Modifiers clarification? Update:

Hello all,

I wanted to update an old post as I’ve seen it has 1.5k Views… (Way more than I intended, and the information is convoluted at best.)

I’m a returning player and I’ve been running my spells without the use of any modifier keys, each key I press casts 1 and only 1 action as per ToU.

I wanted to query and clarify Modifier keys are acceptable?

Example Keybinds:
Non-Mod: Numlock 1 = Charge.
Modifier Use: Shift + Numlock 1 = Charge?

As seen above, the Shift modifier key is used in the second example,
I’m assuming this is completely acceptable and within the ToU?

Note, this is in reference to key bindings & not macro use I understand macro use as per design allows multiple actions to be performed based on additional conditions by a single key press such as Spell Reflect + Charge as an example.

However I’m currently running out of keys without using modifiers and it’s just occurred to me this is likely why Modifier keys were brought into the game.

I ask this in hopes someone can clarify “Yes you can use modifiers, such as shift + 1 to bind spells e.g. Example 2, so you don’t run out of keys on your keyboard” and to rectify uncertainties generated by the below post.

Thankyou.

Old post that this relates to can be found here.
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-player-clarification-on-macro-please-help/167143

Yes you can use modifiers. Here’s an extensive list of macros that do:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/macros-condensing-your-physical-keys/678238

This particular example however will not work but that’s because SHIFT modifies which key Windows interprets when combined with Num keys and not because of anything related to the game itself.

2 Likes

If you’re just talking about going into keybindings and setting the extra action bar keybinds to stuff like Shift-1, Shift-2, ect., that’s perfectly fine.

Also, in game macros that make use of modifier keys are perfectly fine.

The problem area that comes in (and was debated in the thread you linked) is when you program a button on your keyboard/mouse to send Shift-1 with one keypress. (So, if you reprogram your mouse so that when you hit mousebutton 5 it sends out “Shift-1.” That’s the case being discussed in that thread.)

3 Likes

Ah, Terrible example on my part, Thank you.

I should have stuck with
Number key 1
Shift + Number key 1.

Thank you once again for both of your responses both past and present Elvenbane. Additionally thankyou for your example Udiza, this clears up my misunderstanding perfectly.

2 Likes