Monk or Demon Hunter? Help me decide!

Playing a DH kinda feels like you’re cheating with all the double jumping and gliding around.

It starts to feel a little gimmicky though.

I’d pick monk. Pulling a big pack of mobs and using fists of fury to grind them down is incredibly satisfying.

At they end of the day pick the one you enjoy playing the most. If you like both play styles equally, think about aesthetics and class fantasy too.

These two classes seem to be my main go-tos anymore. If you want simplicity with some nice quality of life features at the expense of being able to do amazing things with a deeper understanding and more skill with the class go with DH. If you want something more complex to play but can do some amazing stuff when you get a better understanding and more skilled at the class go Monk.

Not saying that to put down DH. Simplicity is nice a lot of the time. It’s fun to play without having too much complexity when you’re in the mood for that. Probably the closest I can think of to an old school rotation class, almost the same no matter what you’re fighting or how many. But when I’m feeling like I want to play something more involved or I’m bored of the DH I tend to bust out on of my monks. Monks are fun and they have a lot of ways to ramp up their damage with cooldowns (while DH tend to be at a constant level outside of their one big cooldown).

Honestly, I’d say try both. DH will be the easiest to get into but there’s a chance you might find it a bit shallow and repetitive. Monks takes a bit longer to get the hang of but it might be more interesting in the long run. I like them both.

This is a huge part of the topic for me. Monk fantasy feels like something I prefer, but the visuals of it are rather underwhelming. I’ve always hoped I would just learn to like it, but it sometimes does feel like they don’t get to stand out much in comparison to the other melee classes.

2 Likes

I personally find monk very clunky and slow. I like to kill stuff quickly, and not have to grind it down. Demon Hunter feel much faster, and far more mobile for me.

Different play styles, for different people.

100% agree monks need an animation update… thematically monks are able to break bones and kill with their bare hands but the animations feel super floaty and not impactful… i would like them to be more brutal and look like you are actually hitting hard, and touch of death could have some cool pressure point hitting animation… like Mahomed Ali said you need to “float like a butterfly but sting like a bee”… so more impact on hits and more style to maneuvers and dodging… kind of how they did hit wise with warriors in legion, they started to feel like brutal fighter rather than just a person swinging a weapon.

i like monk (i only heal on her this days tho) i get that monk use punchs and kicks , but i still miss the jab animation , having 2 weapons on my back that i NEVER use ugh…

animation wise monk is a bit outdated

DH is fast , fun and has cool animations …blade dance is on of my fav skills (killing spree is better but long CD )