Mouse Button 4 Defaulting

So I was having an issue with my keybinds saving, but as it turns out, that wasn’t the issue at all.

See, I’ve bound my mouse button 4 (thumb button 1 of 2) to action ability 4, given that’s what I use for all my basic abilities. I have also set keyboard 4 to action 4, as is fairly normal for the average player and is the wow default. both keyboard and mouse button share the same command.

I have also done this with 5 (with respective abilities, using mouse button 5, or thumb).

Oddly enough, when I reloadUI, 5 correctly shows a 5 tooltip default the first of two keybind abilities, so on my action bar in slot 5, it says 5.

but on 4, it says mouse button 4. It reverts back to MB4 as being the first default, while mB5 doesn’t. I can change this so that 4 sits in the first default slot instead of MB4, but when I reload, they switch back.

Does this affect the functionality? No; it’s not really that big a deal gameplay wise, but the reload kicks MB4 to my tooltip over the action bar, which caused me to incorrectly believe that keybinds weren’t saving.

It’s also kinda ugly. Whatever. Why is this happening? it sounds like a system thing. Can it be fixed?

This is something I noticed a while ago. (So, it’s been at least since Shadowlands.) The game has a preference for which binds should be in the first slot/second slot when using multiple binds for a keybinding.

I’m not aware of any workarounds.

1 Like