Mining problems

Hello I am new to this expansion, have not played for roughly a decade. I am trying to get mining but after mining some stones, my skill level is frozen on 1 and is not increasing, why is that?

They’ve broken up professions by expansion, so you no longer have to level through Vanilla, then BC, ect.

It can make it a bit weird interface wise, especially for gathering. Each expansion’s crafting will start at skill 1 now. When you open the main professions screen, it will show you the progress for the most recent expansion you have learned. To see the others you’ll need to open the actual profession window. For Mining, it’s the “Mining Skills” button. Once it’s open, go to the filter menu and pick the expansion you are trying to level. It should show a progress bar on the top of the window with your level for that expansion.

(Also, make sure you’ve actually learned mining for the expansion you are leveling in. I’ve learned the “Vanilla” version in the main city and then forgotten to grab the Ouland version and then ran around Outland gathering without the ability to level up.)

As Udiza said, its now broken up by expansion. If you are planning on doing an expansions story and are going to stay in those zones, you can hit the profession trainer in that starting area and train to earn that expansions skill points. There is at least one expansion when you will auto learn that expansions mining when you mine and dont need to see a trainer at all.

If I recall, you can train classic, TBC, WotLK and Cataclysm all from your factions capital city and then from Mists on you have to get it in those expansions zones.

Thank you so much.