Monaural hearing

I was born deaf in one ear, so for most of my life I have to change settings to mono, or I’d miss out on a ton of directional sounds. I’m running windows 10 Pro, and under its settings, I have Mono selected where it’s supposed to combine both right and left channels. I have also played with the sound balance, sliding it all the way to the left, as I have no hearing in my right hear.

But in the game, and this is both disorienting, and frustrating, I suddenly pick up full audio of sound effects that I didn’t hear before from players, NPCs, and objects such as waterfalls, fires, pretty much any sound effect. I essentially can only hear certain sounds on the left hemisphere of my camera direction to an exact half sphere. The moment my camera pans further than that, objects that are making sounds, such as water, fire, players, NPCs, etc, go completely mute. I’ve turned on distance filtering, but it only seems to muffle the issue.

Is there a way to combine all audio so that I am able to hear sounds coming from every direction?

Also, I remember waaaaaay back playing other ancient PC games like Tomb Raider 2, there were sound options to be able to switch POV for all sound effects from camera to player. Does wow have something like this?

2 Likes

Hi…there are sound issues with windows 10 latest patch that cause this

Help! I am in the same position. How do we fix this?

Can confirm. I had to reinstall windows 10 for an unrelated issue. Except this time I went straight to my motherboard’s website for the realtek driver downloads. It was a completely different version that also came with DTS. I again changed the Windows 10 setting to mono, but I also chose the settings Games and Traditional under DTS. I’m astounded. I had no idea wow was supposed to sound like this because for so long I’ve been used to sounds cutting in and out constantly depending on where I was facing. Now no matter where I turn, I can still hear things that are creating sound.