Microsoft buying Activision

I bought mine a few years back, when it was around $40. So hopefully this will improve the value a ton :slight_smile:

1 Like

Railroad??

3 Likes

Again this assumes Blizzard is a money maker for Activision, and on the quarterly calls it’s apparent their money comes from CoD and Candy Crush with Blizz performing above the line but not nearly as well as the other 2 properties.

Phil could have an interest in WoW but lets be real here, there’s no shot the current leadership get to stay on.

I highly doubt this would occur due to the fact that most classes have serious button bloat. That isn’t to say some okay using a controller just to meme the game, yet it makes it much harder as toy have to cycle binds constantly to use abilities during flights.

I do hope though this is a good thing, I hope that they don’t drastically change the game. As that would seriously cause a ton of issues, I’m not surprised however that their ending bought out. It was only a matter of time with the scandal, and the higher ups that are still part of the company and part of the scandal itself. To find a way to weasle out of trouble, and I hope Bobby gets replaced eventually.

Waiting for the next Steam sale. I missed the winter event, so I’ll probably grab it during the spring sale.

Still mad about FF7 being priced at $70.

1 Like

That will be interesting to see if they try to push that.

Apparently not.

Bobby Kotick will continue to serve as CEO of Activision Blizzard, and he and his team will maintain their focus on driving efforts to further strengthen the company’s culture and accelerate business growth.

Haven’t looked at the more recent quarterly calls, but WoW is consistently cited as one of their three most profitable titles, right next to Candy Crush and Call of Duty.

Why? It’s not below the line or activision would have done something by now. Heck, the devs probably have more money to work with now

It’s going to be great news for all the WoW haters since WoW will now finally be cancelled, the revenue and income it delivers will be a tenth of an eighth of not much compared to the rest of the franchises in Microsoft’s stable. Those WoW haters will finally be put out of their misery and will no longer be forced to play a game they hate.

It’s in third compared to the other two. There’s only 3 properties owned by these companies that do well. If you’re at Blizz this isn’t great news because layoffs will be coming.

Huh… this is very interesting.

MS swooped in and bought a heck of a lot of IPs with this.

As for Bobby, he’ll be gone in 3-6 mos once transition is complete. MS won’t tolerate him for the long haul; they’re too focused on PR for that.

As for what they do with WoW, Diablo, etc… hm… I see them really looking hard at CoD and OW, but unsure what they’ll do with WoW. Not a great track record on that style of game (see: AC). Wonder if they include it in the MS pass and go maint-mode with in-game store heavier than currently.

Who knows- going to be interesting regardless.

Considering take overs usually take a long time before a final offer is finally put in place, I reckon Microsoft was smart to bite at this time.

Microsoft is paying $95,- per stock which comes down to 68.7 billion. Considering Blizzard stock is now around $65 Microsoft could only make an offer like this due to the ongoing drama. Take into account that Actiblizz stock sat at around 90-100 at their peak (before the drama). Basically Microsoft is saying they will buy them at their original stock value, which must hurt for Actiblizz. I doubt Microsoft would’ve been willing to pay $150 per stock when things were going well. And even then, Actiblizz could’ve demanded a higher sum - not so much now lol.

And that’s a bad thing? I thought people didn’t like the ‘current leadership’?

I think you’re weirdly opposed to this for some reason. There’s no precedent or indication that what you’re saying is what will happen.

WoW is a money maker. Microsoft won’t just abandon it.

1 Like

probably not.

Their future is game pass on PC or streaming games on other platforms.

Thankful for this news. Great start to the day. Maybe there is some hope for retail.

1 Like

Hopefully it means a change at the top. So far M$ has proven to be fairly hands off with their developers, because Phil Spencer seems to be a genuine gaming fan and like us has become tired of seeing beloved franchises being run into the ground by bean-counters.

1 Like

Not according to the Microsoft article.

Bobby Kotick will continue to serve as CEO of Activision Blizzard, and he and his team will maintain their focus on driving efforts to further strengthen the company’s culture and accelerate business growth.

Something was gonna happen. I was hoping Disney would buy Blizzard from Activision. I didn’t think Microsoft would just swallow Activision whole.

Well, people were pretty alarmed when Activision merged with Blizz, and things have gone down hill. But not too many folks are outraged about this. So maybe its good.

I guess time will tell.

especially since a bunch of people bought it when it was under $25.