Message to the Classic Dev Team

Classic Dev Team,

Thank you guys so much for what you are doing! Classic World of WarCraft is my all time favorite game and I havn’t been able to experience it properly in what feels like a lifetime. I know there is a lot of anger, fear, and anticipation on this forum but it’s all truly out of love. We all really want this project to skyrocket and succeed! So once again thank you guys all for your hard work!

Also I have a few little questions to sneak in here. Are you guys being treated with the correct amount of patience/time needed to complete the project? If Activision or anyone else is putting the weight on you, there might be a way to get them to back off! How is the team being funded? Is there a way for us to be sure that we are funding you guys? I don’t want the money I spend on Classic being used to benefit Retail WoW over you guys at all. Thanks again!

1 Like

The work that the developers themselves do I’m sure is great stuff, and the fear mostly comes from the higher ups deciding to implement stuff we don’t want.

Though when it comes to funding with a company this size then the way that it money you give them will go to any number of other projects, or possibly just lining the pockets of the executives.

The money simply goes to Activision Blizzard, and they decide to allocate a budget on a project when they green light it.

So it’s not really “the money we spend supports retail” as much as it’s “the money we spend supports Activision Blizzard, which makes retail WoW and a bunch of other games too”

That said, if we subscribe to the game and only ever play Classic WoW: They’ll know it. They have internal metrics telling them what server we’re on and for how long we play.

3 Likes

I assure you that the bulk of your money is going to go into executive bonuses and shareholder dividends.

2 Likes

That makes a bit more sense. And good. I’m glad at least they will know.

What’s the source of funds for classic? Care to guess?

Overwatch?

(or more seriously, a combination of money from all their other games)

1 Like

Exactly, including BfA.
It’s getting really old with this “I don’t want my money to fund BfA”. Why do you even care if you’re getting the game you want anyway?
If Blizzard is providing me with the entertainment I want, I don’t give a damn what else they’re doing as the only thing I care is Classic really.

People want Blizzard to know that they don’t like BfA is the whole point of saying they don’t want to support it.

Our entire market is based on the idea of “voting with your money”, and people want Blizzard to know they’re voting for Classic and not BfA when they subscribe to World of Warcraft.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Blizzard knows it. Even though Blizz refuses to post sub numbers, recent evidence points to some rather pathetic situation. I’m sure they know.

And I’m pretty sure Blizz will have statistics separately for BfA and Classic even with a universal subscription. It’s not hard to see which client people are launching and what they’re playing.

Right. Ythisens even told some naive player as much in a post here on the forums back in November:

“+” If you’re being held against your will to develop content for retail but you want to work on classic