Moo, when are you on your Alliance toon?

Getting ready to buy a server transfer in the next couple of days, and would love to hear your feedback on my tanking before I go. You can also mail it in a letter, if you’d rather do it that way.

I haven’t played with you, so I can only give you some more generic feedback, as a raid leader for my guild.

Pally tanking, particularly in raids, is just far too situational.

To compound that, the gear you need to succeed is parasitic to warrior tanks, particularly in regards to Thunderfury. This hamstrings your effectiveness even further.

My best advice is to finish leveling your meme tank v2, your feral. While their tanking in raids can be situational, they are far more generically useful to a raiding guild because they:

1. have incredible single-target threat
  2. scale incredibly well with world buffs
  3. use arguably the single most busted item in the game, Manual Crowd Pummeler
  4. Have a taunt and AOE taunt
  5. Have really decent AOE threat
  6. can reach absolutely absurd amounts of armor
  7. Melee foam at the mouth to be in the feral group, plus innervate and battle-rez are amazing raid utility

…and most importantly…

1. their gear is not in any way parasitic to warriors.
1 Like

I am familiar with the argument, but a lot of it is either grossly overemphasized, or just plain not true.

Personally, I tank with SoC which means I have Imp Ret Aura. Combined with GBoK Spam, BoSanc, and HS, my AoE threat is just about as good as a Bear’s. With Cons, it would be vastly better. Taking SoC also allows me to scale quite well with gear and world buffs. It’s true I don’t have a taunt, but this is only an issue on SOME tank swap fights (like BWL drakes), and even then, there are videos on YouTube of Tankadins (some of whom I know through the Tankadin theorycrafting discord) Tanking these bosses and killing them.

Yes, Bears can farm MCP, but so can 2h Tankadins.

Most Tanks love having me in their group for AoE trash in particular, as my presence promotes warrs from garbage AoE tanks to decent AoE tanks. On single target or resist fights, Devo and the elemental res auras are your friend.

I’m also another Pally in the raid, without taking up a heal slot.

The ONLY gear I share with warrs are shields, SOME weapons, and offtier tanking plate. Most warrs use a mix of tier gear (which I can’t use, not being a warr), and physical DPS pieces (assuming Fury/Prot).While it’s true that I could benefit from physical DPS plate, some Fury/Prots also use leather or mail in some slots. Are Rogues and Hunters parasiting gear from them? What about those Bears you love to hold as paragons of non-warr tanking? Personally, I would prefer spelldmg plate over DPS plate, as my threat scales much better with it. I’ve also seen some guilds put Legplates of the Fallen Crusafer as warr prio. Would you claim that they are parasiting gear from me?

The point is, it’s not nearly as clear cut as you and others on this server would have me believe. In any event, once the last of my auctions clear out, I will be buying a transfer to a server where there is a guild waiting to invite me who actually WANTS me to tank for them. In either event, it was good to brotect the people, but I’m not gonna be doing 5-mans and an occasional ZG forever when there’s another guild on another server that would welcome me as a Tankadin, and with open arms at that.

Geofram did you really make thread asking for my alliance toons name and then make another thread talking to me? Like, just bump your old thread. Sorry I’ve been busy and haven’t been able to message you. I’ll send you an in game mail. You may have even transferred already. I have no idea.

Edit: Ok you are out of my friends list so you transferred. That’s fine. If you have an alt on Earthfury just put the name in here. Or if you don’t just make a horde (since you can now) and whisper me on Mootwo and I’ll talk to you about it.

Yeah, I already replied to my other thread, so I couldn’t bump it. I also asked you for your name in the other thread and you didn’t give it to me. I thought you just missed it. In any event, I apologize for the spam.

Yes, I do have an alt here. His name is Manathan, and he’s a Bear. I’m on him from time to time, so feel free to add him. Or, you can just give me the name of your Alliance toon so I don’t have to make a third thread pestering you about it! =P

I’ll send you a message. I’m trying to keep my alliance info sort of on the down low for now. Nothing personal.

1. I’d argue we have the best threat in-game with an MCP in use. That’s even over a TF/dagger Fury/Prot. The only time a Prot Paladin would eclipse this is AoE situations, but that’s a bit too niche in raiding.

2. Yeah, world buffs are plain OP and make feral tanks even better. I could double and triple our two warrior tanks’ threat (without MCP) tonight before losing my world buffs to some Twins trash. Paladin tanks cannot do that. They take too much time to gain the threat needed and have no means of getting that threat back when it’s lost.

