Monster Hunter World

Has anyone played this? Is it any good? I’ve played previous Monster Hunter titles in the past, even the original on PS2 (yes I am that old lol) so im familiar with the game mechanics. I’m just looking for a filler game until DF drops.

It’s pretty good. While it’s thematically very similar to its predecessors, it’s fair to say it’s quite a departure from them.

What do I mean by that? Firstly, there’s no “tracking” at all outside of a few story events. You know where the monsters are at all times, whether you like it or not (neither Psychic nor paint balls exist). Plus you can see when they’re weakened rather than hoping to spot it limping, so there’s very little risk of accidentally killing a monster in a capture mission or failing to capture it because you were too early.

The combat also has a different flow to it. It’s not really the “turn based” style combat it had before, where it always seemed to go from a monster attack into your attack and repeat. You have to find openings during attacks - especially in Master rank - which can be frustrating if you’re thousands of hours trained in the earlier games. The resulting combat does feel more organic, though, and it can be very satisfying at times just as it can be annoying.

Other than that, though, it’s really just more Monster Hunter - for better or worse. You’ll find the newer monsters silly until you move to the next title, and you’ll lament the number of earlier monsters which are missing. But the ones that are there are faithfully implemented while still feeling, at least in part, like fresh versions of themselves. Which, sadly, includes both Kirin and Barioth.

2 Likes

I like monster hunter rise because of the flies that give you lots of mobility.