Mobile WoW w/ consoleport, moonlight

It can be done!
I am happy to report that I have succeeded in streaming WoW (BfA) from a desktop at home to my iPhone 7 plus. I was able to play using a game controller which is connected via bluetooth to my iPhone.

I am using Moonlight on my phone, GeForce Experience on my computer, a VPN setup on my Netgear R7000 router, and a Steelseries Nimbus controller. I had several connectivity hurdles to overcome: VPN, router firmware, geforce drivers, port forwarding, windows firewall, UI setup, and controller recognition in WoW.

I plan to post about significant milestones here. I am doing this because:
1. I have no time to sit down in front of a PC and mobile gaming has become my only truly achievable style of gaming.
2. Our only PC is in a media closet and I cannot physically use it to play anything.
3. Using a controller creates a gaming feel that reminds me of when I first started playing WoW in Vanilla...it is FUN again!
4. I can play wherever I want if the internet or cell signal is decent, without needing to buy a new laptop. Just pack the controller with me. Airport, vacation, hotel, at home in any room.

I would love some feedback on what folks think, although I feel like the standard comments about “controllers suck” have already been addressed.
You have, what, six buttons if you aren't going to strafe?

You're likely at least doubling and maybe tripling your effective lag.

Yes. It's possible. I can probably put tap shoes on the neighbor's goat as well, but that isn't going to make it dance.

That said, if all you plan to do is raid the auction house and manage a guild, you're probably good to go.

Good luck actually playing at any level other than wandering around in zones far below your expected level, though.
10/31/2018 12:09 PMPosted by Nallim
10/30/2018 02:16 PMPosted by Ehiztari
You have, what, six buttons if you aren't going to strafe?

You're likely at least doubling and maybe tripling your effective lag.

Yes. It's possible. I can probably put tap shoes on the neighbor's goat as well, but that isn't going to make it dance.

That said, if all you plan to do is raid the auction house and manage a guild, you're probably good to go.

Good luck actually playing at any level other than wandering around in zones far below your expected level, though.

This person has never heard of console port and is a big dummy.
This person has taken to violating the code of conduct by making a personal attack on a poster for having a conflicting opinion.

Sonny, I've been fiddling around with computer games since the original Pong.

Watch your mouth.

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be or that it's going to work as well as how the product was designed to be used.

I never said otherwise.

When you're able to raid lead current content on a console with that rig, come back and start calling me names and implying that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Until then, mind your manners and follow the rules here.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/#harassment
OK, thanks for the feedback there Mr. Pong! (good game reference btw)

I really don’t want this to be a flame war, and I appreciate the technical feedback, although I haven’t experienced the effective lag you mentioned. Strafing is inherent with two joysticks, I think. It mimics the standard WASD + mouse pretty closely to what I was used to. That being said, I already mentioned WHY I am doing this...and it doesn’t involve my neighbor’s goat...YET. I don’t care if I can raid or do PVP at the highest level, but I can vouch for a great gaming feel, a truly mobile port for WoW, AND a surprisingly agile response time for my control inputs. Because of the triggers, arrow buttons, R1/R2 buttons, and AXYB buttons, I have 30 easily accessible buttons. If I utilize the two simultaneous triggers, I get 10 more buttons I can push.

But, Mr. Ehiztari, you did bring up a great conversation point and I can tell that you, like me, have been avidly playing video games for a while! There is likely a measurable difference in the milliseconds that it takes for me to trigger those button combos versus the time that it takes me to strike the keys on a keyboard. I think it would be premature for me to say that I could ever be as quick as a “standard” player, but I am getting quick with strafing, spells, and combat abilities. Interacting with the world (right mouse generally) is MUCH tougher with a controller so far, but also generally not required for combat, movement, or instances.

I am having a devil of a time using the controller with the auction house, but I’m also new to ControlPort.
—continued—
—continued—
The important gist of this thread is intended to be the overall UI, hardware, and software setup required for truly mobile WoW gameplay. And, please remember that, although it might seem like apostasy for a MMO player to use a controller, this is the only way I can play WoW without a major purchase. There are bound to be other people who would greatly benefit from my journey so far, so I will continue to chronicle about it here.

I actually appreciate the technical feedback from Ehiztari, and I respectfully challenge the statement about effective lag. He might be right, but I could see someone successfully using ConsolePort for 5 man instances and raiding, with the possible detriment of slightly less efficient action qeueing. That’s hypothetical, and probably NOT viable for top realm raiding guilds...but, I’m never going to have that kind of time in my life ever again. I am resigned to more casual gameplay, and right now I am having a blast playing WoW on my iPhone.

Stay tuned for more developments, and please pipe in with questions or opinions. No need for ad hominem attacks here, and informed responses are appreciated.
First video of simple gameplay. This was my first day to play with ConsolePort, so I expect there will be significant updates to both UI and my skill with a controller.
https://youtu.be/--QXfQA7vcc
So begins an epic, fun, and quite new adventure for me in WoW.
edit: please note that I recorded this from my iphone which was not at home, but rather playing on low settings with 2 bars of LTE
If you're just using some software to remotely control an unmodified copy of wow running "normally" on a pc, you probably won't get a cease and desist letter from Blizz legal. The setup doesn't sound much different then what multiboxers use. Not actually a port but remote access.

If you have modified the game code or using software to change in memory objects, Blizz legal will eat you for lunch. Companies must defend their intellectual property against all abusers equally or they lose the rights to it.
11/01/2018 04:56 AMPosted by Tinkerizmo
If you're just using some software to remotely control an unmodified copy of wow running "normally" on a pc, you probably won't get a cease and desist letter from Blizz legal. The setup doesn't sound much different then what multiboxers use. Not actually a port but remote access.

If you have modified the game code or using software to change in memory objects, Blizz legal will eat you for lunch. Companies must defend their intellectual property against all abusers equally or they lose the rights to it.

Correct, this is not modifying any game code or violating TOS. It streams from my PC and I use my phone to provide the control inputs. Instead of a keyboard and mouse, I use an MFI controller.
Quick update:
Consoleport through VPN worked GREAT on a 2 bar LTE signal while we were on vacation this weekend! Got my new shaman to level 10. I had to use Splashtop to type in the auction house, though, so I need to find a way to call up the consoleport keyboard.
Cheers!
Quick update:
I hit level 28 with my shaman tonight using ConsolePort on my iPhone through Moonlight and Nvidia Geforce Experience streaming. A ton of fun!
I also successfully healed 4 instances, including BFD.
A couple quality of life lessons I have learned:
1. The built-in party/raid selection feature is essential to healing any group. I opted for L1 (top button) as my press-and-hold button for party member selection. This takes some getting used to.
2. AutoGear addon is fantastic for gearing up during the leveling grind. I got from lvl 10 all the way to lvl 25 before I realized that I hadn’t equipped any new gear. This addon keeps me current with zero time or thought required.
3. I enabled permanent cursor. This is very important.
4. WowPro is a very good leveling addon, available for free thru Twitch.

Hey do you have a guide that you recommend to get things setup with moonlight and wow ?

I actually am intrigued by this, and am looking into doing something with it. Because there are more times I would be away from my PC, and would love to be able to get into WoW.

For me, it is more of an interesting setup, as I don’t use Windows or Mac. I play WoW through Wine on my Ubuntu box. And I have since the vanilla beta (so haters can suck it, honestly - I know that back in the day, there were several Blizz employees with a similar setup). To get it working through Moonlight/Sunshine, I don’t necessarily need to stream it to my phone, I would love a way to log in through a web interface, so looking into that option too. Will be a fun exercise to do.