3. As Geofram stated a Paladin can use a MCP, but that Paladin will not get equal benefit to that which a Feral will have for it. Geofram is missing the fact that if his threat is surpassed he will have to have everyone stop DPSing and use every threat reducing ability available to get many bosses back. That is time wasted for most guilds and will cost healer mana. In a perfect world he’d establish threat early and have no issues, but having raided throughout WoW’s history rarely is that perfect raid found.

4. See prior comment, but a Paladin just doesn’t have a lot once threat is lost. Warriors have a bit more than Druids making them slightly better in that on many fights along with their cooldowns, defensive cap, etc.

5. This is where Paladin tanks excel, but in raids are you going to bring a Paladin as a main tank just for that? We’ve had a Paladin tank Onyxia after she comes back down, but in most other situations when he’s tried to tank his threat just wasn’t enough. And with AoE hitting unlimited targets most packs of mobs die so fast the threat is irrelevant.

6. With the fact Paladins and Druids can neither hit defense cap this seems like a big deal, but a Druid sacrifices a lot of threat by going full “potato” to get that armor cap. And the only current fight I can see having that armor cap set is maybe Twin Emperors, but even there you want north of 10k HP to handle the Unbalancing Strikes. Although I’d say 9k or maybe 8k with good heals is fine. If you’re strictly comparing Paladin to Druid it is clear cut on that point, but when main tanking it goes back to that threat issue Blizzard didn’t even try to fix in Vanilla.

7. Feral tank utility is vastly superior to Protection Paladin utility. I think a Ret Paladin has more utility than a Protection Paladin, but that’s personal opinion. Our Ret is awesome and will toss on full healing set when needed or even respec when short heals or when requested. I think for any Paladin wanting to tank in Vanilla they will be a healer first in most any guild. Blizzard pigeon holed Paladins harder than Druids in hindsight. A Feral will probably have a more threat/dps oriented build skipping talents like Thick Hide and Primal Fury in favor of Feral Aggression and Blood Frenzy since we can pop cat when not tanking and pull dps that on some fights tops everyone, but warriors and rogues. Add battle rez, innervate, and the ability to tank the boss if a tank dies and it’s hard for a guild to justify taking a Prot Paladin over a Feral Tank.

The current Feral tank meta is high threat. I am grabbing the AQ40 potato pieces like Guise of the Devour, Thick Qirajihde Belt, and Gloves of the Hidden Temple, but if you go check any Feral tank’s wishlist we also want Belt of Never-ending Agony, Gloves of Enforcement, Mantle of Wicked Revenge, Qiraji Execution Bracers, Cloak of the Fallen God, etc. And on most fights I’d wear the BofNeA, BofE, MofWR, QEB, CoftFG, etc over the potato pieces. I can pop Greater Stoneshield Pots and be fine on armor. So yeah, I’d argue the current meta for Feral means overall higher threat on most fights for a bear over a Paladin.

Reality is the Off Tank role in most guild is up for either a Fury Warrior or a Feral Druid. Just go look at tank parses for AQ40 over the past 2 weeks.

869,961 - Tank Warrior
172,801 - Tank Druid
2,270 - Tank Paladin

There are 76 times more druid tank than paladin tank parses. Paladin tanks are unicorns even now. It’s fairly cut and dry for most guilds and as stated a druid doesn’t take plate gear. A druid frees up a tier spot in Naxx that would otherwise mean probably eight warriors need tier sets for Four Horsemen. Honestly, I’d love to see more paladin tanks in Classic, but Blizzard never addressed the taunt issue. And there’s not a lot of workaround for the issues paladin tanks have in Classic unlike a feral tank. We’ve learned that defense cap isn’t the end all of tanking. I mean look at all the fury/prot warriors tanking without a shield!

I do hope you find a guild willing to let you tank in raids, but just know everything says that’s going to be difficult to find and require patience from all involved. And if it doesn’t work out you’ll definitely find a home in BC. Good luck!

All good, Moo. Being that I’ve had someone tell my alt “Screw you” in tells (not their exact words, but I don’t want to trigger the filter), I can understand why you might want to keep your alt’s name hidden.

In any event, I’ll wait patiently to hear from you. Also, how did you level an Alliance toon so quickly here? I can’t imagine you bought boosts, so I’m going to guess that you just have an efficient route for questing. Care to share?