Mount Equipment Update Idea/Flying Ground Mounts

I would like to suggest in either Season 4 or TWW going forward that a new item to allow ground mounts to “fly” would be highly beneficial. Mount equipment hasn’t really been relevant in quite a few tiers now, bar water-walking. (Give the skimmer their ability back)
I believe in the new open world of majority dragonriding, all these massive open areas, ground mounts feel forgotten unless explicitly used or indoors. A new mount equipment allowing ground mounts to run through the air (hover-flying) would solve a great many issues with both facets’ sheer underutilization.
(Consideration for the hesitant, I draw inspiration from Nazjatar’s items to let swimming mounts fly in zone)

7 Likes

I cannot even begin to describe the disappointment I felt when I came back to find my skimmer was just a normal mount. Only reason I did the rep was for that mount.

And yes, there should be an item that gives your ground mounts a flight enchantment. Kinda lame that it wasnt part of that update, to be honest. Such a simple idea.

If the reason it wasnt done was cuz they think they have to make new animations, dont even bother. Just make em fly, and ride the air just like the Hearthsteeds or that day/night mount. No new animations needed.

3 Likes

Mount equipment to allow ground mounts to fly would be fine; I wouldn’t use it but a lot of players have expressed wanting to use their ground mounts as flying mounts. I just don’t want it as a baseline. I’m also hoping for dynamic ground mount abilities in the future - maybe Midnight - since it seems dynamic flight was a success. It was adapted from Guild Wars 2 so might as well adapt the rest of their mount system.

1 Like

Well, I have to admit, it would be cool fly around on the red Creeping Carpet.
Likewise the Mechano-chopper!

And, as the only place ground mounts are currently useful are PvP battlegrounds, it would bring them back into the main game.

The problem with this is you’d have to get rid of dragonriding first. Otherwise why would you ever use any other mount?

You’d never use a high jump mount because your dragonriding mount can get there with 2 skyward accents.

You wouldn’t use a long jump mount or water skimmer for the same reasons. A fast mount like the roller beetle wouldn’t work either because you can fly way faster and in a straight line.

The reason it works in GW2 is because the griffon kind of sucks. You can’t get much height from ground level. And in order to go fast, you need height to transition into forward speed.

Blizz took the base concept of the GW2 Griffin and made it too good to then implement ground versions.

Had this same idea a bit ago, OP!

Big yes.

Why? Leave dynamic flight for flying mounts and make dynamic riding for ground mounts. I’m saying ADAPT the system, not copy it wholesale.

Why would you use anything but flying mounts? Ground mounts still exist even after flying mounts’ introduction and expansion over the years.

Can the meat wagon have dragon riding please.

Thanks.

Yeah, and nobody ever uses them outside of flexing in town or the yak for transmog/vendor.

If you gave a ground mount a long jump ability, why would you ever use it when you can just fly over whatever gap your ground mount would be used thi jump over?

You wouldn’t. You’d just fly over it.

That’s why I said the Griffin from GW2 works in that game. Because it doesn’t get much height from the ground, so using the raptor is often better. Although once you get the Griffin some mounts like the rabbit and skimmer before useless.

And it would be the same for wow. They made flight too good. And ground mounts are useless unless you specifically ban the use of flying.

Untrue.

Each of my other characters, including my druid, have a ground mount and a flying mount and the ground mount sits in the prime right corner and is used the most.

Your playstyle is not everyone’s playstyle.

Because, for me, it is more fun.

No, I wouldn’t.

They are not useless because using them allows you to see the World and experience the story more intimately and immersively.

Personally, with my playstyle, I would enjoy a long jump because I love sailing over things on my horse mounts, but not a high jump.

And the only ground mount I have ever wanted to have the addition of flight is my warlock’s dreadsteed, as long as it included red wings similar to the fiery hearthsteed’s because nothing says warlock like a dreadsteed!

I have all these wonderful mounts, I want to use as many as possible. At one point, each of my characters had a ground mount for initial exploration, a flying mount for later play and a dragon flying mount just because dragons.

But that is the thing about providing choices, people can make their own.

1 Like

So you just walk from 1-10? You just walk in Algethar Acedemy? Jeeze dude, way to bring down your team being a useless walker and such.

What about ICC? You just walk to the ship?

There are SO many places we use groundmounts, so your comment is asinine.

Pretty sure this sentence covers all the above cases.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right.

And the same can be said for you. And I doubt Blizz are going to go out of their way to reinvent their entire mount system for one dude.

Most* people would rather fly over an obstacle than use multiple different forms of movement to traverse it. hence why you never see people running through Azure Span on a ground mount.

Yeah, everyone does this. Because there are situations where Blizz allow you to mount but limit flying. Like in dungeons. So most people have several mounts that they like to use. Including a ground mount.

But as stated before, most people aren’t using them in the open world. Blizz would have to limit flying for people to want to use them. (Outside of you.)

I’m not saying I don’t like the GW2 mount system. In fact, it’s brilliant and one of the best mount systems in gaming. I would have loved to have seen it fully adopted into WoW. The problem; I’m saying; is that that made flight too good and most* people would still take the easy way over the dynamic way.

Blizz made flight too good and would have to limit it for ther majority if people to make use of the dynamic ground mounts. (Like they currently do with regular ground mounts.)

I will quote myself because you jumped the gun.

Please read the whole post before commenting.

I specifically said people don’t use them unless they’re in areas where they have no access to flight.

My problem isn’t that I dislike dynamic ground mounts. My problem is that they made flying to accessible and convenient for this system to work. As I’ve previously stated; which you seem to have ignored; they would have to limit the use of flying for most* people to use it.

Every single one of your examples are placed where Blizz specifically limits the use of flying. As per my original statement.

And you are still assuming your way of playing is the default.

So I repeat: Your playstyle is not everyone’s playstyle.

Ground mounts as flying mounts? I can see it now - the Brutosaurs and Yaks would blot out the sun. And it would be awesome.

1 Like

oh my good lord I didn’t even consider this, I assume Blizz would prefer to limit it slightly from the MASSIVE mounts but I would love to see this just for the hilarity.

1 Like

No. It’s like 99% of players.

And I doubt Blizz would put all this work in for 6 dudes on the forums.

You forget that they would literally have to change the entire landscape in every single zone in there entire game so that you head chasms to jump over or mountains you can climb ect…

That’s not going to happen because you don’t want to get on your flying mount.