Mekgineer Thermaplugg In The Shadowlands (9.1 Spoilers)

It’s based on rehabilitation, not retribution, and it seems like the Maw was more of a purgatory than a hell before Zovaal got to it. The idea that Warcraft’s afterlife is more than the typical “wicked souls go to X plane, nice souls go to Y plane” is one of the more interesting aspects SL introduced.

Remember that when the Arbiter looks someone over, it’s like Minority Report. She sees not just what you are and have done, but what you are capable of as well. If you are impossible to ever be rehabilitated, into the Maw you go. But callous, pointless cruelty is generally not how Warcraft villains operate. They more often tend to be tragic figures. Or, attempted tragic figures.

Sylvanas may have been bound to the Maw because she was always (supposed to be) cunning and ambitious enough to want to break the entire system. When the Arbiter got hold of her soul, she would have seen that. And probably decided to dump her into the Maw.

5 Likes

You’re conflating the sin itself with your personal guilt.

People on Revendreth are unrepentant, but the Arbiter perceived them capable of it. If you’re 100% unrepentant, 100% zero doubt of your actions in your mind, you’re damned.

It’s parallel IRL Purgatory vs Hell.

It’s the harmatology and soteriology of literally all the Abrahamic faiths (except some weird Protestants). Murder is murder regardless of if it’s one or one hundred, murdering one person isn’t “better” than murdering one hundred. Lol

Soooo on revendreth I remember it was started in the zone that the Venthyr didn’t have a set list of sins that they ascribed to all who come there, but sins are based off the culture that being came from. Cause one persons sin stone IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY has singing or such as one of his sins.

Thank goodness that literally every legal system on planet Earth throws that nonsensical deontological crap right in the trash. Murder of multiple people earns you a harsher sentence than just one, and rightly so.

“Steal a sandwich but refuse to ever repent? The Maw! Obliterate a non-negligible fraction of the universe but feel bad about it? Revendreth”

Any system of ethics that is totally devoid of any consequentialist components at all—in the sense that consequences aren’t considered even a tiny bit—is so unspeakably evil, I can’t even imagine there are people who actually believe in it.

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re mad at over half the world but ok

3 Likes

Correction: zero percent of the world. If you can find me a single society that believes all unrepentant first-time shoplifters should be imprisoned for life, while all repentant mass murderers are let go, do tell. As it stands, all criminal justice systems are consequentialist—where the severity of a crime’s consequences are the primary determiner of the severity of the sentence—because all people know deep down, that that’s what’s just. They can pretend they believe in harmatology, but the legal system is a perfect “walk the talk” proof of what the world thinks.

4 Likes

Okay New Atheist

1 Like

When I posted in the Future of the Gnomes thread… I was hoping for something better than this.

A major gnome villain reduced to a battle pet. That’s rough.

Real rough.

3 Likes

Sounds awesome to me in the sense that I can’t think of a worse punishment for Thermoplugg then to be an obedient pet for the player character.

I hate how they have to change the characters names, seems very inconsistent writing

Gnomes are a joke race.

Given that Denathrius was in league with the Jailer for a while, along with many of those in his circle, I think it’s safe to assume a lot of those we encounter in the Maw were lowkey tossed there by Denathrius to serve the Jailer’s goals even before the Arbiter was broken.

2 Likes

Yeah this has me kind of perplexed but everyone else seems to understand. I guess I didn’t read the article or follow the data mining.

How did people find out who he was if he has a different name, identity, and model? Is it explained why his name changed? Have other characters we might know changed their names and identities in the afterlife?

I am not sure what to make of all this. It also seems about pet battles, and that is an aspect of the game I don’t participate much in, so I am not deeply interested. It just makes me wonder.

1 Like

It’s in Mord’al Eveningstar’s in-game description, which is mentioned in the WoWHead link from OP.

A ruthless tormentor of the smallest souls. Some say he was known in life as “Thermaplugg”.

1 Like

This is also a strawman. Because this isn’t a analog of being 'imprisoned for life" for shoplifting.

But if you really wanted to get into it, The System in the Arbiter is actually MORE FAR JUST then our modern day justice system. The Arbitor passes judgement without bias or prejudice. In the Arbiter’s system, all criminals are made equal and their redemption is determined entirely on their own willingness and desire to be redeemed.

Our justice system, on the otherhand, DOES condemn a man to life in prison for Shoplifting, for no more then getting an incompetent attorney, a partisan DA, or because it’s a friday and the Judge wants to go home early.

Because even Prisons in today aren’t suppose to be retributive and punitive. Prisons are intended for corrective effects and rehabilitation of those who’ve committed their crimes and harsh penalties are meant to be reserved for repeat offenders and those who have demonstrated no desire to be reformed.

But that has been forgotten in our society today and Prisons are seen as “refuse pits” to dump any “undesirables” that everyday folk just don’t want to deal with, often with small time offenders getting lumped in together with hardened criminals. And if they manage to make it out alive, they’re scarred for life and end up worst then they were going in.

This is true. In the Revendreth storyline, Denathrius is having his minions judge souls unjustly as irredeemable. If the Accuser wasn’t there to save a soul, he would of been condemned to the Maw for nothing.

1 Like

Thermaplugg deserves this. I hope he’s a tortured husk of a minion after what he did to glorious Gnomeregan, and I hope his abilities as a battle pet are subpar so that he’ll be forever benched beneath the oceans of pet cages the Jailer forgot he collected.

Why just enemies? Why not friends too? Imagine Mekkatorque becoming a battle pet in Bastion after he snaps his fingers to kill the Jailer, then we send him and Thermaplugg through Gnomeregan… TOGETHER… because after all, they are two different sides of the same Gnomish coin, aren’t they? Like the Joker and Batman…

How many times has he died in the lore and always survived? It is nice to know that he is finally dead this time.

At least two since he was killed in vanilla, heavily implied in Mekkatorque’s leader story, and then finally killed with Cataclysm.