More Demon hunters races

I don’t mind that Vulpera have access. It just find it odd when placed in contrast to the class not being offered to Highmountain, who have specific lore connecting them to the demonic.

2 Likes

It’s fun to debate about class lore but when it comes down to it it’s probably pointless.

They said they were looking into making it to where any race can roll any class but they had to work out the logistics of it first. Rogues, Mages and Priests don’t have logistics tied to them but classes like Shamans have racial totems, Paladins have racial mounts and Druids have racial animal forms.

We’ll just have to be patient and see if they actually do it and if they do, how well they introduce combos like eredar Warlocks and Forsaken Druids.

Anyways, they wouldn’t have said they were thinking about it if they weren’t going to do it.

4 Likes

Direct connection with learning magic and making great strides to understand it - ALL warlocks are mages first and foremost, and then turn their studies to demons, so a pre-requisite of warlocks for a race is that the race can be a mage

Could actually be warlocks, but if they were … considering the situation with the timelines, the Draenor storyline, and so on … they would’ve been exterminated exceedingly quickly or just been a normal Orcish warlock from our timeline

This actually makes sense though because of their lack of a demonic connotation … because Warlocks aren’t driven by ‘demonic connections’ but ambition
Ambitious mages are the ones who turn to fel magic in an attempt to control and manipulate life force around them and Vulperans can be mages so… a survivalist mindset makes it probably one of the easiest races to choose to learn fel magic - heck it might actually be one of the few races where folks are fine with fel magic in the open even

So… in 10.00, we get Highmountain Mages - now we could debate them getting warlocks in… probably like in-game lore-wise, 5-15 years from now; most likely we’d need to get a Highmountain Archmage first before we would see any Highmountain Tauren strive so far as to learn arcane magic and then continue further into fel magic, at which point they’d probably create a secret Highmountain society in the old Feltotem caverns

But yah’, to be a warlock you first need to make a good argument for that race to have ambitious mages, and yes, there’s races that currently don’t have access to warlocks that probably should have access to 'em as a direct result of this reasoning
(Btw, I am in favour of this - I just like it when you get more than someone flicking a button and allowing it, I like it when you get stuff like what I described here with a secret Feltotem Caverns Highmountain Society, since they’d still DEFINITELY would’ve killed off almost all or even all of the Feltotem taurens at that point in the lore when/if Highmountain Taurens would be able to be warlocks)

1 Like

I mean… it wouldn’t be the first thing that fell off the radar immediately.

Yes. But the playable Nightbourne, as a faction, exist because they were the ones that turned down a deal with the demons. They’re pretty much like draenei - as a faction, they are defined by their decision not to join the Legion.

But I can still accept a few of them kicking around because they were associated with demons, much like Orcs.

But if they were, they were cease to be Mag’har. By definition. They’d turn green/pink/black and just be a “regular” Orc.

Fair point. But like I said, I only find them odd in contrast to the lack of Highmountain Warlocks.

Untrue. Orcs had Warlocks long before they had Mages. And Highmountain NPCs had Warlocks before they were a playable option.

2 Likes

I know which is why I said we’ll see if they do it but my point was they wouldn’t have said it out loud if it wasn’t in the works.

2 Likes

So how much time is needed exactly? Legion and the feltotem incident occurred in year 32 (dark mirror short story occurred shortly before the Legion demon invasion in year 32):

Shadowlands started in year 35, and Dragonflight starts in year 40 (I'm in favor of the timeskip - #47 by Erudician-1641), already 8 years after the events in Legion.

And seeing as how the entire history of events after the orc invasion of Azeroth to Legion occured in only 32 years. Hell according to the same blue post, BC was in year 26, and Shadowlands was in year 35, so everything BC on occurred in only 9 years.

1 Like

It’s not a hard fact, but the draws to being a DH without Elven physiology according to Illidan is dying in a few years, kinda like being a Founding Titan in AoT, the strain on the body shortens one’s life span considerably.

