Medium pop still has login queue

As I drove home from work today, I still had that feeling in the pit of my stomach:
Someday, Classic will begin.
I came to my senses and remembered it already started. I remembered I had gotten my main to damn near level 9, and everything was okay. Then when I got home, I tried to log in.
My point is I had that feeling in the pit of my stomach. I realize that this is only after a day, however, I have never felt this way about a game before. I don’t want to play retail. Classic is the game that I want to play. I want to go home.
Blizzard,
If you’re playing the long game, I never got to experience Naxxramas (40 man) in its true entirety, and neither has the majority of player base. Open the flood gates.
-Lephryk (Atiesh)

1 Like

I just want to add my voice to the general chatter that is more than disappointed with this launch. I only re-subscribed to play Classic. The last time I paid a monthly fee for a Blizzard service was during Cata. I even subbed early so I could reserve my name on the server my friends wanted to play on. Literally bait and switch - wasting the time on my subscription while you sit on your hands.

I don’t want to play on another server. I don’t want to play without my friends. I shouldn’t have to wait literally 8 hours or more to log in and be able to play. Got home tonight at 4pm, it’s 9pm and there are still 11,000 people in queue on my server.

I’m against any add-on that keeps people logged in when they should get auto-disconnected, but Blizzard shouldn’t be focusing on that - they need to make a playable launch.

I completely understand that they want layering to be removed in phase 2…but isn’t that the POINT of layering? So that more people can be logged in during launch? As far as constructive criticism goes - why don’t they just open up more and more layers so that more people can log in and enjoy the game?

6 Likes

TLDR; there’s no way these realms are going to be long term stable.
Over 24 hours in anyone serious about classic who started yesterday is going to feel locked to whatever server their new toon is on, with their guildmates, family and friends all now sitting in queues.
Meanwhile the tourists are checking things out today at 5pm-10pm peak times filling up newly opened servers than will die horribly, and you want me to move there to dodge the queue? When will the transfer happen so I can level and then go to where I want to be? Just asking…

2 Likes

The other isssue is that these super long queues are resulting in people manipulating them to never log off so they dont get stuck for hours.

2 Likes

Initially a 35 minute estimated wait time…

But I’ve been in Queue for over 4 hours…

Current estimated wait time: 24 minutes…

“Medium” population…

God Blizzard, admit that it was YOU who messed up for once… not us. It’s really getting annoying at this point.

It was at 4am central time bud. Almost every other realm but Herod (the one i’m on) and a few others showed low pop.

Offer free transfers and we’ll talk.

Such a good answer honestly.

Sir, I am not very happy with your response. I understand there are difficulties, but waiting in those 10 hours long queues, I did not feel like treated as a valuable customer… :cry:

What could your team have done BETTER? And what are the immediate next steps to RESOLVE customer pain? I planned with friends to play together, but we all have work to do and can’t wait in lines for 10 hours every night. :angry:

Please follow up on the next immediate actions to relieve this pain.:handshake:

2 Likes

I honestly think too many people don’t want to give up their names/guild names. I would think opening up a new realm or two for direct transfers only from Herod, then a server or two only open for direct transfers from Faerlina, and then etc.

This would allow people to move to a pristine realm with their character names intact and maybe even allow guild transfers too so they keep those names.

Hell, allow them to keep their character names on the original server too! I don’t care, just get some people to leave so the queue isn’t insane from 7 am to midnight.

8 hours… jeeeez… that’s annoying. I wanna play after work not just wait in queue… :frowning:

1 Like

Just increase allowed server players at once. Add more servers for realms. I want play in highly populated server but I don’t want wait 8hr-long queues.

2 Likes

He is the game director, so yes.

Watcher is Ion.

The warning that Herod was full occurred before classic launched. They let players create up to 3 characters, not per realm but in total.

There was a massive amount of characters created on Herod, and the warning was to move to a different realm during this pre-launch character reservation period.

If people didn’t heed that warning it’s on them. Personally, I moved to a new realm when they advised they expected 10,000 person queues on Herod.

And then after launch, the queue on that new realm was 2 hours so I moved again to a newly created realm and had no queue time. Last night on day 2 that new server had a couple hundred person queue which lasted 3 minutes.

1 Like

I’m still trying to figure out HOW they think we have a server community 3 days into launch… server communities take Months to form… Servers should be fluid for the first few weeks allowing players to move and settle down where all of their friends/family/coworkers are.

Why would it have been no warning?? All they had to do was state during name reservation “we are going to cap realms as they reach full capacity to protect the server integrity”.

Pretty easy, all the uber name reserve tryhards would still get to make their characters together, more casual players would come later, you could’ve coordinated with your friends if you REALLY wanted them to give up their name on a full realm and move elsewhere as more realms opened prior to launch.

IDK not that hard honestly, would’ve been a WAY better look than this strategy.

I think the hubris of what they’ve done is a kind of subtle form of retail game management and design philosophy creeping into Classic, in terms of trying to have your cake and eat it too, wanting to cater to every potential player type (a noble aspiration, maybe) but at the unrealistic cost of not requiring people to make decisions that actually matter.

Meaning if you’re pretty hardcore and you have a friend that it would maybe have been nice to have on your server but he’s extremely casual and you signed up at different times and he couldn’t get in before server was locked, maybe you just have to bite the bullet. I mean most of my IRL and retail WoW friends are completely segregated across different servers anyways in Classic.

I don’t envy your job. Really I don’t!

I do believe you when you say being stuck in long queues is not the experience the team wants anyone to have. The more people are invested in the game, spending time in it playing it means they are likely to continue subscribing.

My question is for the long queue times? Beyond expecting people to simply move to a different server? Is there any way you could perhaps “merge” servers (even if it may not be #no changes) to allow for a bit more overhead to reduce the long queue times for players that already are on that server? I admit I don’t know much about servers/etc.

I will note that when I logged on Bloodsail the other night it was a 30 minutes queue which isn’t as bad as some obviously. Last night I was able to log in right away but the server booted me while playing. I was able to log back in but it did say that the server was full by that point when it had only been medium when I first logged in.

Kind regards and thanks!

So how about empty and full

I appreciate everything y’all do and thank you for keeping us updated when more then half of the forums are complaining. Classic is a wonderful time, I have been enjoying it very much, reminds me of the good ol’ days!

1 Like