MMR inflation is back?

ty blizzard

2 Likes

This season needs an initial bump.

1 Like

Like a speed bump to slow you all down? Got it, mmr hard capped at 1800 for 4 weeks.

All I read was “Business as usual”

Can people post what ending mmr they were and what starting mmr they are?

1 Like

I’m about 100 MMR or so under where I was. I would say my MMR hardly changed.

1 Like

What were you before? And what now? My sp was2009 I think and game 1 was 2009

1 Like

Can’t give an exact number because I don’t have the addon that shows past arena games.

This isn’t inflation BTW. This is just how MMR is supposed to work. MMR is a predictive value on probability of a win, 3000mmr players are just expected to crush, artificially lowering that to create a sense of "progress’ is deflation and not how MMR is even supposed to work.

1 Like

you make a habit of describing the mechanics of a system as though they equal the goals of that system

I think it is inflation because people are starting at higher MMR. Like if I start at 2100 MMR, I have more MMR to give.

I didn’t lose any mmr at all with the season starting

But you are at 2,100 because you are expected to win vs. sub 2100. That does make the rating average higher in the end, but only in the sense that it more closely reflects reality, IE. you still have to win a lot more to get to 4k.

The purpose of this system is to reward players accurately for their skill level. Not resting MMR does that better then resting MMR.

This isn’t really accurate. While not resetting MMR is nice right now, the ultimate result is people are gonna have a lot of fun this season, get Gladiator, think they’re doing really really well, and then when TWW drops they’re going to be stuck at 1800 again much like all the Sinful Gladiator mounts you see in that bracket.

They’re going to get frustrated. They’re going to get vocal. And they’re going to take it out on other players and spam the forums with more MMR threads.

High MMR seasons are great as long as people understand that going in, but many do not.

Yes, but that means inflation because it means less rating pushing needed to get rewards. Since rewards are static, we benefit from inflation and there’s no reason to hit 4k since r1 is % based. If all rewards were % based then inflation wouldn’t matter as much.

No the issue is inconstancy. It’s widely unpredictable how blizzard will deal with the season. This season is going to be higher then S4 SL most likely because they removed less MMR on roll over. That should be the norm, they shouldnt reset mmr at all between seasons.

How blizzard deals with roll over MMR I think is a bigger impact on average rating then any other factor.

This is literally what most of my post said. Did you even read or did you just home in on one thing and set your phaser to fun?

We have the same premise, but different conclusions.

I have a premise for ya, and I wanna see if we reach the same conclusion.

Why did you get the Gladiator achievement in the Unchained season, but you don’t have the Gladiator: Shadowlands Season 2 feat of strength or the Unchained Gladiator’s Soul Eater in your mount collection?

Because I played with someone who exploited the whole way. They got permabanned and I got revoked.