Several other problems with some races being DH: Orcs and Worgen would go full Demon almost immediately as perfect control is a must or DHs become their Demons in full form and lose their minds, Void Elves would go boom (Fel + Void + Arcane in the same body), etc.

3 Likes

I think “intent” and “in the works” are very different things. They can intend to do something very easily, and take a few easy wins with the low investment combinations. But when it comes time to actually invest legitimate resources into new combinations? For Shamans, Druids, and dare I say Demon Hunters? Intent only gets you so far when you start to get road blocks from the bean counters.

1 Like

Yes and no
They had a different type of a connection but that’s because they weren’t taught summoning magic by how mages learn it, but from demons directly

Mages learn it via applying magical theory, whereas Orcs were literally just in essence told how to do it - when they arrived on Azeroth and some orcs started to learn about different types of magic that’s more in tune with what’s commonly found on Azeroth due to the Leylines, that’s when they started to learn about magic - previously they had for all intent and purposes just been straight up told how to do it

But yes, they had warlocks prior to even knowing about arcane magic

1 Like

Don’t think of it like a number but think of it as an answer to this question:
How long would it have taken for an isolationist society that’s deeply rooted in traditions, family values, and strong factional bonds to develop a natural ambition among scholars

The Bloodtotem turned to fel magic when offered because they were ambitious and power hungry, that probably puts a damper on Highmountain society to strive away from that kind of ambition and look elsewhere for power and the sort
And you also need to have some degree of magical studies involved as to making sure folks are even able to cast these spells, either by being told how to do it (demon or a powerful warlock directly telling you) or by applying magical theory (magical studies typically associated with the arcane when on Azeroth)

I’m saying 5-15 years (in conjunction as to when Highmountain Mages are a thing, slightly earlier than that because they finished their education but not by much, one can probably scrap 2-3 years off of my estimate, but you still need an ambitious mage to rise before that happens which is more problematic due to the Feltotem betrayal) because … there are academies for magic on Azeroth, heck Dalaran hovered around the place during Legion and with Highmountain Taurens joining the Horde if someone wanted to learn about the arcane they could just walk up to a horde mage and ask 'em
So… 5 years because finishing their education, 15 if you want a society to be created and allowing some tauren to become a respectable and well-known/-regarded mage

As others have pointed out, warlorcs have almost always been the outcasts of their societies, very rarely being accepted or well regarded.

And I’d find it very odd for it to take 6 years longer than the entire history of Azeroth post Dark Portal from BC to Shadowlands for that happen (BC was year 26, Shadowlands was year 35, per Blue post linked above)

I highly recommend reading Beyond the Dark Portal, as it shows quite clearly that the idea that learning magic being a trivial thing is… silly (yes, learning about arcane magic takes time, and a lot of time to practice how to use it safely, as not knowing how to do it is EXTREMELY dangerous)
And no, you don’t need to be accepted by a whole society but you still need to have a basis in which why there’d be more than one of something

The extremely odd Highmountain Warlock is entirely possible to do, for it to be a playable race … I’m gonna say there needs to be more than just it being theoretically possible at that point

I never said learning it safely was trivial, I said that learning to use it safely taking longer than the history of Azeroth from BC to Shadowlands is, since Legion ocurred in year 32 (Highmountain & Feltotem), and Dragonflight starts in year 40, one year less than the time between BC and Shadowlands (26 & 35 respectively)

pandas and gnomes!

They’re not just theoretically possible. They exist:

And they weren’t wiped out. As our friend here mentions:

Our corrupted brothers and sisters still wander the wilds.

They exist. They’re still out there. They’re just not playable.

3 Likes

Velf and Nbelf mayhaps

Exactly this, orcs and draenei. From a lore standpoint, it certainly makes sense. Although seeing an orc in demon mode with wings would be…unsettling. I saw somewhere else that Fel Orcs and Eredar would be a good appearance to go with this, complete with bright red skin.

1 Like

Gnomes must be next. Not sure why it’s up for debate

They’re probably not “up” to the challenge.

gnomes and vulpera