More Challenging Solo Content

Should be added to the game IMO.

Everyone assumes that casual players are not looking to get involved in Mythic+ or Raiding (or even players waiting for raid night to roll around) just want to faceroll content. I don’t think that is true.

5 Likes

I’d take another mage tower. T’would be cool.

6 Likes

“The ever-changing chambers of Karazhan”

A content similar to Torghast but available in all expansions from now on located in Karazhan, the mythical tower of Medivh, which is connected to multiple planes and possibly timelines surely containing all kinds of treasures (toys, transmog, etc.) sounds great to me.

Torghast it’s entertaining right now, but I don’t want to have to step a foot in the shadowlands anymore. So why not move the idea to another place where it also makes some sense, and the content can be constantly updated throughout expansions?

The new mage tower thing could also take place in one of the chambers or catacombs of Karazhan.

As far as we know, only the Karazhan base has stable cameras, normally the higher we go up the tower the more it becomes a rabbit hole where things stop making sense and different planes/timelines seem to merge. Why not exploit the idea? and take full advantage of the rabbit hole.

6 Likes

Mage Tower was the best solo content they’ve done. I ended up getting the book mount done a couple months ago and it was great learning the ins and outs of new classes and specs. It’s a great way to get used to healing or tanking if you’ve never done it, and you don’t have to worry about uber nerds screaming at you for making a mistake in a pug. Just wipe and go again.

Im good without it.

Whenever they add challenging solo content, its designed to be a challenge for heroic and mythic raiders who are much more skilled at the game, with much better gear.

I mean torghasts higher levels which had rewards could not be done at all by those who dont do group content as their ilvl required was far higher than the gear we were being given in the game.

Id rather relax and have fun than bash my head against the wall for hours.

2 Likes

Fantastic idea.

My only critique with Torghast has been that it’s a significant time commitment. I’d like to be able to exit it and come back with my session saved at some check point that I can come back to at my leisure.

1 Like

I agree. I would go far to say a “heroic” level world map so I can’t just pull 20 mobs and leave at full hp with 20% shield still.
I don’t mind if people want to live in the safe mode, but i want more. I don’t really want “solo” content either. Just something 2-3 players could feasibly make progress on.

1 Like

Agreed, and I haven’t even looked at the reintroduced mage tower.

I also thought Torghast was kinda fun. Maybe because I didn’t do it every week.

1 Like

frankly Id settle for more solo content that doesnt bore me into quitting for 3 months at a time

1 Like

So a beefed up Torghast, Island Expeditions, Scenarios? I mean I agree with this too but I do believe there’s also a need for solo content that challenges players who want to challenge themselves.

For example: why do Rares have to be such a pushover at end game? Sure have some face roll content out there for players who just want to grind until they get something. But they can also throw some challenging content out into the world or provide a single player with something challenging they can work on.

1 Like

As long as it has decent rewards behind it, sure. But don’t give me another Twisting Corridors that rewards stupid crap you can get elsewhere or just bad rewards.

2 Likes

I want to say no because those were largely unsuccessful. I rather liked torghast myself but many did not

I think all three suffer from a lack of progression. There is nothing different about each run besides tour own power level if you grind it somewhere else, and this defeats the purpose of these locations. Island expeditions are just grinds you’re timed on and were not particularly fun to do. Scenarios were by far the worst as it was set in stone what happened inside, it was just a terrible dungeon.
I guess I just miss open world dungeons and getting a few people together to do Terokk/sky guard dailies (pvp server).
Theres a few places like this in SL with the Sinstone dailies, but they’re neither challenging or rewarding. Torghast and the like should be the answer but they feel underwhelming because they lack progress besides random number goes up, the unlockable mogs weren’t exactly good looking

Some are, some aren’t, but there’s generally a pretty substantial outcry when challenging solo content arrives because a lot of people equate solo and/or casual with easy and expect they’ll be able to complete that stuff regardless of their own skill.

1 Like

Its appearing that DF will follow the SL reward systems in regards to PvE. Play in a group or receive garbage rewards for your time. (exception was Korthia, not a terrible zone rewards wise)

It feels like blizz believes BfA was a failure because it was easy to gear up. Not accepting what people didnt like was the bad systems (azerite gear was terrible) and awful story telling. (as alliance, i personally, loved BfA, i played everyday, i always had something to do on non-raid nights that could give me a chance at an upgrade)

Players like myself that enjoy casual raiding and solo/que-able activities dont have much to do SL. (in regards to improving your toon)

Its looking like DF will be the same. There will be nothing to do solo that will improve my toon and help my DPS on raid nights. I will simply be forced to run M+ (which i hate) in order to supplement my raid gear.

I also dont think blizzard cares that that SL turned me from someone who played everyday into a two day a week raid logger. I do, after all, still pay them a sub and i think that’s all blizz really cares about.

It’s true-ish for me.

I look at difficulty as part of the terrain of the game. There are easy parts to traverse and there are harder parts. It’s just that I’m the sort of person who tends to look at a mountain and plan my route around it rather than the sort of person who looks at a mountain and thinks “I must climb this”.

The nice thing about levels and persistent content is that eventually everything comes into whatever range is comfortable, whether a freestyle climb straight up the cliff or taking a scenic path around the back.

Yeah I might be the minority but I thought horrific visions had the makings of something great. It feels really nice to be able to push myself without social performance pressures or risking anybody else’s time whenever I feel like it (no regular raid times or even an obligation to do M+ every week to prevent key level loss) on my own terms (nobody barking at me to memorize some video guide or MDI route or whatever). I maxed those out despite barely touching M+ or raids in BfA.

Mage tower was cool and I did a number of those too. I wouldn’t mind seeing another one of those but Blizz has a ton of work to do in terms of making the relative challenge level more consistent across specs… I haven’t tried the current versions but back in Legion some specs’ towers almost fell in your lap while others were maddeningly difficult. Ideally they should all be somewhere in the middle so nobody feels left out because their preferred class/spec happens to be the one with insane difficulty.

I think it depends on the type of casual.

The time restricted casuals I’m sure would enjoy it, but with this slime cat nonsense it’s become pretty clear that many “casuals” are just “bads” (as the kids say).

I’d like challenging solo content where I don’t have to tank or heal. I pick dps, give me tank and heal npcs and I will be good to go.

Solo players who are looking for challenge are a different demographic from casuals who aren’t looking for a challenge. You may consider yourself a typical casual, but I think the casuals who are looking for light entertainment are probably greater in number.

And I think all of these are groups that should get meaningful content and rewards.

I think they’ll do mop challenge mode timewalking next.

Not sure what they could do for solo content.