Medium pop still has login queue

man these forums are always full of the biggest whiniest babies. finally push out classic, something everyone for the longest time said would never happen. and when they do release it with imperfections, all people want to do is cry like they’re calling the Walmart crybaby hotline, expecting to get placated, cooed and a giftcard so they’ll shut up and keep consuming product

8 Likes

Really archimonde crashed and we couldn’t play the server for an entire week. That’s not an exaggeration, the entire week the server was down. 6 hour queues are nothing compared to vanilla launch.

1 Like

So the issue there is yes there was a long wait for servers but they could open 200 servers but if people dont GET OUT of the queue for the full servers they will remain stuck with a 5+ hour queue as the number didnt go down.

1 Like

Forced to restart? They’ve played for a day. If they are actually friends, they will restart without objection.

3 Likes

So what you’re saying is you all grossly underestimated everything everyone has been telling you from the player side of things and you devs just kind of ignored the outcry of the people going “I’m gonna be the one to say I told you so”

2 Likes

1 PVP server for the entire oceanic region.

I am shocked and surprised there were 15k queues! Nobody could have predicted this.

2 Likes

so getting a guild of 40+ members to restart for 1 dude, without knowing if they’ll even all make it to new server with that one being locked in half a second, is easy to do? you ever run a guild at all and have to babysit these bleeps?

4 Likes

You should have had more servers up during the name reservation. You won’t get many people willing to move to new servers now risking the name game. This is one area of this game Blizzard has continually done poorly addressing. It’s a shame really.

4 Likes

What hurts community more, locking servers so friends can’t even attempt to play together, or just adding more layers?

3 Likes

People seems to be more dense then usual. While I was frustrated with not being able even to get in, “devs” and “blues” are not decision makers. They are just grunts (pardon) who are trying to make the best out of the worse situation in the form of painfully wrong directions handed to them by the so called management…

Very simply, servers aren’t designed for every single person to be logged on at the same time. A server can have a medium population but if everyone tries to log on at the same time the server will not be able to handle it.

There is no way around this. If you had it so each server only had a population limited to the amount of people that can be logged on at once the server would be dead as soon as people revert to their normal playing schedules rather than the hype from launch.

Simple example:

Server can handle 1000 people total

They only let 1000 people make characters on there.

After launch everyone goes back to playing at different times for 4 hours a day (optimistic).

This would mean approximately 166 people on at a time (dead server).

Instead they let 3000 people make characters. Yes some are mad at launch when they can’t get on but when everyone reverts to 4 hours a day at different times there are now 500 people logged in on average. Server is populated and there is no queue.

3 Likes

If free character transfers are a long term solution, why not implement it now so entire guilds or small communities can transfer off of high population to low population servers to help balance things out. Simply opening new servers might not be enough to entice people to move.

The reason why servers are staying full with incredibly long Q times that you will see again around peak time today is because half of guilds got on and leveled to 10-20 while the other half couldn’t get in so now guilds are forced with the hard decision to leave or not and in many cases they are not. So free character transfers from now will help with this.

8 Likes

Makes sense, lets see it be ignored.

Remember when blizzard said, “you think you do, but you don’t”? Yeah.

( and yes I am sure the servers will die down eventually and lots will leave )

That philosophy is still driving this train. Blizzard believes huge chunks of people will leave soon. That’s why they think layering can turn off in phase 2. If at least 50% of a full server doesn’t quit by phase 2 then they gonna be screwed.

Get dem servers out

Watcher is Ion.

So, you know, maybe? I don’t know how their internal deliberations went, but he’s the game director, he probably had a pretty significant say in it.

(Which is why I actually think it’s good that he came here himself to talk about it.)

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to give insight into this decision making process, and to provide explanation for why things are the way they are. While some folks may not agree, I would hope that the majority of us appreciate the communication on this front :slight_smile:

6 Likes

People did it all the time in Vanilla. Hell, people always have and continue to stop playing character that have months of play time on them to roll an alt. Ten hours is small change next to the amount of time which will be invested in a character over the long haul.

Really? I remember realms showing as “Full” back in the day.