help.
In case you were wondering, I already tried reinstalling and no luck. Thank you again. I can’t be the only one having this issue.

I “added” the set line to config.wtf and no change.

Boohiss. Hissing boo I am. Thankfully you can simply remove the line to regain use of CMD-TAB/CMD-H when playing.

Out of curiosity, do you have more than one mouse hooked up at the same time (that includes mouse + separate external trackpad combo)?

I did have both the wireless mouse and usb mouse connected. I disconnected the wireless mouse but no luck either.

Argh. I wish I could be there in person. I’m really good at in person tech support (and I’m bored silly because my inability to be mobile for more than an hour or two a day makes for lots of downtime). That and I don’t like people unable to get past problems like these. I share your frustration, and I’m still trying to spitball troubleshooting steps to weed out the problem here.

So it turns out that it has to do with how I’m connecting the mouse. I am using a lightning bolt to USB adapter and that is what’s causing the issue. I ordered a mouse that connects direct to lighting bolt and it works fine. Problem solved. I want to thank you so much for taking time to help a stranger on the internet with a minor issue. I really do appreciate people like you who are willing to help dummies like me. Thank you again.

2 Likes

When it comes to thunderbolt to USB, i found the wrong ones cause problems, yet ones of proper spec, like one apple sells, work fine…

But direct connect works too.

Heh. It never occurred to me that someone might be using a Thunderbolt to USB adapter. I guess that’s what happens when Apple shortchanges people on USB ports. I’ll have to add this to my troubleshooting repertoire.

It’s very likely in this case that the R.A.T. 3 mouse is the culprit in the chain actually. Newer mice have controllers more compatible with adapters like this. The R.A.T. 3 is old. Very old. Like way back when the G9x was being made old. The newer ones are the 4/8 series. I can easily see that mouse causing problems. I had a R.A.T. 7 from back then and went to the G9x for two reasons: The R.A.T. just didn’t jive with anything very well even with USB Overdrive, and its thumbrest was flimsy as hell and became unlevel in less than a day and couldn’t be fixed. Directly connected to USB should work though. Problem is Apple doubles TB as USB as well, as seen above. :confused: