Mechanical keyboards

I literally just noticed I’ve been using the same keyboard for the past 10 years or so. :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated: It’s a 10-keyless WASDv2 with Cherry MX Green switches. Still works perfectly (albeit, most of the keys are missing their legends now). I like the colour combo for this keyboard though (orange modifiers with white alphanumeric and a black chassis; it’s a great look).

I don’t actually need the legend to type anyway (I don’t look at the keyboard when I type), so I’ve put off replacing the keycaps for a long time. Can’t remember how long ago the legend wore away.

:fox_face:

That’s the thing about some computer parts like cases, monitors, mice, and keyboards - you can use them for nearly forever (vs. parts you know you’ll have to upgrade eventually) until something major happens that inconveniences you or grinds you to a halt.

I had used a PC case for like 20 years before I got the one I have now (it still had a spot for two floppy disk drives for age reference). I only changed to the one I have now because:

• I was using a (non-modular) power supply with so many power cables that there was barely any room left for airflow (remember, this is an ancient case with no wire routing on the back side).
  • I upgraded to a new GPU that barely left any room between it and the drive bays

I was still using a 60hz monitor up until the beginning of COVID and only upgraded because I had bought the 3080TI when it was released, and the FPS performance boost caused screen tearing.

I only replace mice when they die.

I replaced my mechanical keyboard recently. One day, some of my keys started double-typing and got progressively worse over time, making entering passwords a headache. I tried everything involving software updates, driver reinstallation, firmware updates, scanning for errors & data corruption. I knew it was a done deal when the issues continued to happen connected to another PC. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a board with hot-swap switches and would require soldering. I can solder but didn’t feel like dealing with it.

Open mics and mechanical keyboards are a match made in Hell. I buy keyboards that have a tactile feel to the keystrokes, but don’t make a lot of noise.

I’m not usually on voice chat (though, everyone else can deal with it when I am :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:).

Though I do have another keyboard about as old with Cherry MX Clears; used to have rubber o-rings on it too so that it’d be as quiet as possible (since that one I used when around other people, though I don’t use it anymore (anyway, I prefer the sound of my louder keyboard)).

As someone who uses mechanical keyboard and an open microphone, this is true only if:

1. You get a keyboard with blue (or maybe brown depending on how bad you are at #2) switches. Try using the red switches. Those are the linear switches with very little “clicky” noise and absolutely insanely sensitive response (pretty sure I actuated a key stroke when I sneezed on it).

2. Do not understand how cardioid microphones work (hint: imagine a giant ice cream cone attached to your mic, anything inside that cone is being captured by the microphone) or are using the same microphones that come with webcams (which should be illegal). NEVER, EVER, EVER use an omnidirectional microphone. That’s like rubbing salt/lemon/alcohol solution into a paper cut.

Having said that, mechanical keyboards are great. Get the correct switches (especially ones that are “hot swappable”, which basically means you can change them–no not while you’re using them, that would be insane) and keycaps and you would be amazed at how pleasant the typing experience can be (I’m not going to claim you’ll be more productive or better at gaming, since I kind of suck at gaming–oh look pretty fire, I feel warm standing in it).

I think I’ve tried about a dozen different mechanical keyboards thus far and the one I’ve settled on is Keychron K1 Pro (because TKL FTW!!!). Although their latest K1 Max is looking interesting since the one major drawback with the K1 Pro is that for wireless, you have to use Bluetooth and that is Evil Incarnate ™*.

• Not really, just that Bluetooth anything is really dependent on the chipset used on the computer and mine’s kind of brain-dead (Mediatek DIE IN A FIRE!!!).
1 Like

Alienwares most expensive keyboard is what I have. Works great buts it is loud, bout $350.00 shipped.

I use a keyboard with a PS-2 interface and no Windows buttons provided, a heavy, loud, and seemingly indestructible piece of equipment, built by or for Packard-Bell, at some point between 1990 and 2000.
I had bought some old computers. paying scrap price, just for the opportunity to take them apart, to see how they were put together. My key-board is salvage from that time.

1 Like

Absolutely this.

I’ve been using this keyboard with the Red switches since 2016-ish and it’s flawless:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cherry-mx-board-6-0/

Probably the most well-made, solid piece of computer hardware I’ve ever owned; going strong for 7-8 years and will still be using it 20+ years from now.

And yeah, those switches are insanely responsive.