Mount drop chances on Legacy raids?

For every legacy raid, BFA and before, where a Mount drops off a boss… does anyone know for CERTAIN:

• 5 people in raid, after boss kill we all have same chance to get MOUNT? So theoretically, though highly unlikely, all 5 of us could get the mount if it were to drop.

or is it

• 5 people in raid, after boss kill there is only 1 mount loot chance. So no matter how many people, only one person could get the mount.

Anyone know for sure?

I’m pretty sure it can only drop for one person at a time, so bringing additional people will only hurt your chances.

1 Like

With legacy loot, it is shared loot if you are in a group. So yeah, a single mount could potentially drop, but who it goes to will be completely random. Personal loot mounts like the Antoran Charhound or G.M.O.D. are exceptions to that rule and will potentially drop for anyone who needs them.

1 Like

If all 5 people went eveyone has like 1% drop

All old mounts are personal loot and anyone can get them. I think the only raid mount that’s an exception is the Mythic Fyrakk mount.

This is correct the only thing I’ll add is that the Nightbane mount from Kara operates differently, and also I think from King Mechagon but don’t quote me in that second one.

The smoldering wyrm from Kara had a 20% drop per character in the party, so if you go in with a full 5 it’s a guaranteed drop but only 1. If you go in solo you have a 20% to see it and of course keep it since you’re alone.

Incorrect. With legacy loot, only one will drop for the party/raid. The exception to that rule is mounts that are personal loot by default.

1 Like

Ah right. Yeah, I forgot about that one.

1 Like

Which legacy loot mounts work like this?

Literally every single one?

Okay, so apparently it works that way for invincible according to a reddit post. Interesting to learn.

As I said, every single one.

You gave exceptions, and there actually quite a bit. Shadowlands mounts are also personal loot. Just wondering about Ny’alotha allseer now.

Again, incorrect. SL mounts aren’t legacy loot in dungeons or raids yet. They are either personal loot (like the charger from the Nine) or group loot like Vengeance or the mount from the Jailer. We are talking about legacy loot items here, and there’s only going to be one drop in an entire party or raid if the mount isn’t personal loot. The Smoldering Emberwyrm mentioned above is a bit of an anomaly since it requires very specific conditions to drop at all.

I know I just brought them up anyway.

Some Wowhead comments claimed they were personal loot and reported seeing people get multiple. Idk for sure, though.

Well, they are wrong. lol It is group loot. It was personal loot back when it was current and guaranteed to drop. Not so much now with the switch to group loot, and the decreased drop chance.

People have also claimed to have seen two drop in a single raid. Not sure how that works if it’s apparently a 1% chance to drop at all, then given to someone in the raid.

Legacy loot, again, doesn’t work this way. With group loot yeah, it’s possible to see more than one rare item drop. It’s just highly unlikely.

Confusion and niche exceptions aside, the real answer OP is you should be going in solo if you’re mount farming and it’s old enough.

If you require a group because it’s not overgeared yet, or there is some weird mechanic that requires more than 1 person I would still go with the least amount of people I could.

I’ve helped a couple people through old old raids just because they asked for help because they never did it themselves and out of about five times helping a mount dropped once and they won it… grrrr because of course they quit WoW shortly after

Not sure what you mean by “again.” I didn’t say it was personal loot. The mount can still be group loot, but in a wonky way, still be given to a random person without people having to roll on it. At least that’s what folks claim is happening.

You said this at first, though.