Monk or Hunter?

I can’t decide if I want to level up a Survival Hunter or a Wind Walker Monk. I am wanting something multi-proposal for pvp and pve content. I also hear that WW monks are hard is this true? Keep in mind I play a warrior

Monk! They are a super fun class.

I never found WW to be particularly hard. You can’t just roll your face across the keyboard, but the difficulty of the spec is really over-hyped.

1 Like

Both are great DPS wise, though survival is slated to be nerfed come S4. How significant this nerf will be, don’t know yet. WW is meta right alongside it and is just as broken DPS-wise, but nerf not confirmed as far as I know.
Survival is easier, and great in PvP, though hunters are squishier than monks (one of the squishiest classes outright). Both have really good mobility but few classes can beat monk in that category.

Surv is getting some nerfs for season 4… if that matters to you.

how much are they being nerfed?

Unless I’ve missed an update, all we were given is an ominous “survival will be looked at” after they postponed the destro nerfs.

1 Like

Well stated!

SurvivaL… doesn’t really function properly, hasn’t for awhile. Reading the abilities doesn’t tell you how to play the spec much at all and if fact will lead you to playing it wrong. WW Monk is actually quite easy, but you just need to be able to keep track of the buttons you press, something I have found many people seem incapable, of.

Survival is only really punishing if you dump all of your bombs (not counting carve CDR blah blah). Honestly, as long as you know how to fish for procs your damage will be good. Good by s3 survival hunter standards? Probably not. Good compared to your +20 key PuGmates? Totally.

I don’t forsee survival being irreparably gutted come S4. Will it still be meta? No clue. I’ve got MM on deck, worst-case scenario.

Edit: The bombs and what spells they pair with are color coordinated :partying_face:

At least wait until the DF monk talents preview comes out

That’s also something to consider.
Survival’s DF tree is certainly… a tree.

If you look at survival you will think that the best course of action is to spend energy and, based on how wow normally plays, always be casting. But in both BFA and SL you actually want/ed to be energy capped for the most part, something that is very unintuitive. Also with the tier set it’s such an rngfiasco that it’s actually laughable.

The RNG is also something to consider, sometimes you’re riding the proc wave pull after pull, other times it’s just frustrating.
There’s some remnant of intended synergy between bombs and focus levels, going into red bomb on low focus since KC (its pair, I guess I could call it) is a generator, while you want to go into blue bomb with high focus to dump into RS/Carve. With tier-set, you can kind of ignore this since the best-case scenario is to ride a substantial proc wave, where the goal is to fire infinite buffed bombs.

edit: I’m tired and fumbled the wording of what I wanted to actually say.
Survival in its current state is both easy to oversimplify (and suboptimal survival will still perform relatively well, hence why it’s pretty broken) but it’s also a bit overwhelming, since the core of survival is kind of… responding to RNG?

WW monks are situationally hard. Being a true minmax player on WW can be difficult, but you can also flex into healer/DPS if you want something else.

Hunters on the other hand are just always viable and good. Relatively simple to pick up too.

how are ww hard?

Managing Crane stacks, controlling images & Xuen, properly utilizing mobility + things like ROP. Stat priorities can change per player playstyle, so if you’re a high mastery player you need to be more intuitive towards playing towards your mastery, whereas a haste/crit player can be more freelance.

Using your tier set for proper CD bursting can be annoying, let alone tedious. Fishing for SCK procs is always annoying. Necro playstyle is extermely boring and extremely painful.

And if you PVP, then prepare the lube.