Minimum Character Name Size Issue (Interface Options Issue)

I was messing around in the Interface options on Beta and accidentally made my Player and NPC name sizes larger through the “Minimum Character Name Size” option. The value is default to 0, but you can change it on a slider. I learned that when you move it off 0, it will NOT actually go back to that setting of 0 again if you move it back (i.e. I set it to 3 the names got bigger, but even at 0 it did not go back to normal). So now, character and NPC names (not nameplates) scale with distance so when I am far away I can see a barrage of huge green names in the city. Super annoying. I went to the live version of the game, messed with the slider there, and same issue. NPC and Character names are massive at a distance.

It was discovered in a different thread that downloading the AdvancedInterfaceOptions addon has something to fix this! In the addon section open this addon up and do the following:

  • Go to CVar Browser
  • Search WorldTextMinSize at the top
  • Click it
  • Type the desired value (‘Normal’ Size is 0)
  • Hit Enter

That should fix it!

If you want a solution that doesn’t involve addons I also found you can run the following command in game:

/run C_CVar.SetCVar(“WorldTextMinSize”, 0)

This worked for me also on the beta where this addon wasn’t available.

I hope this thread might help someone who runs into this weird bug and issue. I tried to report a ticket to get assistance, but automated Blizzard Help didn’t work. I previously tried removing all addons, Scan & Repair, Delete WTF/Interface/Cache, Uninstalling the whole game and none of those worked. But the above both did.

7 Likes

I am trying to get my nameplates in beta to be small/normal size and wonder if you have any updated tips. I hate how big they are and was hoping for an in-game solution that does not require add-ons.

I will try your script tip and see if it helps.

I suggest moving this thread to the beta forum.

  1. So people can see helpful options for beta.
  2. So Blizz is aware of the issues.

Can we maybe get this fixed? Turning off all nameplates in options prevents it, but it also only displays default nameplates and removes TRP ones.

I didn’t just post it in Beta because this is also an issue in live game as my post said. It’s both!