Monitor loses signal at specific spots in World of Warcraft Retail

Hello,

I have been getting this issue for a while now. My monitor goes blank, it says “No signal”, but my PC still runs. The only way I can get back on is to force shut down my PC and turn it back on. It happens during specific spots in WoW, for example during the Il’gynoth fight in The Emerald Nightmare, when I stand close to the eye it forces my monitor to lose signal. I don’t know what this is connected to, I have tried all kinds of fixes, as well as contacting AMD for troubleshooting and I’ve done everything they asked me to.

Things I have tried:

• updated my BIOS
  • updated my GPU drivers
  • updated my Windows
  • did many clean reinstalls of AMD drivers
  • updated my CPU chipset
  • changed PSU
  • changed monitor
  • changed the game to different DirectX (12 or 11)
  • lowered graphics
  • capped my FPS to 60
  • checked my GPU temperature, it does not overheat, solid 60°C, maximum 70°C when I do mythic+ or raids.

My specs are:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
  • 32 GB of RAM
  • Windows 11
  • Radeon RX 580 Series
  • ASRock B450m Pro4 Motherboard

Please help me, I’m so exhausted. I have tried everything and it’s so frustrating to be playing the game because it feels like I’m walking on egg shells and it can go blank at any given moment, be it me flying in old classic zones, idling in Stormwind or doing m+ keys.

Thanks in advance.

Most likely, the problem is with the GPU - either the GPU itself, or something affecting the GPU directly (power issues, heat, etc). Especially since you already tried a different monitor. I mean, you could try a different HDMI/DisplayPort cable, but I wouldn’t hold my breath very deeply on it solving the issue. Outside chance, sure, but pretty small.

Did you swap in a PSU with a higher power rating? Was it at least 80+ Gold rated? Transient spikes are always a possibility.

If you’re comfortable in doing so, or know someone who is, remove the GPU and reseat it in the slot. Check and make sure the power cables are securely connected. Blow the dust out of it. If your card requires two power connectors, and you’re using a splitter off of one plug to turn it into two, see if you can get two dedicated power cables to your GPU. Failing all of that, if you have access to a different GPU that you could try, that would be my recommendation.

1 Like

Thanks for so many useful advices, I will go through them and let you know how it went.

Make sure you aren’t running any overclocking profiles (lots of PCs come packaged with bloatware that can have “game mode optimizer” stuff in that will autoload profiles). Make sure you aren’t automatically loading profiles with Afterburner, if installed. If you have the AMD adrenaline software installed(not sure if the RX 580s use it or not), make sure the tuning page is set to default for both the global profile and the wow.exe profile.

Though I at least know that on the RX 6000 series and up, they can autorecover from a driver crash or bad tuning crash, probably 90% of the time, without having to reboot the machine, I can’t say for sure if the 500s can do the same.

The fact that it’s crashing at exact spots means it’s likely a driver and/or tuning issue, and probably not a PSU issue. Have you tried unplugging and replugging the monitor back in when it does that? Like unplug the HDMI/DP cord, wait 5-10 seconds, then reconnect it. I know AMD GPUs can be really annoying with monitors not reconnecting sometimes and a driver crash can trigger that. You can also try the CTRL+SHIFT+START+B to see if a reboot of the drivers fixes it or not (yes, all four keys at the same time)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.