Model toggles for LFD

Hello! I’m making this post to propose a model toggle for LFD. For those that do not know model toggles, it’s like sub races, but baised on the same faction (as in those models are races that outright joined the faction rather then being a race of a deviant of the former race like ironforge akin to wildhammers)

I’m suggesting there should be customizable models for LFD with races that would join it’s ranks, they will all have shared racials as the original LFD

Humans
Half elves (or high elves, but preferably half elves)
Dwarves
Orcs (via an unlock like the night warriors)
and maybe gnomes

They all should have seperate hair/skin/eye options then the original races themselves (like gnomes should have full head of hair on the males for example :P)

What do you think?

(Depending on how this topic goes I may make a forsaken variant)

2 Likes

You already are a sub race. And LFD is Lightforged Draenei.

7 Likes

the lightforged is an AR, and should remain so.

And yes, this is a serious request.

I have been going with that idea for a long while; since nov 2019 in fact!

So it isn’t bad enough that Void Elves uniqueness is being ruined by the High Elf customizations, now you want ruin Light Forged Draenei’s uniqueness as well?

No.

2 Likes

What makes LFD unique is the military complex of using the light as a weapon, not as the race itself.

Otherwise lfd is just more holier dreanei.

2 Likes

There is fair reasoning for this.

The Army of the Light are supposed to be pulled from many races that opposed the Legion, not just Draenei.

I wouldn’t mind it.

4 Likes

Giving Orcs to the Alliance might be a bit much for some.

Pretty much, also one could argue if alleria/turalyon survived and joined the army, others could had too. It won’t be too much of a stretch on lore for it.

Might be, it could survive without too.

Also forsaken could be given a fair trade with nathanos like forsaken (or calia like if that is your preference)

2 Likes

Thats also assuming that the LFD isn’t recruiting right now. Which they fairly seem to be given you see them talking with other Draenei near the embassy and on their ship.

the Alliance is awash with many fervent followers of the Light. Many would be drawn.

Despite there being some call lorewise for Horde races to also potentially be added to this I’d keep it Alliance only races for keeping folk generally happy.

Its not much of a stretch to say that recruitment of Horde races would be low anyways.

2 Likes

Was thinking more in line of a visit of a certain timeline of a certain world :wink:

2 Likes

Oh I figured. :stuck_out_tongue:

Though I think thats gonna be a bigger story beat than adding it to an existing race.

I’d bet they’ll get their own AR slot if they are a thing at all for that.

2 Likes

possible. though an unlock quest would be cool though. like night warrior eyes.

3 Likes

When mag’har were announced, I thought Blizzard was going to display some original thought and give them to the Alliance as a surprise twist. (Makes sense. Light-following zealot orcs would join the Alliance upon seeing the Lightforged perfection that are LFD)

Furthering that twist, I thought maybe the Dark Iron would go to Horde to subvert expectations and make for interesting story telling. (Dark Iron has a really cool dark side to them that reminded me of the original Blood Elves, so it wouldn’t be much of a stretch)

…alas, no. Blizzard went for the most obvious route…

One day, the faction divide will go away and we’ll be free to do what we like…

3 Likes

except play as orc paladins :stuck_out_tongue: which could only happen if the lightbound was to be playable somehow.

its like saying i want this draenei full of tattoos no thanks.

that is all lfd has currently, tat’s. They can use some more flavor then holier dreanei.

That’s what I like about your LFD thought experiment; making paladin available to undead and orcs.

The idea is interesting enough.

Humans, High Elves and Dwarves are definitely plausible as they could originate from the original Alliance expedition into Outland who went along with Alleria and Turalyon and eventually Lightforged. This would definitely make up for the lack of racial diversity shown amongst the Army of the Light.

Half Elves are more tricky, but it’s also possible there were Human/High Elf couples which potentially offer a higher population of Half Elves amongst the Army.

Lightbound Orcs are also tricky as they originate from an alternate timeline, but the AU Lightbound could possibly show up in a Light/Void based expansion?

There’s a call for model toggles for other races, so this would be an interesting twist on the idea.

1 Like

No MMO dev would ever do this, least of all Blizzard.

[intense, agonized groaning]

Absolutely not. Every post I see calling for the Alliance getting holy orcs, holy undead, Steamwheedle goblins, or some other bootleg of an existing Horde race just fills me with disgust.

An entire two models being given out as a quest reward is not comparable to night elves getting a new eye color.

First of all, I am surprised that not a single person has come here to accuse you of ruining the identity of Lightforged Draenei and encroaching on Blood Elf themes.

Perhaps times are changing.

In any case, your suggestion is interesting, Great, but highly unlikely in my opinion for several reasons. Mainly because they’re Lightforged Draenei, not just “Lightforged”. It wouldn’t make absolute sense to see a Human, an Elf or much less an Orc going around Stormwind being treated as a Draenei. Sure, optional racial nametags could solve that, but you’d still have Draenei emotes. I don’t think it’s likely that Blizzard hires voice actors to introduce subraces for LFD.

And you also have the recruitment scenario, which is exclusively focused on Draenei.

In order for this to make sense, Blizzard should have to introduce a lot of changes, basically they’d have to redesign the race entirely. And personally I don’t see them doing it.

But I’m not going to be one against model toggles, though. I support your endeavour, sincerely wish you good luck. :slight_smile: