Mouse button as a modifier

So, it seems that the WoW key bindings doesn’t allow the option to assign a modifier (shift, or ctrl as an example) to a mouse button.

It was suggested to me on the general forums that I use the app the mouse comes with map those modifier keys to the mouse.

I of course would love to do this… Assuming it’s not going to come in conflict with any automation detection from Blizzard.

So, with the experience and time from the regulars here. How likely do you believe this would be a issue? Or am I being overly concerned about it?

Hello Waylin,

Editted: my previous post was not clear and simple.

I’d strongly suggest you do not use third party software to do anything w/ re: to WoW. I would, instead, suggest you find a different keybind you are comfortable with.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I figured would be the answer, sadly with my age getting up there in years and losing some dexterity in my hands I find it harder and harder to use the shift, Ctrl, and alt keys as my modifier and hit the number needed as well.

It would of been easier to just assign some of those keys to the mouse to make it easier. But with the crack down on various forms of automation software over the last few years I felt a second opinion would be good.

Thank you kindly for your response.

Perhaps there are some Accessibility options you could consider. Wow is really quite good about adding these options. I am not very familiar with them, but I know from some posts that they are used and new ones added regularly.

Also, perhaps you could consider mapping an alt-key combo to a key closer to the modifier. Shift-z, or cntl-c, etc? Would that be a bit easier…or there are mmo mice out there. The 12 buttons one have the keys on the side defaulted to 1-10, etc. So a modifier plus mmo mouse side key? Maybe atht would be asier?

1 Like

I’ll look into it :slightly_smiling_face:

Caveat Waylin,

Honestly, I don’t think Blizz would have a problem with a player using their mouse/keyboard software (razor/etc) to modify a mouse key press: as long as it is one key press one action. But this can be a grey zone, and there are bad actors out there who will take advantage of any clear up/down yes or no, so no one here has ever really answered where the line is drawn. Even the Blues are vague, when they have responded.

Perhaps one can correct me if I’ve not been correct.

Anyway, that’s the reason for the third party software warning above. It’s best to be careful, especially with long lived old accounts we love.

1 Like

Something you can try - reach out to the Accessibility team. There have been folks who have come back to say that they had received a response from the team - but I do like to err on the side of caution to state that responses aren’t guaranteed. Perhaps if you do get a response, they can help guide you through some suggestions and the like. Good luck to you.

7 Likes

Ohh that is a really good point Leilleath.

4 Likes

I would certainly rather stay on the of caution than risk a account that I have enjoyed since just before burning crusade.

Your advice has been helpful and much appreciated. I fully understand the reason why the blues and blizz in general have been cautious about giving a firm line on the issue.

That is a excellent suggestion. And thank you for giving it.

2 Likes

There may be addons that do what you want to do. Clique is one that comes to mind.

If you’re planning on doing that for healing, I use Vuhdo, and it lets me bind mouse buttons and modifiers to spells.

1 Like

I use my Logitech keyboard software ONLY to assign the modifier (shift, ctrl + shift, etc.) to my G keys. Once they’re applied, I use Vuhdo to assign my healing spells to the appropriate key bind. I’ve been doing it for years and it’s never been a problem.

The No No is that you cannot use any out of game software to create macros that allow for more than one action (spell) per key press.

1 Like

If you’re only using the modifiers for Vuhdo, Vuhdo can do that itself and you don’t need the Logitech software.

1 Like

Waylin, what I did in the mouse software/app (I have a Logitec G502) is I assigned each of my mouse keys (except right/left click & mouse wheel) to the number keys on my keyboard. In-game, under keybindings, I assigned mouse wheel up/down as a secondary option on Action Bar #1 to the 1 & 2 keys.

So If I scroll-up, it’s equivalent to pressing the 1 key, scroll-down is 2, G3 mouse key is 3, etc. And to each of those number keys (action bar #1) I have an in-game created macro with modifiers & help/harm conditions.

With that, all you’re doing is substituting a keyboard press with a mouse press, the mouse isn’t doing any automating. The set-up allows me to put everything I need for any class on my mouse and I use my keyboard for movement, tab-targeting, interact key, and seldom used things.

I hope you find something that works for you.

1 Like

It’s safe to do. It’s not considered automation because it’s still 1 action per hardware event.

I played with one of my Naga thumb buttons bound to CTRL for a number of months after the left ctrl on my keyboard gave out.

2 Likes